tv ?

xwrench3

my wife found this quite by accident, and i am curious about it.   https://www.skywiretvantenna.com/orderint-mod/vsl1.php?&s1=789&s2=594&s3=29940920&s4=490016&s5=570073859

my wife thinks that it will receive cable channels like discovery, amc, history etc.  but i am thinking its just going to pull in abc, cbs, nbc, and fox. does anyone actually know what is right? thanks.

Looks like a massive scam. They don't mention anywhere what channels you can receive. Just how we don't like paying for Netflix, sports on demand, cable TV etcetera.

Watching any of those without paying for it is not legal. Receiving any of those over the air is also not possible.

Looks like it's just a  overpriced antenna and you'll only get free channels that you can also get with a cheaper product.

Stay away.

Does you mum know you're here?

so these antennas are just going to give local channels like you are thinking. There are plenty of these on the market, but this one looks a little infomercial-like, maybe a scam, and I would just go to your local walmart and pick up one they have

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

It's just a TV with a digital antenna. So, DBTV, or whatever the standard is in the US. Notice that they clearly separate the "tired of subscribing to everything?" part, where they mention tons of services, to the "receive everything that it's transmitting", without specifying a single signal ("it all depends on your location"). Basically, it's the most traditional form of television, but for digital signals.

So basically: it will receive any signal that is transmitted through air in your area, and you will be able to see (without additional hardware) everything that isn't coded (and requires a decoder, the way pay-per-view works on air TV).

Then it's spiced up with "TV networks hate it but can't do anything about it!" fantasies to make it sound more attractive 9_9

2 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Looks like a massive scam. They don't mention anywhere what channels you can receive. Just how we don't like paying for Netflix, sports on demand, cable TV etcetera.

Watching any of those without paying for it is not legal. Receiving any of those over the air is also not possible.

Looks like it's just a  overpriced antenna and you'll only get free channels that you can also get with a cheaper product.

Stay away.

Antennas like this are perfectly legal, and they can't list channels because it only picks up local channels so it depends on where you are at for what channels you will get. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Antennas like this are perfectly legal, and they can't list channels because it only picks up local channels so it depends on where you are at for what channels you will get. 

Did you even read my post, or look at that website?

I said watching cable, on demand video or Netflix without paying isn't legal.

That website makes it sound like that's what this product can do, it's all rather misleading.

It's Bullshit plain and simple.  There is absolutely no law anywhere that forces cable operators to broadcast a second signal.  In fact the radio spectrum is so cluttered and spectrum real-estate is so valuable that the idea of forcing a redundant broadcast is hilarious at best. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Did you even read my post, or look at that website?

That website makes it sound like that's what this product can do, it's all rather misleading.

I'm a bit confused, I didn't see anything about watching netflix or on demand video for free. as for cable, it's perfectly legal to watch the local cable channels for free with an antenna. 

5 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

this doesnt give you cable, on demand, or netflix.  its only going to give you OTA channels. which is completely free.  i have a similar antennae plugged into my computer setup to record OTA channels.

" It should be noted that the optimal range is within 30 miles from broadcast towers "

its just OTA channels. nothing illegal going on here.

its not worth $150 bucks though when you can get a better range Leaf Antennae for half the price

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

12 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

this doesnt give you cable, on demand, or netflix.  its only going to give you OTA channels.

Again, I didn't say it does, but the website makes it sound like it can do that. (which would be illegal if it were possible)

And no, I also didn't say this product is illegal, just incredibly scummy.

Clickbait, fake Facebook reactions at the bottom of the page, 'military technology', 'a law that no television operator in the world wants you to know', mentioning how people don't like paying for certain services... Etc etc. the list goes on. 

Dodgy scummy website meant to mislead people like TS's wife.

Put your location in to this site and it will give you your local TV stations.

https://tvschedule.zap2it.com

You still may not get the channels listed it depends on how good each station's signal strength is but that will at least give you an idea.

But do not buy anything from this site, it is a total click bat site. $40 on there 50% off deal is total crap. you can find what looks like the same antenna on amazon for $25. It site screams used car sales man or late night as seen on TV infomercials.

