Learning to stream games on Twitch with OBS.

Okjoek

Best way to sum up this experience so far:

885.jpg

I got my Twitch key and plugged it into OBS

I chose display capture because it seemed simple enough.

Played some Planetside 2 was awful laggy in stream so I made sure it was 720p 30fps output. Was still laggy. Tried turning down the bitrate until I settled around 1,200. Tried watching stream on both my phone and brother's PC (had some audio feedback loop when I tried to watch the stream on the same PC I was streaming from lol). That was the most watch-able I was able to get the stream though, but it still seemed a bit laggy. 

Wondering if it's just Planetside because even without background programs it easily pings out 100% utilization on all 4 of my cores and GPU. Maybe I should try on some less demanding titles, but I wanted a sort of "worst case scenario" test.

it could be laggy for you just because your watching it on the same Internet you streaming from, unless you have a high bandwidth package 

you can just turn down game settings and encoding settings in OBS

3 minutes ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

it could be laggy for you just because your watching it on the same Internet you streaming from, unless you have a high bandwidth package 

Wouldn't have thought it was an internet issue. We have Verizon Fios.

A quick test on Google just gave me 

Mbps download

Mbps upload

9 minutes ago, Yoola said:

That's not really the hardware to stream with. It barely games. (no offense, just stating facts)

My next test will be Minecraft because IIRC it only uses a single core and might help me rule the issue as my hardware.

If you're trying to do H264 encoding on a i5 3450 you'll probably run into issues with most games. I recommend you use QuickSync. Should help a lot with your streams.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

If you're trying to do H264 encoding on a i5 3450 you'll probably run into issues with most games. I recommend you use QuickSync. Should help a lot with your streams.

What's Quicksync? The only other options I see aside from H264 are Hardware (NVENC) and Hardware (AMD) Not sure what any of them do.

H264 is the one I was using though so thanks for the heads up.

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What's Quicksync? The only other options I see aside from H264 are Hardware (NVENC) and Hardware (AMD) Not sure what any of them do.

H264 is the one I was using though so thanks for the heads up.

Ohhhhh, ya know what, I think they only added Quick Sync in the 4th gen CPU's. You could try AMD, as that will use your GPU for encoding. NVENC is for Nvidia cards.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Ohhhhh, ya know what, I think they only added Quick Sync in the 4th gen CPU's. You could try AMD, as that will use your GPU for encoding. NVENC is for Nvidia cards.

Was Quicksync that thing that uses you CPU's integrated GPU to encode?

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Was Quicksync that thing that uses you CPU's integrated GPU to encode?

Yes

Quicksync only enabled if you enabled iGPU and actually plug monitor from it.

Not sure how AMD do with streaming, but have you tried the AMD software to stream? Idk how it operates but it seems people think highly of it.

There's a plugin for OBS to use framework that AMD use

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/amd-advanced-media-framework-encoder-plugin-for-obs-studio.427/

The reason why it's laggy on client side mostly because you are using cpu to encode.

16 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Not sure how AMD do with streaming, but have you tried the AMD software to stream? Idk how it operates but it seems people think highly of it.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/amd-advanced-media-framework-encoder-plugin-for-obs-studio.427/

The reason why it's laggy on client side mostly because you are using cpu to encode.

Gosh I hadn't even thought about AMD's software. I'll try streaming with Relive and see how it goes.

2 hours ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

2 hours ago, Yoola said:

That's not really the hardware to stream with. It barely games. (no offense, just stating facts)

2 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

1 hour ago, Blebekblebek said:

Okay so I just Streamed Planetside 2 again, but using AMD's Radeon Relive software instead of OBS. It made a world of difference. No more terrible lag/ stuttering at the default 3,500 bitrate @ 720p 60fps.

They even had an in-game overlay to see chat & viewers so suddenly not having a second monitor doesn't feel as terrible.

Too bad I didn't get any viewers. Planetside doesn't really draw in huge stream audiences.

One thing that still confuses me is in the Radeon control panel I turned on "Archive Stream", but I don't know how to view it. Did it save it away somewhere? I can't find it if it did.

Last thing I need to do is microphones. For the sake of this test I unplugged my mic. Is it possible to set my mic to push-to-talk? My Blue Snowball picks up a lot of background noise atleast until we move again and I can get a quiet room to myself. Also, I'm wondering if the stream would pick up my TS3/Discord members because there are instances where I may want this or may not. Is it possible to change settings for that in Relive?

1 hour ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

lol if you don't have two monitors don't stream. poor boi

Make me.