Lenovo quietly introduces new affordable ThinkPads with AMD Ryzen Mobile and Up To 9 Hours of Battery Life

AlTech

Lenovo has quietly introduced new ThinkPads with AMD Ryzen Mobile APUs.

These notebooks are the ThinkPad E485 and E585.

lenovo_thinkpad_e485_e585_ryzen_1_575px.

One interesting thing to note is that these do not use Ryzen Pro Mobile APUs and instead use Consumer level Ryzen Mobile APUs.

The E485 comes with either Ryzen 3 2200U (dual core SMT with Vega 3 iGPU) or Ryzen 5 2500U (quad core SMT with Vega 8 iGPU).

The E585 is basically a 15 inch version of the E485 and comes with either Ryzen 5 2500U (quad core SMT with Vega 8 iGPU) or Ryzen 7 2700U (quad core SMT with Vega 10 iGPU).

Both models come with a discrete TPM 2.0 hardware chip. Some SKUs may also include a Fingerprint Scanner.

10d43ee4-6add-473f-8407-52e6bab356e6.png

Screenshot taken from Anandtech's article.

The base model E485 is expected to retail for around $600 USD. I'd expect the E585 to cost around $800-1000 USD based on the E485's predicted price.

Lenovo has quietly published specifications of its ThinkPad E485 and ThinkPad E585 laptops based on AMD’s Ryzen Mobile processors on its website. Coming in classic black chassis and featuring ergonomic keyboards, the new notebooks are the first Ryzen Mobile-powered PCs aimed at the SMB market segment. The new ThinkPads are equipped with a dTPM

The new AMD Ryzen Mobile-based ThinkPads are generally identical, but as their model numbers suggest, the model E485 has a 14-inch screen, whereas the model E585 features a 15.6-inch display. Speaking of displays, the manufacturer plans to offer two antiglare LCD options with its ThinkPad E485 and E585 laptops: one with a 1366×768 resolution, another with a 1920×1080 resolution. Apart from monitors, the laptops feature slightly different keyboards. The 15.6-inch versions feature a full-sized keyboard with a numpad, whereas the 14-inchers come with a classic notebook keyboard layout. Like other ThinkPads, the new models E485 and E585 are equipped with ergonomic keyboards featuring trackpoints and trackpads.

The new Lenovo ThinkPad E485 and ThinkPad E585 notebooks are expected to be available in the coming weeks. When it comes to pricing, it is set to vary greatly. There will be very affordable laptops powered by AMD’s Ryzen 3 2200U APU and featuring hard drives along with ‘HD’ displays that will probably retail for ~$600 or less, whereas the premium machines based on AMD’s Ryzen 7 2700U and accompanied by UHD panels and dual-drive storage subsystems will cost considerably higher

So yeah, hopefully we see more business laptops with Ryzen Mobile as an option. Although I'm still waiting for AMD to release a 45w monster 6C/12T mobile chip :P.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12655/lenovo-lists-thinkpad-e485e585-amds-ryzen-mobile-land-in-business-pcs

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I am happy to see some quality amd chips in laptops. It seems like for the longest time the only amd cpus in laptops were really poopy ones. I am excited to see how more amd laptop cpus influences the laptop market

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Wasn't actually aware AMD had a dual core chip in their lineup ... Although i found out the french AMD site has a pretty huge typo , listing it as a 28nm chip..

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Sweet! If I ever decide to get a laptop I'd like it to be something like that with te R5 2500u.

1 hour ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I am happy to see some quality amd chips in laptops. It seems like for the longest time the only amd cpus in laptops were really poopy ones. I am excited to see how more amd laptop cpus influences the laptop market

Sadly, most if not all AMD-based laptops are still crap. A little better than before but you won't be getting anything special. No ThinkPad T models, no Dell XPS, no Asus Zenbook or any other high-end model/brand.

Im gonna be honest.

I like amd products but this doesnt look competitive when you compare it with something like the acer aspire e15, even at the 600$ price point.

Lets see how things evolve.

10 minutes ago, Arenero14 said:

Im gonna be honest.

I like amd products but this doesnt look competitive when you compare it with something like the acer aspire e15, even at the 600$ price point.

How? AMD recommends the Ryzen 3 Mobile APUs for devices around $600 USD afaik.

Also, keep in mind that this is a Business Laptop.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

25 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Wasn't actually aware AMD had a dual core chip in their lineup

Yeah they only have 1 in their Ryzen 3 Mobile chip. The R3 2200U.

The Ryzen 3 2300U is a quad core without SMT and with Vega 6 iGPU. Sadly nobody seems to be using it.

1366 x 768

LOL.  Why the fuck does this resolution even exist anymore?  You could buy that resolution back in 2007 and even then it was considered "budget"!

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

1366 x 768

LOL.  Why the fuck does this resolution even exist anymore?  You could buy that resolution back in 2007 and even then it was considered "budget"!

