Should I learn C++?

DarkFireGuy

I know python and Java, is there any reason to learn C++?

If so, what?

EDIT: Are there any other languages that are worth learning?

hey hey hey i leik turtles

C++ is nice for super efficient programming.

Also very useful if you're trying to win programming competitions (Competitive programming). It is able to be written in a style that is very concise, which makes it very powerful, in addition to having the OP "Algorithms" library in STL.

EDIT: Javascript (nodeJS, react, etc.) are all very hot right now. Personally it feels like cancer to me coming from Java, but those skills are very in demand at this moment.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

3 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

Also very useful if you're trying to win programming competitions (Competitive programming). It is able to be written in a style that is very concise, which makes it very powerful, in addition to having the OP "Algorithms" library in STL.

Okay, that's all I need to hear. TO THE C++ BOOKS. YE.

And I'm just 15 and haven't really considered programming neither professionally nor competitively so I'll look into it 

By the way, I really like your signature for some reason

9 minutes ago, DarkFireGuy said:

If so, what?

i started on C++ in college.  but quickly gravitated toward the javascript side of things when i got into android programming.

I would start in C++ but dont be affraid to branch out.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, DarkFireGuy said:

And I'm just 15 and haven't really considered programming neither professionally nor competitively so I'll look into it 

LEARN WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME.

Competitive programming is basically solving problems in a very short amount of time. If you want to get started, I'd recommend hackerrankSPOJ, and eventually codeforces. Have fun.

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

i started on C++ in college.  but quickly gravitated toward the javascript side of things when i got into android programming.

I would start in C++ but dont be affraid to branch out.

OKIEDOKIE

2 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

LEARN WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME.

Competitive programming is basically solving problems in a very short amount of time. If you want to get started, I'd recommend hackerrankSPOJ, and eventually codeforces. Have fun.

Yup, summer is about to start. I'mma be getting my CompTIA Security+ certification so I will do this as well

THANKS

10 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

EDIT: Javascript (nodeJS, react, etc.) are all very hot right now. Personally it feels like cancer to me coming from Java, but those skills are very in demand at this moment.

I heard SQL is good, is there any truth to that?

C++ is also good for video game programming, if you wanna try that. many game studios use C++ 

4 minutes ago, DarkFireGuy said:

I heard SQL is good, is there any truth to that?

SQL is for database stuff, which is kinda a separate section (at least in my mind).

It certainly isn't a bad thing to know sql, but I associate it a bit more with the web side of programming (which, again is not bad but I just personally don't like it).

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, DarkFireGuy said:

If so, what?

C++ is tricky man but if you already know java it shouldn’t be too difficult learning the thing.

it is used in many games so that is one good reason to learn if you are into game development.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

29 minutes ago, DarkFireGuy said:

If so, what?

Its useful for controlling robotics, making Arduino and Raspberry Pi do stuff, and hacking really old games like Angband. If you are only smart and not skipped several grades smart, you're probably not going to get a job where its useful.

If you want to work for a giant soulless corporation like all the cool kids, learn more Java, or .Net, or some JavaScript based web framework (by the time you learn it a new one will be getting popular) and make some bank. Make sure to job hop because companies don't give decent raises even to top performers.

If you want to make games - learn Unity, Unreal Engine, or some other platform. I used to make Doom mods and custom enemies and guns - lots of fun.

If you learn Swift, Android, or responsive web development with Cordova/Phone gap and you can make phone apps. This can get you jobs too.

Web Developer and Java contractor

1 minute ago, programmer said:

Its useful for controlling robotics, making Arduino and Raspberry Pi do stuff, and hacking really old games like Angband. If you are only smart and not skipped several grades smart, you're probably not going to get a job where its useful.

If you want to work for a giant soulless corporation like all the cool kids, learn more Java, or .Net, or some JavaScript based web framework (by the time you learn it a new one will be getting popular) and make some bank. Make sure to job hop because companies don't give decent raises even to top performers.

If you want to make games - learn Unity, Unreal Engine, or some other platform. I used to make Doom mods and custom enemies and guns - lots of fun.

If you learn Swift, Android, or responsive web development with Cordova/Phone gap and you can make phone apps. This can get you jobs too.

Or write viruses and make a career in the underworld.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

Or write viruses and make a career in the underworld.

I like where your head is - but if you are going to commit crimes for financial gain, this is about one of the worst routes to do it. On a serious note, if you are a good hacker you can make good money doing security work and claiming bounties on vulnerabilities you find.

2 minutes ago, programmer said:

I like where your head is - but if you are going to commit crimes for financial gain, this is about one of the worst routes to do it. On a serious note, if you are a good hacker you can make good money doing security work and claiming bounties on vulnerabilities you find.

Not as exciting as committing crimes and be a cyber criminal though :D 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

53 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

When I first starting doing JS as a Java programmer, it seemed very weird - especially not to have classes and such. Once you figure out everything is an object (other than primitives), learn how scopes and execution context work, and learn to use REST and asynchronous calls it is pretty cool. The problem is the frameworks abstract so much that you never end up learning how JavaScript really works and a bunch of things end up feeling like confusing magic.

17 hours ago, programmer said:

Sounds really coo. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, programmer said:

My dad is in Cyber Security and wants to start a penetration testing company with me after I finish my CyberSec major. SO I'll probably be doing ethical hacking at some point

On 4/21/2018 at 2:03 AM, bob51zhang said:

You can use TypeScript instead of JavaScript in React.js. TypeScript is a strongly typed language that gets transpiled into JavaScript (you get things like types, interfaces, intellisense with typescript whereas with JS, you don't). It makes it less cancer if you come from a more OOP background.