Evga g2 750W vs Evga g3 750W

NoNameGuy

Hello guys. I want to buy a power supply and I narrowed down my choice to either Evga g2 750W or Evga g3 750W. The difference is about 10 dollars, which would you buy? Which one has better build quality if I may use the power supply for over a decade? Thanks.

Neither, really. EVGA PSUs (except for the T2) aren't very quiet. For a single GPU system, get a quieter 450-550W one. 

What country do you live in, and what's your budget?

:)

I prefer the G3. The G2's glaring problem is the shouty fan. It doesnt speed up because the PSU itself is efficient, but it is loud when it does (though G3's isnt exactly quiet)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Well, the G3 is better but both G2 and G3 are excellent and the G3 is a tad shorter than the G2.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Neither, really. EVGA PSUs (except for the T2) aren't very quiet. For a single GPU system, get a quieter 450-550W one. 

What country do you live in, and what's your budget?

I live in the Uk, my budget is about 90-110 pounds, I kind of need the 750W.

not sure why everyone's complaining about the noise. there is switch behind my G2 that toggles ECO mode, pretty much quiets the fan to dead silence. unless you run it at near full load, then it might be loud. i never actually reach that

31 minutes ago, NoNameGuy said:

I live in the Uk, my budget is about 90-110 pounds, I kind of need the 750W.

What are you powering? If it's SLI 1080 Ti and a 7820X, all overclocked, i can see it being useful. Is that what you are powering?

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What are you powering? If it's SLI 1080 Ti and a 7820X, all overclocked, i can see it being useful. Is that what you are powering?

A gtx 1080 with ryzen 7 1700. I want to overclock the system and run the whole system at nice energy efficiency. Better to pay extra 15 pounds fora higher wattage supply than to pay 50 in electricity over the years and have less headroom.

1 minute ago, NoNameGuy said:

A gtx 1080 with ryzen 7 1700. I want to overclock the system and run the whole system at nice energy efficiency. Better to pay extra 15 pounds fora higher wattage supply than to pay 50 in electricity over the years and have less headroom.

That'll draw well under 300W. How much will you run the PC for on average, and what the average electricity cost? 

If you want a more efficient PSU, then get a more efficient PSU. Not a silly high wattage PSU. 

Here's the maths. At a 50% load at 230V, the 80 plus requirement for Gold is 92% and 94% for Platinum. Because the 750W PSUs will be loaded at ~35% of their max output, the efficiency will be lower than the lower wattage ones. 

At an electricity cost of 14,37p per kWh, and assuming a full load for 5 hours per day, every single day for 10 years, the cost difference will be £18,21. The cost difference between the RM550x (10 year warranty) and the 550PX (10 year warranty) is £7. Pay £7 more now, and save up to £18 over the next 10 years. It does not make sense. 

That's not how this works. First of all the unit is kWh. Equivalent to 3,6MJ. I found 14,37p per kWh, that's what I used for my calculations. 

What you found is the total electricity cost, not whether or not the premium will be worth it. For that, I did this.

((300W/0,92)-(300W/0,94))*5h*365,25*10*1,437*10^-4£/Wh

Edited by seon123
Something something

Alright, I'll see what I'll buy. Thanks for your help!

Just now, seon123 said:

That's not how this works. First of all the unit is kWh. Equivalent to 3,6MJ. I found 14,37p per kWh, that's what I used for my calculations. 

What you found is the total electricity cost, not whether or not the premium will be worth it. For that, I did this.

((300W/0,92)-(300W/0,94))*5h*365,25*10*1,437*10^-4£/kWh

1 hour ago, NoNameGuy said:

You definitely don't need 750W for that. The EVGA G2 is likely less efficient at 40% load (about what you're stressing it with) than it would be at 70% load (with a 550W unit). Different PSUs work differently and buying a PSU based on the potential efficiency it would have with your given hardware for the very brief periods of time you'll even be loading it to 50% of its capacity makes zero sense, because you're overspending on a PSU based on a tired old myth that PSUs are most efficient around 50%.

A 550W G2 or G3 would be fine. You could swap in a 10-core chip (that I'd assume will come to AM4) or 1080 Ti and still be fine. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, NoNameGuy said:

I live in the Uk, my budget is about 90-110 pounds

Either get more money for a good 750W or save on Wattage and get a better, quieter PSU like be quiet Straight Power 11, 550W 

, I kind of need the 750W.

You believe you do for what exactly?!