My Lenovo T450 had the 1366 x 768 resolution -- okay it was a base model (with fingerprint + card reader + SIM card slot) with an i5-4300U ... but $700 CDN was hard to pass up.

It actually doesn't look too, too bad on a 14" (or smaller) laptop.

If I am not mistaken, or too out of date, lower resolution displays typically consume a bit less power.

Even if it's a 2W ~ 5W difference, that could equate up to 10% ~ 20% of extra battery life.

In low-power, thin, and light form factors, this would be pretty significant.

Cost is also something to consider as well.

That said, I've opted for the 1080p display on my new T480.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

OO was on the fence about a ThinkPad as a suitable tech support laptop, this only enforces the idea :D 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Was a bit excited till I read it was the E series.
The E series are the budget Thinkpads and from what Ive always heard were 'Standard laptops with a Thinkpad skin'.
99% of the time when you think of a 'Thinkpad' your thinking of the T series.
- I personally hope we get to see Ryzen in a T, or P model - or bring back the W series!

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

1366 x 768

Ah yes the resolution given to use by satan himself.

I don't really see 9 hours happening on that battery... Maybe with the dual core being undervolted, with the low res screen on low brightness and very low performance demands. So not real world usage.

Dual cores should not be a thing unless it's a REALLY cheap laptop, which this is not. 

That's an F in the profile pic

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, keep in mind that this is a Business Laptop.

ThinkPad Edge isn't for business. They're consumer laptops. They even still use IdeaPad BIOSes.

>1366x768

It was terrible on my old IdeaPad Y410P in 2013 and it's beyond unacceptable in 2018

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

13 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Sadly, most if not all AMD-based laptops are still crap. A little better than before but you won't be getting anything special. No ThinkPad T models, no Dell XPS, no Asus Zenbook or any other high-end model/brand.

Spec wise I'd rather one of these than a Lenovo T with Intel CPU and no dGPU.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Spec wise I'd rather one of these than a Lenovo T with Intel CPU and no dGPU.

It depends for me. AMD laptops are generally overpriced. I'm not sure whether Intel gives better deals or what's going on but AMD laptops are generally more expensive for what you get. AMD also (the chip itself aside) lacks the solid platform Intel has built. AMD lacks the choice Intel has and we get these commodity machines because of it. Recently we saw AMD chips get thrown into a 2016 chassis with a ton of empty space. Many still get 500 GB HDD and 4 GB of RAM. It's ridiculous.

Finally there are still software issues where laptops crash or refuse to run software. 

Fix all these grievances and I'm on board. I love the performance. I'm a bit iffy on power consumption/battery life;

I'm not sure if it's the chip itself or poor OEM design being the culprit. Some evidence would indicate the latter.

Either way, I hate to say it but while I may pick one up for myself if I had money to burn, I probably wouldn't recommend a friend buy it.

AMD needs to position itself as a premium brand and stop this budget-only nonsense. They need to stop being this third class product.

We kinda also need to get 45W chips for laptops (which could easily be done by binning the desktop APUs).

29 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It depends for me. AMD laptops are generally overpriced. I'm not sure whether Intel gives better deals or what's going on but AMD laptops are generally more expensive for what you get. AMD also (the chip itself aside) lacks the solid platform Intel has built. AMD lacks the choice Intel has and we get these commodity machines because of it. Recently we saw AMD chips get thrown into a 2016 chassis with a ton of empty space. Many still get 500 GB HDD and 4 GB of RAM. It's ridiculous.

Finally there are still software issues where laptops crash or refuse to run software. 

Fix all these grievances and I'm on board. I love the performance. I'm a bit iffy on power consumption/battery life;

I'm not sure if it's the chip itself or poor OEM design being the culprit. Some evidence would indicate the latter.

Either way, I hate to say it but while I may pick one up for myself if I had money to burn, I probably wouldn't recommend a friend buy it.

AMD needs to position itself as a premium brand and stop this budget-only nonsense. They need to stop being this third class product.

We kinda also need to get 45W chips for laptops (which could easily be done by binning the desktop APUs).

Well most of the issues are past issues with different AMD platforms and architectures, carrying sentiment across aside (fair thing to do) technical issues of such different things shouldn't be so readily applied to something new.

Almost every business oriented laptop has the same design traits you describe as well, tons of wasted space to cater for every SKU configuration possible in the same chassis. Innovation just isn't a thing for HP, Dell and Lenovo business laptops and to be honest those customers don't want it.

As for crappy specs, yea that's an Intel laptop thing too. My laptop given to me first time around at work was an HP EliteBook 850 G1 (i5-4200U, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD) and it was the most utterly awful user experience yet there are much higher spec options, cheap bastards.

There aren't actually that many Intel CPU options either, not in the same segment. Generally you see 3 or 4 Intel CPU options and no more without changing product type. Basically you have option 1) Terrible, 2) Awful, 3) Usable, 4) The one you want but almost never get.

