Should i start a designing company??

LeaksyFX

Hello,

Im less than 16 years old and i want to start a designing bussines.Should i do it?

designing what? 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

No but you can start lemonade, dog walking, snow shoveling, and babysitting businesses. Don’t go too far to the point you are starting to outcompete the local businesses though or else your government will force you to register the company and pay taxes which you can’t because you are only 14.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

No, don't know where you live but it's probably not possible to register as self-employed at your age.

Also don't know what you want to design, but I don't think you'll find a lot of customers who are going to take a 14 year old serious. 

Does you mum know you're here?

I'm not sure if you can legally register your own business at your age.

Freelancer may be a good start but I still think you need to be at least 16 to register.

No rush friend, gather resources and knowledge you will need and set for the future.

Good looking out.

You're going to be hooped to start a legitimate business at your age. If you really want to do something then build your portfolio so that when your are of age you have a head start for starting a business.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

You need to business studies at school and college before you think about doing something like that. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

STOP STOP STOP. That's not how it works.

You get an idea first, then you make it into a business. You shouldn't do it the other way around, you will most likely just force something half-baked out of your butt.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

1 minute ago, Gale said:

STOP STOP STOP. That's not how it works.

You get an idea first, then you make it into a business. You shouldn't do it the other way around, you will most likely just force something half-baked out of your butt.

nononono, just follow others ideas and business model. it works well for franchises 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You need to business studies at school and college before you think about doing something like that. 

Says who? There are plenty of entrepreneurs who has not studied business and has successfully created a business... 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You really shouldn't start a business but designing by yourself is okay. The problem with being so young is that you can't really receive payment under your own name, it will probably have to go through with your parents' approval. Don't feel discouraged about not being able to start a business, though, because even if you wait a few years but practice on your own until then, you'll have built up your skills and will probably be further along than your peers. 

The best part about art and design is that you can do almost anything by yourself as long as you have supplies or access to software. 

Why not?

I started working at 15, have done more already in my short life than half the people will do in their entire lives... :) maybe not legally register a business (usually you can from 16 onwards, you're definitely too young..) but start practicing design to improve your skills and see with your parents if they are fine receiving the payments (same with the registration process, usually you have to be 16+ to be able to accept payments).

Don't overlook studies though.

Good luck!

Sure, why not. It's not like you have to do a whole hell of a lot, and a little side cash is always nice.

Mind you, you might want to figure out how to spell business properly before you venture out on something like that ;)

On 4/20/2018 at 1:38 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

No you don't.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Commission stuff sure, i used to do contract drafting for a local architectural firm when i was in highschool, mainly designing cabinetry since thats what i was best at.

Work was easy, i got a small bit of pay from it. The reason i was able to legally do this is because its similar to like, an artist having commissions, i wasnt an employee, i was just a guy they emailed with stuff to do in exchange for money.

I was like 15 at the time, i was making 300-400$ a week usually with 2-3 individual jobs a week. It was decent money, similar to working at a fast food place full time from a pay standpoint, but i was only doing maybe 20-30 hours a week on my computer.

I stopped doing that because ya know, school. I didnt like having school and immediately going home to spend 5-6 hours on my computer drafting. Eventually it started to really impact my grades and i had to stop, even on weekends. I did a bit over summers though.

I suggest holding off on a proper business setup until you really know what youre doing, i dont mean to be dick about it, but dude you're 14 years old, you got more important things to worry about doing in the next few years, other than starting a business, like doing good in highschool, finding a first job, getting a drivers license, getting some pussy, etc

Take business classes in highschool, they'll teach you how that stuff operates, how to run a small business, etc.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:38 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Nope... Tho I know one person who really should have... Their loss :P

Seriously tho I wouldn't do it, finish school then do it. possibly go to college/Uni for design(your sector of design). If you really want to do your own business afterwards then you can take a crash course on business startups from a school (something like 6 months -1 year). However even then I wouldn't suggest jumping into a sector w/o at least a few years of provable work behind you.

Maybe finish school first and focus on getting a great degree and then im sure you could start whatever company and it will probably do really well!!!.

good luck!!!!!..

On 4/20/2018 at 1:20 PM, Ashh_x3 said:

Hello,

Im less than 16 years old and i want to start a designing bussines.Should i do it?

Will it be a Sole Proprietorship, a Corporation or a LLC?

Whom will be your directors?

How many shares and of what type are those shares?

Will you carry insurance?

Business License would be required as well.

And a sales tax account with the government.

Since you are 16, I doubt you can do anything until you are 18, so you'd have to check with a lawyer and see.

• 4 weeks later...

Not yet, but take into consideration studying graphics and design. This whole thing is not just about sketching all day, you should first understand the basics of shapes, colours etc. If I were you, I start thinking about UI/UX instead of setting up another graphical studio or agency. That's a thing that you can start right now, there are plenty of books and guides about using prototyping tools like Figma, Sketch and Axure.