I ran _TWO_ Raden HD7970GHz/280X on a Ryzen 7/1700x System without Overclock on a 550W PSU!

And that was barely at the maximum output of the PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, NoNameGuy said:

No, just no

If you want better efficiency, get a higher Efficiency PSU.

With what you say so far, you should listen to what People have to say. Especially with the higher Input voltage in the UK (240VAC), the efficiency will be a bit better than in the Rest of Europe with something like 220VAC.

And with that, the difference between max. efficiency and Efficiency at 100% load is at most something like 2%.

But that doesn't matter anyway, because we are talking about a system that consumes about 400W or less.

And the worst part is you are talking about Overclocking and want to save on the Electrical Bill? SRYSLY?! Are you kidding?!
With shitty OC of the CPU, you can increase the Power Consumption as much as 50-100%...

And that's the CPU alone, with the GPU its not any better...

So what do you want:
An efficient system?

OR

An overclocked System?

Both are hardly possible. You can optimize the voltages a bit and reduce the Power Consumption, yes. But that's not Overclocking...

And whatever you might save on the PSU, you waste on OC anyway, so talking about "Maximum Efficiency" and OC in one sentence doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You definitely don't need 750W for that. The EVGA G2 is likely less efficient at 40% load (about what you're stressing it with) than it would be at 70% load (with a 550W unit). Different PSUs work differently and buying a PSU based on the potential efficiency it would have with your given hardware for the very brief periods of time you'll even be loading it to 50% of its capacity makes zero sense, because you're overspending on a PSU based on a tired old myth that PSUs are most efficient around 50%.

Especially if you don't know the measured efficiency Curve of that unit.

That is different for each and every unit.

One can have their best efficiency at 30% and falls rapidly (for example Cooler Master V-550), others have the peak at 50% and are within 1% between 30 and 70 or even 80% load.

The 80plus Measuring Points are pretty much useless because there are only 3 (4 with more modern units), wich don't help much.

You need more points than that for any conclusion...

And also the Efficiency "Curves" are sometimes really different between 115VAC wich 80plus uses and the higher Voltages in Europe. Especially the 240VAC in UK!!

Sadly, not every PSU is measured by intependent persons...

Alright, I'll see what I'll buy. Thanks for your help!

Nicely under budget. Great unit with 10 year warranty. You could go for a 550W unit but you will only save about £5 - £10 or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015PWMT8S/?tag=pcp0f-21

51 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Nicely under budget. Great unit with 10 year warranty. You could go for a 550W unit but you will only save about £5 - £10 or so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015PWMT8S/?tag=pcp0f-21

Or you could go for a 750W its only 5-10€ more...

Oh wait, 850W is only 5-10€ more than 750W

Oh wait, 1000W isn't that much more either...

Sorry, but no, does not make sense as it does not benefit anyone except the manufacturer who got a bit more money. But for him, the 650W does NOT offer any benefit at all if the Wattage isn't needed.

As for the 10 Years Warranty:

You remember Topower, TSP, Tagan, PC Power and Cooling, Silver Power, Rasurbo??

The Xilence you know right now isn't the Xilence it once was - there was a bancrupcy and a buyout...

Or Abit, DFI, BFG, ELSA; Diamond Multimedia, STB.

What I'm saying is that you can not know if one company will be around in 10 Years, even "1st Brand" ones such as Enermax who are still around but don't manufacture anything anymore...

So buying a PSU because it has 10 Years Warranty doesn't make the most of sense.

Buy it because it is a good unit right here, right now!
How it is in 5-10 Years, nobody knows.

And do you really believe that the ATX SPecification will get to 30 years???

35 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Or you could go for a 750W its only 5-10€ more...

Oh wait, 850W is only 5-10€ more than 750W

Oh wait, 1000W isn't that much more either...

Sorry, but no, does not make sense as it does not benefit anyone except the manufacturer who got a bit more money. But for him, the 650W does NOT offer any benefit at all if the Wattage isn't needed.

As for the 10 Years Warranty:

You remember Topower, TSP, Tagan, PC Power and Cooling, Silver Power, Rasurbo??

The Xilence you know right now isn't the Xilence it once was - there was a bancrupcy and a buyout...

Or Abit, DFI, BFG, ELSA; Diamond Multimedia, STB.

What I'm saying is that you can not know if one company will be around in 10 Years, even "1st Brand" ones such as Enermax who are still around but don't manufacture anything anymore...

So buying a PSU because it has 10 Years Warranty doesn't make the most of sense.

Buy it because it is a good unit right here, right now!
How it is in 5-10 Years, nobody knows.

And do you really believe that the ATX SPecification will get to 30 years???

The Corsair RMx is a quality unit. I am sure you agree on that ? As for the wattage then sure a 550W would be fine for an R7 1700 and GTX 1080. For the sake of £5 which is the difference in price between the RMx 550W and RMx 650W on Amazon it is a no brainer. Rather have a bit of headroom than not enough. Of course there are other options, but I am just comparing a like for like model. 

Also not sure why you wouldn't want a psu with a long warranty ? It doesn't mean you have to use the psu for the lifetime of it's warranty, but it is piece of mind if anything goes wrong you are covered. 

Not really sure your reply was necessary to be honest.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

The Corsair RMx is a quality unit. I am sure you agree on that ?

Wich PSU in that Price Range isn't???
There are just soo many alternatives that are equally good - and some even use the same Pinout but don't have the shitty PCIe Y-Cables that might be a Problem for High Power GPUs...

As for the wattage then sure a 550W would be fine for an R7 1700 and GTX 1080. For the sake of £5 which is the difference in price between the RMx 550W and RMx 650W on Amazon it is a no brainer.

No, its not.

First:
There are other Shops than Amazon you could order from.

Second there are other PSU as well.

For Example:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cougar-gx-f-550w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-02s-cu.html

69,95 Pounds, 550W

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-whisper-m-series-450w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-229-bx.html

74,99 for 450

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-whisper-m-series-550w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-22a-bx.html

82,99 for the 550W

So there are alternatives that are as good and cheaper.

And the Bitfenix Whisper uses the same Plattform as the New RMx V2.

Rather have a bit of headroom than not enough.

Do you know how much your PC consumes?
Do you know how freakin hard it is to come even close to 550W load with Components??

I used _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz(!)/280X in my Ryzen 7/1700X system to get that far. The usual Prime + Heaven Stuff.

For what do you want/need more Headrum when even the 550W is loaded to like 50-60% with his components??
What good does the +100W do?

WHERE is the Benefit for him??

There isn't any. THAT is the Problem.

It just looks good on paper, without any benefit at all.

Also not sure why you wouldn't want a psu with a long warranty ? It doesn't mean you have to use the psu for the lifetime of it's warranty, but it is piece of mind if anything goes wrong you are covered. 

Because you don't know if you can use the Warranty in 5, 7 or 10 Years!

What good does 10 Years Warranty do, when the Company doesn't do PSU Stuff no more?

10 Years are a darn long time.

10 Years ago, Enermax manufactured their own stuff and were one of the best. A Year or two eariler, they were like the only reasonable Choice for DIY Consumers, there was no noteworthy competition or they were shit (like all that Topower Crap).

And just take a look at how many Companys either don't do much PC Stuff no more or are defunct!

Do you know any GERMAN Company these days??

I Remember Spea, Elsa, Terratec, Miro and some others.

Do you Remember Epox, DFI, ABit, BFG, Soyo, Soltek, Chaintech, Leadtek??

Or Twinmos, Winbond Memory, Connor, Maxtor, Matrox, S3, Cirrus Logic, ESS, Orchid, Diamond Multimedia, Gravis, Atari, Virgin (Software)...

That are just some names that were once pretty well known, some of those even _THE_ Brand for some people (like DFI for the overclocking community).

Not really sure your reply was necessary to be honest.

Because 650W is the most useless Wattage
Because Warranty isn't as important as you make it sound as you CAN NOT know if the company will be around in 5, 7 or 10 Years.

And there already were some rather big casualties - SEGA was also once a Company that did their own consoles and competed with Nintendo in the 80s and early 90s...

So the Warranty can not and must not be used as an argument for or against a PSU, its just there and you hope to never ever use it. 

The more important thing is how to use the Warranty, where to send your stuff, how quick are they. Is there an additional Service like Express Replacement thing int he First Year or so (when you need the Warranty the Most!) or do you have to send the stuff to Hong Kong? Or maybe the Netherlands...

noise in high end psus should not be an issue. This includes stuff like EVGA's G2/G3, Corsair's TX/RMx and better just as some examples.

also i'd probably dump more money imo since this power supply is the heart of your system. ymmv, but i wouldn't "skimp" and get the best especially at that rating.

----

i'm using a RM750x with a 7700k overclocked to 5GHz @ 1.3V and a Strix OC 1080Ti. Probably "overkill" for my needs i could have saved a bit on the 650x but eh, too late now. opened and using it so I'm not going to regret but move fforwards.

given you're rocking a more efficient cpu and a step lower than me in the graphics card you could opt for 650w to be safer imo.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

4 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

noise in high end psus should not be an issue. This includes stuff like EVGA's G2/G3, Corsair's TX/RMx and better just as some examples.

It shouldn't but it is:

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/corsair_tx550m/s08.php

~850rpm at low loads, 1500rpm at 100% Load.

And then there are the Hong Hua fans wich can be really annoying and are really not silent because of the loud tickering...

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Wich PSU in that Price Range isn't???
There are just soo many alternatives that are equally good - and some even use the same Pinout but don't have the shitty PCIe Y-Cables that might be a Problem for High Power GPUs...

No, its not.

First:
There are other Shops than Amazon you could order from.

Second there are other PSU as well.

For Example:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cougar-gx-f-550w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-02s-cu.html

69,95 Pounds, 550W

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-whisper-m-series-450w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-229-bx.html

74,99 for 450

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-whisper-m-series-550w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-22a-bx.html

82,99 for the 550W

So there are alternatives that are as good and cheaper.

And the Bitfenix Whisper uses the same Plattform as the New RMx V2.

Do you know how much your PC consumes?
Do you know how freakin hard it is to come even close to 550W load with Components??

I used _TWO_ Radeon HD7970GHz(!)/280X in my Ryzen 7/1700X system to get that far. The usual Prime + Heaven Stuff.

For what do you want/need more Headrum when even the 550W is loaded to like 50-60% with his components??
What good does the +100W do?

WHERE is the Benefit for him??

There isn't any. THAT is the Problem.

It just looks good on paper, without any benefit at all.

Because you don't know if you can use the Warranty in 5, 7 or 10 Years!

What good does 10 Years Warranty do, when the Company doesn't do PSU Stuff no more?

10 Years are a darn long time.

10 Years ago, Enermax manufactured their own stuff and were one of the best. A Year or two eariler, they were like the only reasonable Choice for DIY Consumers, there was no noteworthy competition or they were shit (like all that Topower Crap).

And just take a look at how many Companys either don't do much PC Stuff no more or are defunct!

Do you know any GERMAN Company these days??

I Remember Spea, Elsa, Terratec, Miro and some others.

Do you Remember Epox, DFI, ABit, BFG, Soyo, Soltek, Chaintech, Leadtek??

Or Twinmos, Winbond Memory, Connor, Maxtor, Matrox, S3, Cirrus Logic, ESS, Orchid, Diamond Multimedia, Gravis, Atari, Virgin (Software)...

That are just some names that were once pretty well known, some of those even _THE_ Brand for some people (like DFI for the overclocking community).

Because 650W is the most useless Wattage
Because Warranty isn't as important as you make it sound as you CAN NOT know if the company will be around in 5, 7 or 10 Years.

And there already were some rather big casualties - SEGA was also once a Company that did their own consoles and competed with Nintendo in the 80s and early 90s...

So the Warranty can not and must not be used as an argument for or against a PSU, its just there and you hope to never ever use it. 

The more important thing is how to use the Warranty, where to send your stuff, how quick are they. Is there an additional Service like Express Replacement thing int he First Year or so (when you need the Warranty the Most!) or do you have to send the stuff to Hong Kong? Or maybe the Netherlands...

Of course other units in the same price range are good quality. That wasn't my point.

Also you realise that OCUK charge for delivery right ? You can get free shipping if you qualify for it (Needs 250 forum posts and 90 days  membership or 100 forum posts and 12 months membership), but otherwise you are looking at £10.50 delivery. So that Cougar unit suddenly becomes £80.45, Bitfenix Whisper 450W becomes £85.49 and the 550W would be £93.49. You might be able to get them elsewhere with free delivery but I am only going off pcpartpicker. Also how many good quality 450W fully modular units are there ? I can see three listed on pcpartpicker. Not exactly spoiled for choice.

As for Warranty I don't see Corsair going anywhere soon. They also have UK based warranty support unlike a lot of other manufacturers. Who wants to be posting a heavy psu across Europe/Asia ? As for the 10 year warranty well that is just an added bonus/piece of mind. It doesn't mean you have to use the unit for that length of time. If the op ever decides to change to a different unit then the RMx could still be used on something like a HTPC. I guess the likes of Seasonic, Corsair and EVGA etc should be demonized for giving such long warranties huh  ? 9_9