4K 24” monitor

NiPpy Gamer

Hello everyone I’m new to this forum and I’ve been looking for a new monitor( old one was a really cheap lg 1080p monitor), no specific use, most time for gaming and some school work, for most games I can keep the resolution to 1080p. The only one I can find is Dell P2415Q, wondering if there’s other options or this monitor is good. No specific budget as long as the monitor is good value for its quality.

Thank you.

Just checking: Have you ever used a 4K monitor yourself? (not a large TV). 4K at 24" is basically unusable without massive amounts of scaling, which causes issues with plenty of applications. 

I personally have a 28" 4K monitor and even that is too small for it to be usable for everyday things without scaling. I basically never run it at 4K because I can't read anything otherwise. I'd say 30"+ is where 4K makes the most sense, or at 27" for gaming.

Still, from my experience with Dell, pretty much all of their monitor's are fantastic. If I were going to recommend a 24" 4K monitor, the P2415Q would be the one. 

Thank you for your reply, I have a XPS15 with 4K display, it works just fine, and I had some concern about scaling as well. The reason I want a 24 inch is because I personally play a lot of FPS games(csgo pubg), which 24 inch is perfect, and I think 27 or 28 will just be too big for gaming. In terms of scaling, I’ve read through some reviews and they all say the scaling works better than other 4K monitors so I think I can deal with it.

6 minutes ago, NiPpy Gamer said:

Thank you for your reply, I have a XPS15 with 4K display, it works just fine, and I had some concern about scaling as well. The reason I want a 24 inch is because I personally play a lot of FPS games(csgo pubg), which 24 inch is perfect, and I think 27 or 28 will just be too big for gaming. In terms of scaling, I’ve read through some reviews and they all say the scaling works better than other 4K monitors so I think I can deal with it.

Scaling is managed through Windows, not by the monitor. Running it at a difference resolution and scaling are different things (at at least, the scaling i meant). Generally, running at a different resolution isn't much of a problem. I do that on my monitor most of the time. 

I meant using Windows scaling, which would remove the need to switch resolution when gaming, but there's quite a lot of applications that don't handle it well, even some native Windows features don't handle it well. 

I really wouldn't advise 4K at 24", but that's my take on it. If you're going to go down that route, the Dell P2415Q is the one I'd say to go with. 

Thank you for your advice I will think about it more before I make the purchase.

Just now, NiPpy Gamer said:

Thank you for your advice I will think about it more before I make the purchase.

If you have a store around you with a selection of monitors, see if you can find some 4K monitors on display. May give a better idea of how things looks at difference sizes and whether 27" is too big or not.

14 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you have a store around you with a selection of monitors, see if you can find some 4K monitors on display. May give a better idea of how things looks at difference sizes and whether 27" is too big or not.

Will do, guess it all comes down to personal reference.

I moved from a 1440p 24" monitor to a 4k 27" monitor. My Windows scaling has changed automatically from 125 to 150%, and although scaling *can* be a problem, Windows 10 has done a LOT recently to fix that.

If you are able to get a 24" 4k display, I think that's an amazing "sweet spot". For games etc, you get pixel perfect 1080 scaling (one 1080p pixel perfectly matches 4 pixels on a 4k panel), so you don't even need a super high-end gpu to game on it, but you get the productivity and clarity benefits 4k offers on a standard display.

Ever since Windows 10 1703, you can now force a "system enhanced" scaling setting on a per-application basis, so even programs that aren't properly supporting native dpi scaling can now be improved. So it's gotten *so much* better than in the past.

20 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I moved from a 1440p 24" monitor to a 4k 27" monitor. My Windows scaling has changed automatically from 125 to 150%, and although scaling *can* be a problem, Windows 10 has done a LOT recently to fix that.

If you are able to get a 24" 4k display, I think that's an amazing "sweet spot". For games etc, you get pixel perfect 1080 scaling (one 1080p pixel perfectly matches 4 pixels on a 4k panel), so you don't even need a super high-end gpu to game on it, but you get the productivity and clarity benefits 4k offers on a standard display.

Ever since Windows 10 1703, you can now force a "system enhanced" scaling setting on a per-application basis, so even programs that aren't properly supporting native dpi scaling can now be improved. So it's gotten *so much* better than in the past.

I agree with you in terms of scaling because i used to use XPS 15 for a while (can’t really get used to windows so I went back to MacBook Pro), never had any issues. I think 24 is the way to go. Thank you for your advice hope you have a nice day.

1 hour ago, NiPpy Gamer said:

Hello everyone I’m new to this forum and I’ve been looking for a new monitor( old one was a really cheap lg 1080p monitor), no specific use, most time for gaming and some school work, for most games I can keep the resolution to 1080p. The only one I can find is Dell P2415Q, wondering if there’s other options or this monitor is good. No specific budget as long as the monitor is good value for its quality.

Thank you.

It is a great monitor. At the time I was very interested in it. We need more 23/24inch displays with high-DPI like 4K on the PC space. Scaling probably is getting better with Microsoft efforts at every new release of Windows 10 so far, and more and more software being updated to be high-DPI aware, and support display scaling.

They are still many software that aren't, like Steam (but my opinion is that Valve doesn't care due to lack of competition, so why spend a dime updating the app that never truly got an update in ages), but Firefox, Chrome, (and of course Microsoft softwares), Paint.net, Photoshop, Filezilla, CCleaner, many newer driver control panels, Spotify, everything UWP, and more, are all Display Scaling friendly.

The issue might be games, where they might consider the more popular 27inch 4K monitor, but not the 24inch 4K Dell monitor which is pretty much the only one on the market due to people refusing to do any display scaling. But with the growing popularity of ultrabooks and laptops with high resolution displays for a small screen. But I don't know for sure I'll let your experience speak, I don't have such a display.. my high resolution display for the size is my Surface Pro 3, which isn't gaming capable obviously. but I LOVE this display. text is so easy to read on it, but my desktop display has better colors reproductions.... I wish I can merge both)

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is a great monitor. At the time I was very interested in it. We need more 23/24inch displays with high-DPI like 4K on the PC space. Scaling probably is getting better with Microsoft efforts at every new release of Windows 10 so far, and more and more software being updated to be high-DPI aware, and support display scaling.

They are still many software that aren't, like Steam (but my opinion is that Valve doesn't care due to lack of competition, so why spend a dime updating the app that never truly got an update in ages), but Firefox, Chrome, (and of course Microsoft softwares), Paint.net, Photoshop, Filezilla, CCleaner, many newer driver control panels, Spotify, everything UWP, and more, are all Display Scaling friendly.

The issue might be games, where they might consider the more popular 27inch 4K monitor, but not the 24inch 4K Dell monitor which is pretty much the only one on the market due to people refusing to do any display scaling. But with the growing popularity of ultrabooks and laptops with high resolution displays for a small screen. But I don't know for sure I'll let your experience speak, I don't have such a display.. my high resolution display for the size is my Surface Pro 3, which isn't gaming capable obviously. but I LOVE this display. text is so easy to read on it, but my desktop display has better colors reproductions.... I wish I can merge both)

Thanks for your feedback guess I will get a 24 inch one and try to get the best performance possible for gaming, don’t think it will be that hard to find the right settings for gaming using GeForce experience, anyway thank you for your great opinions :)