Samsung U32H850 31.5" 4K or LG 27UK850-W 27" 4K

tuunade98

I would be using the monitor for 4k blu ray content off my plex server and for console gaming(PS4 PRO).

Which one would you guys recommend and why? 

I gotta factor in the hdmi 1.4 reciever I have as well, meaning I may not be able to get the dolby truehd and dts hdma audio decoding with 4k hdr, as hdmi 1.4 only supports 4k at 30hz without HDR. 

This would also be my secondary monitor to my current 1080p ASUS pg248q 180hz monitor, Which would be my primary for pc gaming. 

I would go with Samsung over LG whenever possible.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you're just talking about the brand name now.. in this situation the samsung has pretty bad response time, but it probably has a lot better image quality because of quantom dot.

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I would go with Samsung over LG whenever possible.

I wouldnt. When i bought my 4k monitor there were 2 choices for the same price. Either a TN panel from samsung, or a IPS panel from LG. Of course i picked the ips over tn. You need to look at tge specs, not the brand. In my example the TN panel has worse colors and viewing angles than ips.

For your 2 choices OP, the samsung appears to be VA, so "as usual colour consistency and viewing angle performance will not be as strong as on IPS-type panels."

The Lg on the other hand is IPS and hdr.

Also the samsung is only 250cd/m² Brightness, while LG is much brighter with 450.

So once again for whatever reason Samsung doesnt use IPS, so i would choose the LG. But it depends on what screen size you want.

30 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I wouldnt. When i bought my 4k monitor there were 2 choices for the same price. Either a TN panel from samsung, or a IPS panel from LG. Of course i picked the ips over tn. You need to look at tge specs, not the brand. In my example the TN panel has worse colors and viewing angles than ips.

For your 2 choices OP, the samsung appears to be VA, so "as usual colour consistency and viewing angle performance will not be as strong as on IPS-type panels."

The Lg on the other hand is IPS and hdr.

Also the samsung is only 250cd/m² Brightness, while LG is much brighter with 450.

So once again for whatever reason Samsung doesnt use IPS, so i would choose the LG. But it depends on what screen size you want.

I suggest you go to rtings.com and read some reviews.

Just because one is IPS and the other is VA does not mean that IPS is automatically better.

There are many other things that affect the image quality.

EDIT- nvm I thought he was talking about tvs not monitors.

There are other sites that will review monitors.

Ignore my first post.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I suggest you go to rtings.com and read some reviews.

Just because one is IPS and the other is VA does not mean that IPS is automatically better.

There are many other things that affect the image quality.

Well next time don't just say "I would go with Samsung over LG whenever possible." without giving any explanations, because then you sound just like a blind fanboy. Give some meaningful insights too.

Right now the info i have is:

LG is much brighter and has HDR support, has better colors and viewing angles thanks to IPS, but is smaller in size also has usb type c.

Samsung has quantom dot backlight, but lacks HDR certification and is dimmer (250 cd/m2 is very dim in sunny climates or well lit offices) and has 1 ms faster response time (4ms vs 5) and it is bigger in size.

They both are very good displays, have usb hubs built in  and have nice stands and vesa mounts. 

The LG is cheaper and is a little better, so it is my pick. 

9 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Well next time don't just say "I would go with Samsung over LG whenever possible." without giving any explanations, because then you sound just like a blind fanboy. Give some meaningful insights too.

LG is much brighter and has HDR support, has better colors and viewing angles thanks to IPS, but is smaller in size also has usb type c.

Samsung has quantom dot backlight, but lacks HDR certification and is dimmer (250 cd/m2 is very dim in sunny climates or well lit offices) and has 1 ms faster response time (4ms vs 5) and it is bigger in size.

They both are very good displays, have usb hubs built in  and have nice stands and vesa mounts. 

Read the edit.

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

I wouldn't be able to use hdmi audio passthrough though would I? My receiver is only hdmi 1.4 and I would definitely want 4k HDR when I'm using my ps4 pro, and preferably decent 7.1 audio. I don't even think the stupid ps4 supports dolby truehd or dts hd-ma for games... but I know it supports 5.1 dts bitstreaming, 5.1 dolby bitstreaming and linear PCM 7.1. I currently use 7.1 PCM, but i believe I wouldn't be able to without hdmi audio passthrough. 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the only way to achieve 4k + hdr and decent audio decoding is to buy a hdmi 2.0 compatible receiver right? 

9 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

I wouldn't be able to use hdmi audio passthrough though would I? My receiver is only hdmi 1.4 and I would definitely want 4k HDR when I'm using my ps4 pro, and preferably decent 7.1 audio. I don't even think the stupid ps4 supports dolby truehd or dts hd-ma for games... but I know it supports 5.1 dts bitstreaming, 5.1 dolby bitstreaming and linear PCM 7.1. I currently use 7.1 PCM, but i believe I wouldn't be able to without hdmi audio passthrough. 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the only way to achieve 4k + hdr and decent audio decoding is to buy a hdmi 2.0 compatible receiver right? 

Yes i belive that you need hdmi 2.0 for HDR, but what is the deal with the receivers, can't you plug the PS4 straight into the monitor?

23 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

Yes i belive that you need hdmi 2.0 for HDR, but what is the deal with the receivers, can't you plug the PS4 straight into the monitor?

Yes I can plug directly into the montior, but that would defeat the purpose of 7.1 audio formats such as Dolby truehd and dts hdma, Which I don't think the ps4 pro supports anyway. But if I were to play 4k HDR blu Ray content off my PC that is a different story.