Keyboard connected to sd slot?

ItzRuben

Hello, I've got a question that may sound ridiculous... Can I connect a keyboard on a sd-card slot? I want to make a little pc out of an gps and windows ce works fine, but i don't have a keyboard. The only data port on the gps is the sd card slot so is there a solution for this?

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

No, that isn't possible. 

Haha ok than

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, ItzRuben said:

Haha ok than

Theoretically it is possible. But you'd have to use like an microsd to sd adapter and solder keyboard wires to the adaptor bit. It's not recommended and may not work but it probably will.

2 hours ago, riobear1 said:

Theoretically it is possible. But you'd have to use like an microsd to sd adapter and solder keyboard wires to the adaptor bit. It's not recommended and may not work but it probably will.

Why would it work ? An SD card and keyboard interface (either USB or PS2) are totally incompatible on both the physical and software level. You might aswell claim plugging a dirty sock in your iphone will charge it.

52 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Why would it work ? An SD card and keyboard interface (either USB or PS2) are totally incompatible on both the physical and software level. You might aswell claim plugging a dirty sock in your iphone will charge it.

I meant as in an adapter rather than an sd card. like microsd to sd adapter would possibly work if you looked at the correct pins etc. SDcard readers use the same usb pins on motherboards unless they are pci, this theoretically would make it possible.

19 minutes ago, riobear1 said:

SDcard readers use the same usb pins on motherboards unless they are pci, this theoretically would make it possible.

There's a chip inside a SD card reader that converts between the SD-card interface and USB, such a chip knows nothing about keyboards, only how to read/write SD cards and send the data to read/write to/from a PC over USB.

You can't just solder a USB keyboard to a SD Card interface.

You can't use a SD card reader chip to convert from SD Card interface to USB for anything else then reading/writing SD cards.

What you could do is to use the sd card as a sort of buffer. You could use an Arduino or similar to read out the key strokes and write them into a textfile on that SD Card. On you main system you could write a program that runs in the background, waits for modifications of that text file, parses them and reacts on the content. 

Or you could just buy a Raspberry Pi … which would be ready to go in like an hour including some DIY touch display controler stuff and you could just plug in your keyboard.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

There is a standard called SDIO which is mainly used by SD card sized WiFi adapters, but you might find something that you can work with like: http://www.hwtools.net/extenderboard/EXM2E.html

Please ignore my typos... I type too fast. Or Swype too fast on my tablet. One of those.