Users don't want iOS to merge with MacOS, Apple chief says

DrMacintosh

"We don't believe in sort of watering down one for the other. Both [The Mac and iPad] are incredible. One of the reasons that both of them are incredible is because we pushed them to do what they do well. And if you begin to merge the two ... you begin to make trade offs and compromises."

I don't like apple, never have never will, but this! This is exactly correct. Microsoft made this mistake with Win 8 and almost immediately had to make win 10 for fear of being burnt to the ground with bad press. They are still trying it with Win 10, but I can at least ignore their "app store" and use the computer like normal. I completely agree with Tim Cook here, except about the products being incredible, that's a matter of opinion. xD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

49 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

macOS High Sierra is somehow a dead ringer of Windows Vista and Windows Me, both are known for being buggy and unstable we might as well call High Sierra as “Apple Vista”. 

The shitiest iOS release ever which is worse than when iOS 7 was released. 

at the same time I have seen users from the old days... saying that "you think high sierra is fucked up? oh boy you have no idea when "X"(I forgot the version of the OS) was released, nowadays it is a lot better  "

microsoft and apple had both fucked up their releases... so... there is that... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

57 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

macOS High Sierra is somehow a dead ringer of Windows Vista and Windows Me, both are known for being buggy and unstable we might as well call High Sierra as “Apple Vista”. 

I mean I guess. The biggest issue with High Sierra right now is a graphical glitch that sometimes happens when you wake a Mac from sleep. 

Otherwise its very stable

58 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

The shitiest iOS release ever which is worse than when iOS 7 was released

It was kinda bad until 11.2 but we are beyond that and tbh what iOS 11 added essentially brought iOS up to par with Android. 

Not the most stable release ever, but imo the best release. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

at the same time I have seen users from the old days... saying that "you think high sierra is fucked up? oh boy you have no idea when "X"(I forgot the version of the OS) was released, nowadays it is a lot better  "

I think those people are referring to the early years of Mac OS X namely Cheetah to Jaguar when it’s definitely buggy and unstable and also the time when Internet Explorer was the default browser in the Mac as part of Microsoft’s $150 million patent cross licensing agreement with Apple. The time Mac OS X really shined is back with OS X Tiger with features that apparently shocked Microsoft execs. 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not the most stable release ever, but imo the best release. 

I’d take a stable iOS any day (which is one of the main reason why people buy an iPhone) over an iOS version with fancy half-baked features that cripples UI responsiveness which is reminiscent of Galaxy S3/S4/S5 TouchWiz. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I’d take a stable iOS any day (which is one of the main reason why people buy an iPhone) over an iOS version with fancy half-baked features that cripples UI responsiveness

Running a 6s Plus with no issues on 11.3 

just saying. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Excessive innovation has been more harmful to the technology industry than many seem to realize, but what can we do... capitalism and all these companies needs to shove down the same yet new product every year to keep those billionaire profit margins optimization be damn.

Reminds me of this clip from Real Time with Bill Maher 

I agree with Tim on this somewhat, but also disagree with him.

Microsoft's strategy isn't that bad, it's just that their execution is horrible.

The problem is that instead of just making phone apps run on desktops, Microsoft are trying to force people to abandon their old programs and only use the phone apps. That leads to compromises, and a terrible user experience. The desktop should not become the second-class citizen under phone-grade apps, but it doesn't have to. Just make an iOS emulator or compatibility layer and add that to MacOS. Don't push MacOS users into using iOS apps, but give them the option to do so. I don't see how that would be a problem.

14 hours ago, Streetguru said:

So basically Apple is going to be using Ryzen CPUs/APUs at some point in the near future?

MacBooks pros I would assume

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

Here is how I see it: Yes a lot of people are really invested on Apple as their ecosystem. It's just not necessarily the same people that also use macos on a daily basis.

To me: phones and gadgets and tech are so prevalent that most people in the western world use them daily from a fairly young age. However that doesn't means that they use it when they need to use a PC.

Simply because they might not use a laptop or a PC for the same reasons you and me would: they actually use their phone for that. There's a lot of people that choose to check their email, social networks, banking, music, etc. exclusively on their phone even if they have easy access to a PC or laptop. For them using a laptop or PC is synonymous of work, of getting shit done. If they happen to be students or have day jobs at an office that probably means a Windows PC.

So they actually probably don't care about macos even though they're daily users of iOS in terms of their phone for personal and entertainment stuff.

This is based mostly on my personal observation but something tells me there's fairly of true to that just by seeing so many people that 10 or 15 years ago considered me a super nerd for being an avid PC user and still do btw to them basically using their phones for much of the same thing I use my PC for (Listening to music, checking social media, gaming, etc.)  and it was been a completely seamless transition for them: they went from not really being interested in all of this things to being casually but still interested in all of these things but feeling their phone is good enough for this tasks.

So while your mom might not really be used to a PC or Laptop, MacOS or otherwise, statistically she probably is using a phone (and statistically, probably an iphone) to talk to friends and family on Facebook and whatsapp and will probably see a viral video or meme there and mention it. This is the way things are evolving: the internet is now the domain of phone users.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Nothing new from what I can tell. It's just really fast and it's essentially ubiquitous on mobile and mainstream desktop. Nvidia's enc/dec block seems to be better in some scenarios but I get the impression from searching that AMD's isn't particularly good but it's hard to get a clear picture because most results are about twitch streaming. I obviously want to find a proper benchmark for video editing.

A test a couple of years ago (2014) compared Quick Sync, NVenc and AMD VCE. It seems Quick Sync has the most support and sees the most development - AMD hardly provided a way to use their more efficient hybrid mode which used other components apart from the video codec engine to encode the video.

Quick Sync is not only the system which provides the best quality image and can be customised depending on the generation of the GPU core but is also the fastest, beating NVenc by 1.2-2x and VCE by 5-6x.

Intel - Iris Pro 5200

NVIDIA - GTX 750Ti

AMD - R7 260X

Source: c't

image.png.3cf96ad6cc26d96ff9410a37e2532b93.png

As you can see above Quick Sync is very close to H264 while both NVenc and VCE  form horrible compression artifacts. This is probably why we are unlikely to see AMD APUs in Macs anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

A test a couple of years ago (2014) compared Quick Sync, NVenc and AMD VCE. It seems Quick Sync has the most support and sees the most development - AMD hardly provided a way to use their more efficient hybrid mode which used other components apart from the video codec engine to encode the video.

Quick Sync is not only the system which provides the best quality image and can be customised depending on the generation of the GPU core but is also the fastest, beating NVenc by 1.2-2x and VCE by 5-6x.

Intel - Iris Pro 5200

NVIDIA - GTX 750Ti

AMD - R7 260X

As you can see above Quick Sync is very close to H264 while both NVenc and VCE  form horrible compression artifacts. This is probably why we are unlikely to see AMD APUs in Macs anytime soon.

It has actually yet to be proven that FinalCut uses Intel Quicksync. Some people on Reddit I know have done tests on Macs and haven’t seen much Quick Sync activity at all when rendering. 

Yeah the idea of combining the Mac and IOS seemed like a really weird and silly idea. Mobile OS's still require too much 3rd party software to do what in a desktop environment would be considered an essential task that the OS should do. - You have no idea how many times Ive said "This would be much easier to do if I was on my desktop."

Now, what does make more sense at this time is making things that helps going back and fourth between the two platforms seamless.
If it doesn't exist already I could picture a built in iOS emulator, or developer tools that make porting iOS apps to Mac fairly easy, or making those apps very easily cross compatible. I dunno

The merge I believe was for applications not a whole experience. 

Havent had any bugs with the latest High Sierra beta or iOS 11.3 beta, so IDK where you guys are coming from but I may have different hardware. Works great as always for me. 