Intel laptops are not a problem free platform either, mostly never caused by Intel as well. I've never kept the supplied OS on any device ever, always issues with them. I know I do a good enough job with that too since Acer APAC contacted us to create an SCCM drive package for them as it was a condition to a large sale contract they wanted and they heard we do a good job at that sort of thing, the laptop in question (an Intel one) was just horrific and used so many low quality 3rd party chipsets it was a nightmare. Lesson from that is every cheap laptop is crap doesn't matter if it's AMD or Intel.

Ryzen desktop CPUs TDP limited and pair with a dGPU would make an excellent platform to bring back the W series.

P.S. Never seen any laptop ever meet it's battery life spec, those are so worthless to look at lol.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well most of the issues are past issues with different AMD platforms and architectures, carrying sentiment across aside (fair thing to do) technical issues of such different things shouldn't be so readily applied to something new.

Almost every business oriented laptop has the same design traits you describe as well, tons of wasted space to cater for every SKU configuration possible in the same chassis. Innovation just isn't a thing for HP, Dell and Lenovo business laptops and to be honest those customers don't want it.

As for crappy specs, yea that's an Intel laptop thing too. My laptop given to me first time around at work was an HP EliteBook 850 G1 (i5-4200U, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD) and it was the most utterly awful user experience yet there are much higher spec options, cheap bastards.

There aren't actually that many Intel CPU options either, not in the same segment. Generally you see 3 or 4 Intel CPU options and no more without changing product type. Basically you have option 1) Terrible, 2) Awful, 3) Usable, 4) The one you want but almost never get.

Intel laptops are not a problem free platform either, mostly never caused by Intel as well. I've never kept the supplied OS on any device ever, always issues with them. I know I do a good enough job with that too since Acer APAC contacted us to create an SCCM drive package for them as it was a condition to a large sale contract they wanted and they heard we do a good job at that sort of thing, the laptop in question (an Intel one) was just horrific and used so many low quality 3rd party chipsets it was a nightmare. Lesson from that is every cheap laptop is crap doesn't matter if it's AMD or Intel.

Ryzen desktop CPUs TDP limited and pair with a dGPU would make an excellent platform to bring back the W series.

P.S. Never seen any laptop ever meet it's battery life spec, those are so worthless to look at lol.

I should perhaps clarify. I'm referring to current AMD laptops. As in Ryzen based laptops.

And I'm talking brand new laptops too - from this year. 

That Intel has commodity crap is a given - they're ubiquitous at every price point but they also have the premium stuff.

My reference to empty space is a brand new Dell Inspiron - I mean look at the damn internals:

https://imgur.com/gallery/bNHRG#1fWTC1y

It's horrifying. It's the 2016 design I was talking about. At least it has an SSD but god damn it - it pisses me off.

When I refer to crashes and battery life I'm also referring to Ryzen based systems that are tested by Notebookcheck. They do both battery life and power consumption measurements. They've also had issues with unstable systems. 

If that's the best we can get on an AMD platform, then it's not worth it at all. And I'm saying this as someone who wants choice.

I want to be able to pick up a Ryzen based XPS that gets excellent build quality, excellent battery life, stable system and a great user experience at the same price as an Intel system or lower if possible. Yet, I can probably pick up an Inspiron with a HDD that costs more than the Intel equivalent bottom tier. That's what I'm protesting. I have to pay more for a worse experience.

And it doesn't even have to be XPS. It could be a HP system, an Acer system, Asus system, Lenovo system or whatever the case may be. I just don't want to pay the same or more while they cut corners compared to the Intel system and push out an AMD system that has received no attention to detail or any QA work.

My question is where are the laptops with 4K screens, 512 GB NVMe SSDs, 16 GB of RAM, excellent unobtrusive cooling, with or without dedicated graphics etc etc - they're MiA. And I think the earliest we can expect that to change is when we get Zen 2 based laptop chips where (hopefully) AMD has finally convinced them that they're worth gambling on. I just think OEMs have no confidence in the brand and therefore sabotage the AMD platform yet somehow feel obligated to make a few obligatory systems so they half-ass it as much as possible.

Edit: I should note that AMD has claimed they've put their foot down on these practices but with the current batch of systems it isn't much better than in the Bulldozer era. They say they've got stricter requirements and that they're actively working with OEMs but I've yet to see anything really worth picking up. And by that I mean a system where you're picking it up because it's a great laptop - not picking it up because it's an AMD system and you pick it up to support them even if it's objectively worse. And I get that we're potentially running into a chicken and egg situation where people don't pick up AMD laptops because they're bad so OEMs don't sell any of them and therefore don't put any effort into them - rinse and repeat. Yet I honestly think that the lack of sales is because of a lack of quality. And that the sales will come if OEMs start to give a damn.

Nice. Great to see more of these. I would really like to see slim and light 17" though, much more screen area for not much physical size increase. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

So where can I shop for these? Are they out yet?

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

45Wh? 9 Hours? Not likely whatsoever lol

These are 15w Chips with low res screens so I don't see why not.