GoFundMe for getting Crunchy Dragon an SSD

RollTime

It's all explained at the GoFundMe. Please join me in this endeavor, anything is appreciated (except hate).

-removed-

(Yes, that's my real name. Nobody dox me please)

@Crunchy Dragon We all love you!

Edited by colonel_mortis
Although it has now ended, I have removed the link. See the recommended post above.
it's time

as much as I would support this, is this even really allowed?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

as much as I would support this, is this even really allowed?

I am unsure. Thought I'd try it.

it's time

I need a new CPU, now let's get started.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Why? Sure, SSDs are faster, but IMO, they're not worth it unless you've got cash to burn. I'm not going to chip in money, nor would I ever ask or recommend someone to, just to buy someone an SSD when they've said that they're pretty frickin' happy with their machine as it is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

59 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I need a new CPU, now let's get started.

I mean, Crunchy is a mod and a well known one at that. He/She is well loved by the forum. You can make one but I don't think you'll get much support. I'm pretty sure no one is donating here anyway, just thought it'd be fun to make.

58 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why? Sure, SSDs are faster, but IMO, they're not worth it unless you've got cash to burn. I'm not going to chip in money, nor would I ever ask or recommend someone to, just to buy someone an SSD when they've said that they're pretty frickin' happy with their machine as it is.

because this is linus tech tips 

Also, the performance upgrade is MASSIVE even just with a SATA one. I'm never going back. I honestly do think this makes a big difference in usability.

it's time

Just now, Keith W said:

Including you it would seem

I wanted to see if anyone would actually chip in before I myself donated. But check again.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

Also, the performance upgrade is MASSIVE even just with a SATA one.

The theoretical upgrade is massive. For general consumer use, an 850 Evo is not that massive an upgrade over a decent 7200RPM spinner. Also, you hit diminishing returns moving from SATA III to NVMe, there's no realistic upgrade beyond that 850 Evo, just burning more money. Slightly longer load times, big woop. Load times with a decent HDD is still fairly fast, if the platform itself is decent.

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I'm never going back. I honestly do think this makes a big difference in usability.

I go between a 5930K @4.5GHz paired with an 850 Evo, 950 Pro, and Sandisk Extreme II, and an i3-4130T paired with a 5400RPM spinner constantly. There is an improvement, but the overall difference in usability is pathetic, the 4130T is the bottleneck in the system, not its recycled Dell laptop HDD.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The theoretical upgrade is massive. For general consumer use, an 850 Evo is not that massive an upgrade over a decent 7200RPM spinner. Also, you hit diminishing returns moving from SATA III to NVMe, there's no realistic upgrade beyond that 850 Evo, just burning more money. Slightly longer load times, big woop. Load times with a decent HDD is still fairly fast, if the platform itself is decent.

I go between a 5930K @4.5GHz paired with an 850 Evo, 950 Pro, and Sandisk Extreme II, and an i3-4130T paired with a 5400RPM spinner constantly. There is an improvement, but the overall difference in usability is pathetic, the 4130T is the bottleneck in the system, not its recycled Dell laptop HDD.

Is this really about whether or not Crunchy needs one?

This is about meme GoFundMes. That's what this is about.

it's time

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Would also like to point out, when i got my 850 Evo, either i am just dumb or i really didn't see a windows or game boot/loading times between my 850 Evo and WD blue

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

On my old laptop with an i5-460M (1st gen Core i), the SSD proved a pretty massive upgrade in responsiveness, so much so that it runs rings around the HDD based machines (Haswell and better) at work. Though, at the time, it wasn't an important enough thing that it took my original HDD dying before taking the plunge.

Can't I just send this thing in the mail?

IMG_20180327_184224.jpg

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

46 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is this for real? I'm flattered.

I assumed the response would be more positive, but yes.

45 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That... that would work, yes.

it's time

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I assumed the response would be more positive, but yes.

I mean, if I can get a free SSD, no way I'm turning it down.

*watch as I literally donate to this*

/s I don't have the cash for one lol

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I couldn't disagree more (at least with the first bit). The lower latency of an SSD is easily noticeable and worthwhile imo -- that said, the faster throughput of a high end SATA/NVME SSD is largely irrelevant (so even the cheapest non-DRAMLESS SSD is just as good for most people) and worthwhile for most people. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

they've said that they're pretty frickin' happy with their machine as it is.

When did I ever say that? I always said that I never had the budget for an SSD, favoring other things such as RAM or CPU over it.

Trust me, an SSD is on the list of things to upgrade to this year, but right now I just don't have the cash for one. If one comes my way, I wouldn't turn it down. I'd also like a more recent GPU(sights set on a 1080).

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

I've also got a 120GB 840 EVO I'm not using, or is it 240GB? I don't actually know heh.

Edit:

Shipping form NZ would probably suck though, easier to just give money.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

When did I ever say that? I always said that I never had the budget for an SSD, favoring other things such as RAM or CPU over it.

Trust me, an SSD is on the list of things to upgrade to this year, but right now I just don't have the cash for one. If one comes my way, I wouldn't turn it down. I'd also like a more recent GPU(sights set on a 1080).

Honestly I was just going to send one because I've got a stack of them and they keep spawning more lul

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I guess.

13 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

On my old laptop with an i5-460M (1st gen Core i), the SSD proved a pretty massive upgrade in responsiveness, so much so that it runs rings around the HDD based machines (Haswell and better) at work. Though, at the time, it wasn't an important enough thing that it took my original HDD dying before taking the plunge

My Alienware Alpha runs an i3-4130T and a 5400RPM 1TB spinner pulled from a low end Dell laptop. It takes a few seconds longer to load things than my i5-4460 + 850 Evo 120GB, or my 5930K @4.5GHz with the 950 Pro 256GB, 850 Evo 120GB, or Sandisk Ultra II 960GB.

The only thing that the SSDs are faster than, are my old WD Greens, which isn't shocking, Greens were pretty slow when they came out.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I couldn't disagree more (at least with the first bit). The lower latency of an SSD is easily noticeable and worthwhile imo

I can only call them worth while over cheap HDDs. Realistically, the tasks most consumers and gamers have, don't really utilize the capabilities of SSDs to warrant the increased cost over a higher end HDD.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

When did I ever say that?

Thought you said it in the common tech one doesn't use thread. Don't care enough to check.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I've also got a 120GB 840 EVO I'm not using, or is it 240GB? I don't actually know heh.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Honestly I was just going to send one because I've got a stack of them and they keep spawning more lul

This does solve the problem.

it's time

Just now, Drak3 said:

Thought you said it in the common tech one doesn't use thread. Don't care enough to check.

I never said I was happy with my machine the way it is, there are a number of things I want to change.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I never said I was happy with my machine the way it is, there are a number of things I want to change.

Well hopefully the 2 people with ssds just... sitting around... for some reason... Can change one of those things!

it's time

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Got any 4tb's in that pile ;)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ill take a free SSD and put it to work imediately. I open up enormous files daily, and waiting is overrated.

1 minute ago, RollTime said:

Well hopefully the 2 people with ssds just... sitting around... for some reason... Can change one of those things!

Time for a baby Linus SSD RAID setup.