U.S. Investigating AT&T and Verizon Over Wireless Collusion Claim

The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into potential coordination by AT&T, Verizon and a telecommunications standards organization to hinder consumers from easily switching wireless carriers, according to six people with knowledge of the inquiry.

Hmm, sounds like something I would not put past US telecomm companies from doing.

In February, the Justice Department issued demands to AT&T, Verizon and the G.S.M.A., a mobile industry standards-setting group, for information on potential collusion to thwart a technology known as eSIM, said two of the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the details are confidential.

The technology lets people remotely switch wireless providers without having to insert a new SIM card into a device. AT&T and Verizon face accusations that they colluded with the G.S.M.A. to try to establish standards that would allow them to lock a device to their network even if it had eSIM technology.

Well that's bull. I should be able to change my carrier as long as all the proper paper work is filled out, putting software locks is carriers being ? One could argue that these carriers were being anti-consumer.

I should be able to switch carriers whenever I want, and if I'm not mistaken, at least in California, you have to let users unlock their phones if they want to do that. 

I have Sprint and we have not had any major issues with them, but they are a smaller carrier than AT&T and Verizon, aka two of the "Fat Cats" of US Telecomm and I am not surprised. 

The investigation was opened about five months ago after at least one device maker and one wireless carrier filed formal complaints with the Justice Department, two of the people said. The device maker was Apple, one of them said.

Hmm, interesting to see that Apple was the one to make the claim when Apple is itself potentially in some heat for the recent iPhone 8 screen debacle. This could be related to Apples' eSIM which they have put into their Cellular iPads to give consumers more flexibility in their carrier selection since Data only devices are generally not locked into anything. 

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/technology/att-verizon-investigate-esim.html 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Good. So many accusations have been handed out regarding this sort of thing going on in the US. Glad to see something is actually being done.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Sounds like some tinfoil hat shenanigans. Dunno about AT&T, but the Verizon thing is a 30+ day cycle lock to prevent fraudulent activities. No one realistically just signs up for a carrier and then bails before the very first cycle completes. If you weren't satisfied within the first 14 days, you would have ceased service during the "worry free guarantee" period.

The only people this effects are those trying to cheat the system with a sale at Carrier A trying to move their device to Carrier B before they got their first bill. Things like that looks super suspicious. 

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Sounds like some tinfoil hat shenanigans. Dunno about AT&T, but the Verizon thing is a 30+ day cycle lock to prevent fraudulent activities. No one realistically just signs up for a carrier and then bails before the very first cycle completes. If you weren't satisfied within the first 14 days, you would have ceased service during the "worry free guarantee" period.

The only people this effects are those trying to cheat the system with a sale at Carrier A trying to move their device to Carrier B before they got their first bill. Things like that looks super suspicious. 

Well that is why there is an investigation now isn't there xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

"Competition"

America, f*ck yeah.

time to regulate.

13 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Or someone that uses multiple carriers because some have shitty service in different areas.

Just saying.

Like ting and project fi already smart swap between GSM and CDMA systems with and without eSIM.

The real reason for this is just for carrier lock in. Same with the old system of 2 year contracts.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

13 hours ago, Mooshi said:

AT&T lets you unlock your device but you only get 5 tries to use the code and then it's permanently locked to their network. Even if the code they give you doesn't work.

At least that was my experience with it.

48 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Or someone that uses multiple carriers because some have shitty service in different areas.

Then they're buying dual sim, which no carrier sells.

This only applies to carrier sold phones (which nearly all carriers now require a plan to buy from them) so realistically, no (smart) person is actually affected. I also agree that the carriers should be able to enforce the 30 day period.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Then they're buying dual sim, which no carrier sells.

This only applies to carrier sold phones (which nearly all carriers now require a plan to buy from them) so realistically, no (smart) person is actually affected. I also agree that the carriers should be able to enforce the 30 day period.

The whole point of eSim is that you don't and shouldn't need dual sim. In fact, the original design purpose for eSim was this exact usage.

I think you are completely missing the point. We aren't talking about preventing someone from canceling their service within x amount of days or whatever. I'm talking about using (and paying for) two services concurrently (well semi-concurrently because swapping networks is still a thing on most mutli-network implementations), which there is no good excuse for preventing.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

16 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The whole point of eSim is that you don't and shouldn't need dual sim. In fact, the original design purpose for eSim was this exact usage.

I think you are completely missing the point. We aren't talking about preventing someone from canceling their service within x amount of days or whatever. I'm talking about using (and paying for) two services concurrently (well semi-concurrently because swapping networks is still a thing on most mutli-network implementations), which there is no good excuse for preventing.

These carriers aren't preventing you from doing that with phobes actually capable of it and compatible with the network.

They don't sell those phones. You buy them unlocked from the OEM or resellers like Best Buy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It's alright everyone, after a couple of hefty campaign donations,  the US government will realise it is a perfectly legal activity that promotes competition. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's alright everyone, after a couple of hefty campaign donations,  the US government will realise it is a perfectly legal activity that promotes competition. 

there going to need to shell out a few million. I would think that 10 million from each would convince them that its all good. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

there going to need to shell out a few million. I would think that 10 million from each would convince them that its all good. 

Is that all? they can afford to have a few laws/regulations rewritten as well then. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Is that all? they can afford to have a few laws/regulations rewritten as well then. 

well they got a lot of money last year, I don't know that they need that much more to win.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

well they got a lot of money last year, I don't know that they need that much more to win.

Some times I think political donations over a certain value should prevent politicians from voting or talking about anything related to the source of that donation.  E.G if an oil company donates X amount, then that politician/party can't table laws or vote on laws that related to fossil fuels or alternative energy sources.

I know that's a is far reaching ideal with many complications, but it encapsulates how I feel about the system.

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Some times I think political donations over a certain value should prevent politicians from voting or talking about anything related to the source of that donation.  E.G if an oil company donates X amount, then that politician/party can't table laws or vote on laws that related to fossil fuels or alternative energy sources.

I know that's a is far reaching ideal with many complications, but it encapsulates how I feel about the system.

lets just stop more than a certain amount every year from any company or organization. 

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Some times I think political donations over a certain value should prevent politicians from voting or talking about anything related to the source of that donation. 

While that would definitely make a lot of sense, it would probably lead to more under-the-table deals, which would cause the same problems but then no one would have any way of knowing a bias exists.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

While that would definitely make a lot of sense, it would probably lead to more under-the-table deals, which would cause the same problems but then no one would have any way of knowing a bias exists.

don't ruin my dreams with realities.  :(

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

These carriers aren't preventing you from doing that with phobes actually capable of it and compatible with the network.

They don't sell those phones. You buy them unlocked from the OEM or resellers like Best Buy.

They are explicitly trying to lock down eSIM phones. Which is the whole point of this article. eSIM is either on or not on the phone, Samsung/LG/Apple/HTC aren't making phones with and without them. Just one variant. 

Even "dual sim" models are the EXACT SAME PHONE with a different shaped plastic cutout tray. Only limitations are that which the carriers force via bloatware.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

lets just stop more than a certain amount every year from any company or organization. 

But corporations are people and thus you can't limit free-speech like that.

God dammit Citizen's United 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Here in the UK the problem of varying service depending on network was solved with one very simple ruling, our version of the FCC mandated that instead of networks all installing their own independent masts they should all share the same masts.

In this way it means that if there is mobile signal for anybody there is signal for everybody.

It's a very eloquent solution that took a while to implement but works.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Finally 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400