54 minutes ago, xwrench3 said:

my wife found this quite by accident, and i am curious about it.   https://www.skywiretvantenna.com/orderint-mod/vsl1.php?&s1=789&s2=594&s3=29940920&s4=490016&s5=570073859

my wife thinks that it will receive cable channels like discovery, amc, history etc.  but i am thinking its just going to pull in abc, cbs, nbc, and fox. does anyone actually know what is right? thanks.

"100 Channels" That are no name channels being paid to broadcast to this antenna. The antenna is also probably very low quality, and as you can't replace the signal receiver (Because the decoder will be built into the dish) you'll get terrible quality. 

In summary, bullshit.

"Shashabooey" - Po

Also, it says "30 mile range." Dish brand satellite receivers have thousands of miles of range. Also it shows it with a TV on the side of a camper van. Oh yeah, it also says that it's due to the "Law that TV providers don't want you to know." The best part?? Even if it does work, you still have to pay a company for internet.

"Shashabooey" - Po

2 hours ago, CloroxBleach57 said:

The best part?? Even if it does work, you still have to pay a company for internet.

actually thats not even remotely true.

its OTA TV, you plug the antennae into the back of any tv, and you get local channels. you dont need internet at all.

also, its an indoor antennae, 30 mile range really isnt that bad and shouldnt be compared to a dish.  the "100 channels"  depends on where you live.  using a similar range one at my house, i get about 56 channels.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's just a TV with a digital antenna. So, DBTV, or whatever the standard is in the US. Notice that they clearly separate the "tired of subscribing to everything?" part, where they mention tons of services, to the "receive everything that it's transmitting", without specifying a single signal ("it all depends on your location"). Basically, it's the most traditional form of television, but for digital signals.

So basically: it will receive any signal that is transmitted through air in your area, and you will be able to see (without additional hardware) everything that isn't coded (and requires a decoder, the way pay-per-view works on air TV).

Then it's spiced up with "TV networks hate it but can't do anything about it!" fantasies to make it sound more attractive 9_9

Bingo.  All of this.  It's not a 'scam' but it's using language very selectively to mislead people.

"But in the end, you will be able to receive 85% of the top watched shows on TV."

Know what networks you can pick up in the majority of OTA broadcast regions? CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox.  ...Oh right they broadcast like 85% of the 'Top Rated Shows' because these networks are literally called 'The Big Four' for a reason. '85% of the top watched shows' does not mean 'Game Of Thrones' or 'The Walking Dead' or 'Orange Is The New Black' because those are the other 15%.  The words make it sound amazing without ACTUALLY promising anything in detail.

It's just an HDTV antenna.

Right off the bat with no price on the site should raise a red flag. Clicking "Order now" yields another button that says "Yes I want 50% off" which raises a huge red flag... It is manipulating you into shelling out $40 for an antenna you can get on Amazon for less than half the price.

As someone who has OTA in the house I highly recommend against those small indoor antennas if you can help it. I ran a rather expensive indoor antenna for almost 2 years before I finally broke down and bought a real antenna to mount in my attic. It was one of those "why didn't I do this sooner" things...truly night and day! I get more channels and zero drop-outs now. I also opted for an HD Home run so I can DVR shows right onto my Plex server and watch my shows whenever or where ever I want.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

As someone who has OTA in the house I highly recommend against those small indoor antennas if you can help it. I ran a rather expensive indoor antenna for almost 2 years before I finally broke down and bought a real antenna to mount in my attic. It was one of those "why didn't I do this sooner" things...truly night and day! I get more channels and zero drop-outs now. I also opted for an HD Home run so I can DVR shows right onto my Plex server and watch my shows whenever or where ever I want.

Well, this would depend on where you live and where your signal is coming from.  I can use a small antenna like that no problem but that's because, literally, THIS is the tower that my OTA broadcasts come off of and it has some pretty good reach :)

toronto-skyline-172436516-590cafd83df78c

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, this would depend on where you live and where your signal is coming from. 

Spoiler

I can use a small antenna like that no problem but that's because, literally, THIS is the tower that my OTA broadcasts come off of and it has some pretty good reach :)

toronto-skyline-172436516-590cafd83df78c

Well I guess that's true... I don't live too far from the broadcasting stations but still indoor antennas seem to only kinda work...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler