Apple’s Stumbling HomePod Isn’t the Hot Seller It Wanted

ItsMitch

Source: Bloomberg TicToc (Link is in the Tweet) 

Apple may of had a great year for phones, Home pods however is a different story. It failed to beat Google's Home and it got crushed by Amazon's Echo

When Apple Inc.’s HomePod smart speaker went on sale in January, it entered a market pioneered and dominated by Amazon’s Echo lineup of Alexa-powered devices. Apple has been touting the HomePod’s superior sound quality but so far hasn’t enticed many consumers to part with $349.

By late March, Apple had lowered sales forecasts and cut some orders with Inventec Corp., one of the manufacturers that builds the HomePod for Apple, according to a person familiar with the matter.

At first, it looked like the HomePod might be a hit. Pre-orders were strong, and in the last week of January the device grabbed about a third of the U.S. smart speaker market in unit sales, according to data provided to Bloomberg by Slice Intelligence. But by the time HomePods arrived in stores, sales were tanking, says Slice principal analyst Ken Cassar. “Even when people had the ability to hear these things,” he says, “it still didn’t give Apple another spike.”

Bloomberg also released a chart showing how dominant Amazon really is in the Smart Speaker market during the first 2 months of sales.

image.png.b7e0aed459aea3e6f448b327ae721ed1.png 

Consumers also complained over the lack of pairing the HomePods but Apple has said the feature will be coming out at a later date.

When the HomePod finally shipped, consumers found they couldn’t pair two speakers and create stereo sound or play music in multiple rooms. Apple has said these functions will be available this year, and the latest iPhone software update in beta with app developers suggests they are in advanced testing. Some HomePod buyers also complained that the device leaves marks on wood, a situation Apple is now working to rectify with a new material, according to people familiar with the work

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Jeez, I wonder why an expensive, furniture scorching speaker with half the functionality competitors offer isn't doing so well.

That sums it up really well

Just now, IgorM said:

That sums it up really well

The problem is that if Apple try to fix the price it still will be too high to compete properly with Amazon and Google.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Wasn't that story already on a WAN show?

I'm legit shocked that Amazon Echo is that high. I figured Google would have had the market share.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The problem is that if Apple try to fix the price it still will be too high to compete properly with Amazon and Google.

Despite of being superior in sound quality, advertising it as a speaker with voice assistance makes it comparable with an echo dot

$349... Yet Amazon had the Echo devices on a 20% discount for the last month or more. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm legit shocked that Amazon Echo is that high. I figured Google would have had the market share.

Maybe it is only US smartspeaker sales, because correct me if im wrong, but you cant properly use the ALexa outside America(US and canada) so the Google has much higher market share in Europe.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's probably because amazon has a wider brand reach, if only because when you open amazon.com you get an ad for their stuff.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Maybe it is only US smartspeaker sales, because correct me if im wrong, but you cant properly use the ALexa outside America(US and canada) so the Google has much higher market share in Europe.

You are correct. Alexa is not working that well here in Europe. Atleast not in Sweden. 

I think the thing people miss is that HomePod was designed to be a speaker first and a smart assistant later. Apple even went out of there way at the announcement to say that Siri on HomePod was not the same Siri that is in something like and iPhone. 

Still, 10% of the market with that price tag is not bad. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Who would have thought that if you get to market a year after everyone else and people have already bought a similar product that works you won't sell a whole lot of them. Especially when they're 4x the price of their competitors.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think the thing people miss is that HomePod was designed to be a speaker first and a smart assistant later. Apple even went out of there way at the announcement to say that Siri on HomePod was not the same Siri that is in something like and iPhone. 

Still, 10% of the market with that price tag is not bad. 

The problem is that, as a speaker, it still lacks plenty of functionality - aside from the fact it ruins your wooden furniture, but that's not a problem for everyone.

And given the price, WHY is it not also a good smart assistant...? I don't care about "assistant" functionality, but if they're going to put it in (and price it accordingly) why half-ass it?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

And given the price, WHY is it not also a good smart assistant...? I don't care about "assistant" functionality, but if they're going to put it in (and price it accordingly) why half-ass it?

Because it's a speaker first. And lets not kid ourselves, "smart speakers" are gimmicks. All you really need are what Apple has put into HomePod. Music controls, basic commands, Phone commands and HomeKit integration. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And lets not kid ourselves, "smart speakers" are gimmicks. All you really need are what Apple has put into HomePod. Music controls, basic commands, Phone commands and HomeKit integration. 

Ok then make it cheaper, it honestly can't compete with lesser functionality and at a higher price the only reason apple can get away with that on say a laptop would be due to the OS being the desirable aspect for their customers, this might as well not exist.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because it's a speaker first. And lets not kid ourselves, "smart speakers" are gimmicks. 

In the kitchen and a terrible song comes on? "Siri/Alexa, skip song". I wouldn't want to wash my hands or stop what I'm doing when cooking, it's just inconvenient for certain rooms.

It even fails as a better speaker if you're switching between apps. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16976906/apple-homepod-review-smart-speaker

You can’t ask Siri to play something on an Apple TV, as both Google and Amazon’s assistants can do with their respective TV devices. It’s also very inconvenient to use the HomePod as a TV speaker: you can set an Apple TV to AirPlay to it, but it drops that connection when you play music again, and you have go back into the Apple TV’s settings to select the HomePod again every time. There’s no way to get other TV sources like a PlayStation or your cable box to play out of the HomePod at all.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because it's a speaker first. And lets not kid ourselves, "smart speakers" are gimmicks. All you really need are what Apple has put into HomePod. Music controls, basic commands, Phone commands and HomeKit integration. 

Well, to bluntly quote Quinn Nelson

Even though Apple claims it's a speaker first and a smart assistant second, people are still going to compare this to an Echo or GHome. It doesn't really matter if it sounds great for its size because the target market wants to see how the "smart" portion of smart speakers work.

As a speaker, it's good. Perhaps limited in terms of what it plays nice with (actually, VERY limited) but it does sound good for its size. But as a SMART speaker, it's just not up to snuff.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Have I been living under a rock what is all this home voice thing?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I agre that smart speakers are gimmicks, but if they're going for a minimal product why does it cost so much? It's not about the bare minimum that you need to listen to music, it's about what you're paying for vs what you're getting.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

but if they're going for a minimal product why does it cost so much?

Like I said, its a better speaker than any of the ones on the market, and its Apple. 

Apple is not really in the game of going with cheap pricing models. 

They are meant to compete with sonos, not with Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Only the Google Home Max could really be considered a homepod competitor.

Was going to get one because of HomeKit but can't seem to find them anywhere (Apart from the Apple website). Maybe when I go to Australia they will have them there.