Looking for a laptop

So I want a laptop that can do school and light gaming. I know there are many that are good at this but I also am looking for a laptop that you can draw on. So I want to know if there are many laptops with this ability. I know of the Surface Book but that’s too expensive for me. 

Theoretically, this is @ZM Fong's role, but since he doesn't seem to be here, I'll ask you: what is your budget? What size of screen do you want? I assume you need something rather thin, light and sturdy, with good battery life.

If you're looking for 15" options, the Yoga 720 15" is a good one, as well as the upcoming 730, possibly (same GPU, low-power 8th gen CPU, but way smaller battery, wait for the reviews). The XPS 15 2-in-1 is probably better in some regards, but it's more expensive. The HP Spectre x360 15" is also a pretty good (though expensive) device, provided you only plan on doing some very light gaming (25W mx150). If you're looking for something smaller, be aware that 13 and 14" convertibles with anything else than integrated graphics or a poorly-cooled / low-power mx150 are quite uncommon. In fact, I only know of the 13" Surface Book.

2 hours ago, InertiaSelling said:

what is your budget? What size of screen do you want?

^^this, OP pls answer first

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

^^this, OP pls answer first

I would like a 15" and under or near $1000

1. Lenovo Yoga 720 15, I suggest the 7700HQ model even though it's slightly higher than your budget. Good IPS panel.

2. HP Envy x360 (8250U+MX150 or Ryzen 2500U+Vega), entry level IPS

3. Lenovo Flex 5 15 (Yoga 520), no dGPU option in US, good IPS panel

Make sure you get 8250U CPU, at least 8GB RAM and SSD. All options above with touchscreen enabled but no pen included (extra charges)

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

59 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

1. Lenovo Yoga 720 15, I suggest the 7700HQ model even though it's slightly higher than your budget. Good IPS panel.

2. HP Envy x360 (8250U+MX150 or Ryzen 2500U+Vega), entry level IPS

3. Lenovo Flex 5 15 (Yoga 520), no dGPU option in US, good IPS panel

Make sure you get 8250U CPU, at least 8GB RAM and SSD. All options above with touchscreen enabled but no pen included (extra charges)

What about the Lenovo Yoga 730? I am liking the 720 though. 

1 hour ago, mattdmg said:

What about the Lenovo Yoga 730? I am liking the 720 though. 

Not much different with Yoga 720 15. Use KBL-R CPU, performance wise the KBL-R CPU should be able to perform like 7700HQ with a few tweaks (undervolting, increasing PL1 limit) assuming that there's no change to the cooling design. Slightly slimmer and slightly lighter. Smaller battery capacity should not be a concern since it uses LP CPU, battery life should be about the same (need to wait for reviews to confirm). Also with HDMI port, one of Yoga 720 15 weaknesses.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Not much different with Yoga 720 15. Use KBL-R CPU, performance wise the KBL-R CPU should be able to perform like 7700HQ with a few tweaks (undervolting, increasing PL1 limit) assuming that there's no change to the cooling design. Slightly slimmer and slightly lighter. Smaller battery capacity should not be a concern since it uses LP CPU, battery life should be about the same (need to wait for reviews to confirm). Also with HDMI port, one of Yoga 720 15 weaknesses.

Hey I was also wondering if right now is a good time to buy a laptop or not. Because I was wondering if some new technology like the 11 series from nvidia is coming soon or like the one Intel mini pc that has the gpu and cpu on the same chip that will make its way into newer laptops

4 hours ago, mattdmg said:

if right now is a good time to buy a laptop or not

Umm no. Wait for more CFL-H options. If you're patient wait for new Nvidia GPUs too.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler