[HELP]Recommended Air cooler for i7-8700 (non K)

Legacy0507

Any of you recommend mr an air cooler for this processor? Or liquid aio? It runs at 95 degrees under full load on stock intel cooler when I'm rendering and idles around 45-40 on an open air case with a big electric fan as an intake.

Something like a Hyper 212 is enough. If you want to supress the temperature even further, you could undervolt it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I live in a reasonably hot area (its 42c right now here) and i have the exact same CPU and i was hitting 100c with intel stock cooler when playing games.  

So i have installed a cooler master Hyper 212 X and the temps have dropped by around 20 degrees. 

You can see them here. Before Cooler master Hyper 212x It was hovering around 95 ~ 100 after cooler master 212x its at 54 ~ 62 max.

I Do reach 80c in very intense games like Planetside 2 during full scale 96+ vs 96+ battles. But that's about it. 

i have no experience regarding AIO's and maybe they will cool you for a bit more but personally i though it aient worth it. Am good with 80c cause its as good as it gets for me cause of where i live its just too hot.  

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

1 hour ago, Legacy0507 said:

Any of you recommend mr an air cooler for this processor? Or liquid aio? It runs at 95 degrees under full load on stock intel cooler when I'm rendering and idles around 45-40 on an open air case with a big electric fan as an intake.

Spoiler

You were supposed to buy ryzen...RIP

Any of the 4 heatpipe 120mm $25 coolers will be fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Something like a Hyper 212 is enough. If you want to supress the temperature even further, you could undervolt it.

Thank you! I have my eyes on that cooler too. What can you say about cryorig H7?

4 hours ago, Blacklotus84 said:

I have had great thermals with this cooler. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835670001&cm_re=cpu_cooler-_-35-670-001-_-Product 

It's a different type of air cooler. typically my overclocked amd a10 7700k at 3.8 ghz didn't see over 60C very often. It's worth a look...

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You were supposed to buy ryzen...RIP

Any of the 4 heatpipe 120mm $25 coolers will be fine

Thank you! I got my eyes on Cryorig H7 and Hyper 212 Evo, Which one would be better? 

4 hours ago, DeadlyTitan said:

I live in a reasonably hot area (its 42c right now here) and i have the exact same CPU and i was hitting 100c with intel stock cooler when playing games.  

So i have installed a cooler master Hyper 212 X and the temps have dropped by around 20 degrees. 

You can see them here. Before Cooler master Hyper 212x It was hovering around 95 ~ 100 after cooler master 212x its at 54 ~ 62 max.

I Do reach 80c in very intense games like Planetside 2 during full scale 96+ vs 96+ battles. But that's about it. 

i have no experience regarding AIO's and maybe they will cool you for a bit more but personally i though it aient worth it. Am good with 80c cause its as good as it gets for me cause of where i live its just too hot.  

Wow that was amazing results, do you have AC or something? I live in the Philippines and my ambient room temperature is 30-37 degrees I have no AC. How many fans do you have in your case? (Intake/exhaust)

24 minutes ago, Legacy0507 said:

What can you say about cryorig H7?

Also a good cooler for the price point. It beats the Hyper 212 by quite a bit and also costs more.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 hours ago, Legacy0507 said:

Thank you! I have my eyes on that cooler too. What can you say about cryorig H7?

Thank you!

Thank you! I got my eyes on Cryorig H7 and Hyper 212 Evo, Which one would be better? 

Wow that was amazing results, do you have AC or something? I live in the Philippines and my ambient room temperature is 30-37 degrees I have no AC. How many fans do you have in your case? (Intake/exhaust)

I Do have an AC but i do not use it very often. My case have 3 120 mm fans, 2 Intake and 1 exhaust. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

13 hours ago, Legacy0507 said:

I live in the Philippines and my ambient room temperature is 30-37 degrees I have no AC.

The H7 is a bit better than the 212 Evo.

Air cooling will probably be quieter and cheaper than an AIO.

What motherboard, ram, and case do you have?

Are you using the default motherboard settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Also a good cooler for the price point. It beats the Hyper 212 by quite a bit and also costs more.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, DeadlyTitan said:

I Do have an AC but i do not use it very often. My case have 3 120 mm fans, 2 Intake and 1 exhaust. 

Whhat fans do you use? Is it the stock ones woth your case or is it an aftermarket fans?

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The H7 is a bit better than the 212 Evo.

Air cooling will probably be quieter and cheaper than an AIO.

What motherboard, ram, and case do you have?

Are you using the default motherboard settings?

I'm using Gigabyte Z370 HD3 and I am indeed using default mobo settings with intel stock cooler.

47 minutes ago, Legacy0507 said:

Thank you!

Whhat fans do you use? Is it the stock ones woth your case or is it an aftermarket fans?

I'm using Gigabyte Z370 HD3 and I am indeed using default mobo settings with intel stock cooler.

They are dual LED corsair high air flow (or something like that) 120mm fans, came along with the case and they are pretty good. 

On 4/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, Legacy0507 said:

If you have room for it, a big twin-tower with 140mm fans is the highest performance option, some beating even 240 and 280mm AIO solutions. Some can be had for relatively decent prices too, starting around $50-$60USD.

EDIT: Open-Air Cases aren't really designed for air-cooling, they are designed for liquid-cooling. In a standard closed-chassis, the air is directed to where you want it, with the panels keeping the fresh air flowing inside, where as an open-air case will let all the fresh intake air escape, limiting the amount of fresh intake air that reaches your CPU cooler.

This can have negative effects on cooling performance, so you should either keep your external fan for intake air, or get a different case. If you want ro go extreme with air-cooling, see my build log in my signature, as I have one of the most extreme air-cooling builds on the LTT Forums.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

On 4/21/2018 at 11:53 PM, Legacy0507 said:

A Gammax 400 would keeps temps in check: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/deepcool-gammaxx-400-heatsink-fan-blue-i115102049-s119109297.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlistcategory.list.7.3f4e5d0boOmrJi&search=1

What case and ram are you using? You should check to see how much clearance you have for a cooler.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:12 AM, Legacy0507 said:

Also, dont forget that thermal paste better than Intel's crap "tooth paste" is definitely necessary to keep those temps under control. Get yourself some Arctic MX-4. Very cheap and yet performs very near much more expensive pastes.

Current Build Thread:

31 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Also, dont forget that thermal paste better than Intel's crap "tooth paste" is definitely necessary to keep those temps under control. Get yourself some Arctic MX-4. Very cheap and yet performs very near much more expensive pastes.

MX-4 doesn't perform much better than the TC-1996 used on older Intel stock coolers. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermal-compound-roundup-january-2012/5/

Intel has since moved to TC-5630 so I'm not sure how that compares to TC-1996 but I'd guess that it's as good if not a bit better.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:12 AM, Legacy0507 said:

I am getting the i7 8700k version and got the deepcool assassn ll for it. Hopefully it works well but I don't know yet because I have not put it together lol

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

MX-4 doesn't perform much better than the TC-1996 used on older Intel stock coolers. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermal-compound-roundup-january-2012/5/

Intel has since moved to TC-5630 so I'm not sure how that compares to TC-1996 but I'd guess that it's as good if not a bit better.

Um not sure why they would say that but there isn't much worse out there than Intel Thermal Paste. Linus has proven that about 100 times already, also Toms Hardware did a very in-depth analysis of Thermal Pastes in 2017, testing in a temperature-controlled environment and testing such things as low mounting pressure, high mounting pressure, how the pastes differ from liquid cooling to air cooling, and reviewed 85 different products. Take a look at the chart below. It is said that Intels stock paste performs similarly to the aftermarket thermal pad options located towards the bottom of the chart (Around 39.5-40.0C Delta by comparison) (2017 Round-Up):

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9Y

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Um not sure why they would say that but there isn't much worse out there than Intel Thermal Paste. Linus has proven that about 100 times already, also Toms Hardware did a very in-depth analysis of Thermal Pastes in 2017, testing in a temperature-controlled environment and testing such things as low mounting pressure, high mounting pressure, how the pastes differ from liquid cooling to air cooling, and reviewed 85 different products. Take a look at the chart below. It is said that Intels stock paste performs similarly to the aftermarket thermal pad options located towards the bottom of the chart (Around 39.5-40.0C Delta by comparison) (2017 Round-Up):

Which paste is supposed to be Intel's? I'm not seeing Intel or Dow Corning on the list. Inter-Tech is the closest thing to misread as Intel.

The bundled Be Quiet!, Corsair and Enermax thermal compounds the article refers to are likely TC-5121 which is much more representative of Dow Corning and Intel's pastes than going with an anecdotal 'similar to the thermal pads'.

I'd say it's a common misconception that Intel has bad TIM as opposed to knowledge and that they're more popular to hate on. The whole 'crap TIM under the IHS' debacle is probably the biggest reason even though the temps are mostly due to the gap caused by adhesive. As far as I know, Corsair is still using Dow Corning today which performs well and there aren't nearly as many people calling crap compared to Intel yet the pastes are similar if not identical.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which paste is supposed to be Intel's? I'm not seeing Intel or Dow Corning on the list. Inter-Tech is the closest thing to misread as Intel.

The bundled Be Quiet!, Corsair and Enermax thermal compounds the article refers to are likely TC-5121 which is much more representative of Dow Corning and Intel's pastes than going with an anecdotal 'similar to the thermal pads'.

I'd say it's a common misconception that Intel has bad TIM as opposed to knowledge and that they're more popular to hate on. The whole 'crap TIM under the IHS' debacle is probably the biggest reason even though the temps are mostly due to the gap caused by adhesive. As far as I know, Corsair is still using Dow Corning today which performs well and there aren't nearly as many people calling crap compared to Intel yet the pastes are similar if not identical.

So they didnt directly test Intel's Stock paste so a Reddit post that recited the table decided to set his room temperature to 22°C just like their tests, ran the same cooler in open-air bench fashion (literally just set his mobo on his mobo box lol) and ran the test 3 times. Said he got 39.8°C Delta, 40.1°C Delta and 39.6°C Delta, so this is why I said Intels stock paste is in the 39.5°C-40.0°C range when referencing that chart. Its just a guesstamate based on his findings combined with other Intel stock Paste comparisons, all of which narrow its performance down to something quite similar to the Thermal Adhesive Tapes, High-End aftermarket thermal pads, or Titan Nano Blue on that table.

If I remember correctly, that same crap TIM under the IHS on Intel CPUs is quite similar to the Thermal Paste they use stock on top of the IHS as well, and yes it certainly does contribute to Intels heat issues, but most people aren't willing to void their warranty in the deliding process, so most people just replace the stock Thermal Compound with something of higher performance and hope it will make enough of a difference. Luckily, just replacing the on-top paste can still yield noticeable differences, and is just enough to stop people from voiding their warranties.

OP certainly needs a new cooler as well, those temps he is seeing are simply way too hot. I just figure that while he is spending like $50USD on a new cooler, an extra $3-$5 on some better paste will certainly help to get the most out of his new cooler. I mean who do you EVER hear of using stock Intel Paste on an aftermarket cooler? I certainly havent seen it.

To be honest, I think its kind of dumb that that the "King of Silicon" has these issues. Just seems idiotic to me, and I am hoping that Intel will soon adopt the soldering method from AMD's Ryzen series soon. I mean lets be honest, its not like it would cost Intel any additional money, people stop voiding their warranties, and more people buy Intel CPUs and are confident with thermal performance. Everybody wins, there is simply no reason why Intel should be doing anything other than soldering, and they should have been a long time ago, as well.

Current Build Thread:

6 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

So they didnt directly test Intel's Stock paste so a Reddit post that recited the table decided to set his room temperature to 22°C just like their tests, ran the same cooler in open-air bench fashion (literally just set his mobo on his mobo box lol) and ran the test 3 times. Said he got 39.8°C Delta, 40.1°C Delta and 39.6°C Delta, so this is why I said Intels stock paste is in the 39.5°C-40.0°C range when referencing that chart. Its just a guesstamate based on his findings combined with other Intel stock Paste comparisons, all of which narrow its performance down to something quite similar to the Thermal Adhesive Tapes, High-End aftermarket thermal pads, or Titan Nano Blue on that table.

If I remember correctly, that same crap TIM under the IHS on Intel CPUs is quite similar to the Thermal Paste they use stock on top of the IHS as well, and yes it certainly does contribute to Intels heat issues, but most people aren't willing to void their warranty in the deliding process, so most people just replace the stock Thermal Compound with something of higher performance and hope it will make enough of a difference.

OP certainly needs a new cooler as well, those temps he is seeing are simply way too hot. I just figure that while he is spending like $50USD on a new cooler, an extra $3-$5 on some better paste will certainly help to get the most out of his new cooler. I mean who do you EVER hear of using stock Intel Paste on an aftermarket cooler? I certainly havent seen it.

To be honest, I think its kind of dumb that that the "King of Silicon" has these issues. Just seems idiotic to me, and I am hoping that Intel will soon adopt the soldering method from AMD's Ryzen series soon. I mean lets be honest, its not like it would cost Intel any additional money, people stop voiding their warranties, and more people buy Intel CPUs and are confident with thermal performance. Everybody wins, there is simply no reason why Intel should be doing anything other than soldering, and they should have been a long time ago, as well.

I didn't realize that 'crap TIM under the IHS' wasn't coming off as sarcastic. Intel's stock paste is good. I was explaining that the drop in temps when delidding is due to removal of the black adhesive and gap around the die and little to do with the TIM used. You can use some Dow Corning thermal paste or just about any run of the mill thermal paste and you'd get much lower temps after delidding for this reason. I haven't found confirmation on the exact paste used under the IHS but there are many pastes from Dow Corning that are hard to find info on--the TC-5630 I mentioned being one of them. That being said, the majority of these pastes will experience pump out and temps will worsen over time to the point where many return to pre-delid temps in a few weeks. Linked below, the medium.com article or one of its sources explains pretty well how Intel's TIM under the IHS does a great job of longevity without sacrificing much performance.

There are many people using TIM that's literally the same as Intel's stock thermal paste without knowing it. As mentioned, Be Quiet!, Enermax, and Corsair are among the several manufacturers that use their paste on their aftermarket coolers. If you look at reviews, they'll conclude that this paste is good and not worth replacing in most cases. The performance shown is much closer to the Dow Corning entries on the hardwaresecrets and tomshardware articles and are consistent with each other as opposed to the reddit post you're referring to. https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_hydro_series_h100i_review,11.html

Could you please link the reddit post you're referring to?

Soldering is less reliable and isn't a win for both Intel and the average consumer. Here's a concise article explaining this although there are sources at the bottom that delve deeper into why soldering doesn't make sense for non-enthusiasts. https://medium.com/@OpenSeason/soldered-cpu-vs-cheap-paste-59fb96a4fca7