Does your Netflix stream instantly start at 1080p or does it stagger to 1080p?

avg123

The moment I start a Netflix episode, it starts at 480p for a few seconds then goes to 720p for a few seconds and finally settles into 1080p. After that it stays at 1080p for the whole show, even if I skip to different parts. 

My speed is 20mbps, well beyond what is required for 1080p, so why does the stream start at 480p? Youtube always starts at 1080p.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Starts out at a lower resolution during the first few seconds then moves on to higher resolution. It allows time for it to buffer ahead while still maintaining an instant feel when you click the play button. Honestly it doesn't matter cause it's only while it's showing the Netflix or other studio logo. By the time the actual movie starts it's at 1080p.
I'm on 50mbps.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Depends on what I'm watching on. 

Mobile? Might struggle for a second or two depending on my connection. 

MacBook and PC streaming is always at 1080p right off the bat though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On the Chromecast it takes a minute or two but the Apple TV is a few seconds. I have a 100 down connection 

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

On the Chromecast it takes a minute or two but the Apple TV is a few seconds. I have a 100 down connection 

I actually asked Netflix support, and they said when starting a video, Netflix completely disregards any concern for quality. Its only priority is starting the video instantly, and not stopping the video to buffer at any moment. So Netflix is very aggressive in lowering video quality if it senses the stream will stop to buffer. The problem is Netflix also takes a long time to increase the resolution once it realizes enough data has been buffered to play smoothly. Hence it takes some time to get to full resolution.

Sounds like amazon video, for the first couple of seconds, it streams at 240p then jumps upto 720/1080p after a couple of seconds. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Sometimes mine can stagger up for a good few minutes. The first 30 seconds can be horrible.

22 minutes ago, garyhogan1991 said:

Sometimes mine can stagger up for a good few minutes. The first 30 seconds can be horrible.

What is your internet speed? I have 20mbps connection and it takes 40-60 seconds to get to 1080p. It is stuck at 720p most of the time.

A little trick I have figured out is that after a 10-20 secs if you skip ahead to the middle of the episode and then immediately drag it back to where you were, it will start playing at 1080p

Mines 350mbps, its pretty quick.

I sometimes just pause it and let it off then and it ends up fine.