Safari does bug out on YouTube specifically though and I would really like that to be fixed. If you have any bugs then you should use the beta and use the feedback app, or feedback on Apple's website, because they do follow up. 

I also don't know why every Apple thread on this forum becomes a clapstorm for Apple hate. It's a company and everyone can make their own choices about what to buy. 

On 20/04/2018 at 6:56 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Some time ago an analyst at Bloomberg claimed that Apple was working on a project to merge macOS apps and iOS apps into one. Meaning, in theory, you could have one app that ran on both platforms.

I never thought much of it and you can say Apple is dumb for a multitude of other things but knowing not to screw with their desktop OS is not one of them. Doing this would single handedly kill the Mac is if was not implemented on only a few devices.....but that comes with the catch of not catching on if Apple were not to go all out. Therefore they can't do it. 

Yes, Tim is right here. Merging macOS and iOS would effectively castrate macOS to a point where not even I would probably not want to use it. I like macOS because it is not Windows and because it is an established desktop os that runs desktop software...... iOS does not. 

Microsoft tried this, and failed. Personally I believe that Apple would be able to pull it off, but it would be a rough transition and could easily kill the Mac and I doubt anyone in any position at Apple wants that. 

Translation, you need a PC to do the work that makes the world go round. Sure an iPad "can" write an essay or edit a film.....but come on, don't kid yourself into believing that. 

And with this, I think it is safe to say that macOS as we know it today, is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/technology/users-don-t-want-ios-to-merge-with-macos-apple-chief-says-20180416-p4z9t9.html 

This all coming from the guy who in 2015 claimed desktops were dying and iPads were going to take over the world....

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/11/10/tim-cook-says-the-pc-is-dead-but-apples-still-making-desktops-and-laptops/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Intel - Iris Pro 5200

NVIDIA - GTX 750Ti

AMD - R7 260X

I'd like to see that on current systems (Coffee Lake, Pascal and Vega). Both in quality and speed of course. I mean I doubt things are the same today. With both Nvidia and AMD offering game streaming support they must be doing some work on their platform.  

That doesn't mean that the old test isn't interesting but it might be less accurate today.

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It has actually yet to be proven that FinalCut uses Intel Quicksync. Some people on Reddit I know have done tests on Macs and haven’t seen much Quick Sync activity at all when rendering. 

I do not have a source for this but I think it is highly likely that FinalCut is using some form of hardware acceleration, either QuickSync(possibly not due to reasons you mentioned and as QuickSync is rather rigid in terms of settings) or GPU . It is extremely unlikely that Apple have developed some algorithm which is able to render faster on a Core M3 than Premiere on a $3000 workstation without using specialized hardware , therefore my bet is that they have developed some form of GPU acceleration tool which is noticeably better than the one found in Premiere.

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'd like to see that on current systems (Coffee Lake, Pascal and Vega). Both in quality and speed of course. I mean I doubt things are the same today. With both Nvidia and AMD offering game streaming support they must be doing some work on their platform.  

That doesn't mean that the old test isn't interesting but it might be less accurate today.

Here is a source on the Polaris VCE for HEVC. It seems that quality still suffers compared to software encoding, no comparison to NVenc or QuickSync.

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Final Cut uses Quick Sync. It has been proven over and over again. You just have to look at encoding times on the Mac Pro (which does not have it) vs something like an iMac (which has it) to see it.

For example in this article where the quad core iMac is about 80% faster than the 12 core Mac Pro when converting a simple video to H.264. However, when they switch to H.262 which Apple doesn't seem to have implemented Quick Sync support for, the Mac Pro is suddenly 35% faster.

Here is another article about it.

How did the people you're referring to measure the activity?

On 4/21/2018 at 2:51 AM, captain_to_fire said:

In many ways Mac OS has been broken and buggy since 10.7, mostly due to the switch from Managed Preferences to Profile Manager. Not a big deal for Joe home user but it was an EPIC! pain in the ass for managed networks, so bad in fact we had to turn to 3rd party software (JAMF Casper) to get basic manageability back.

Also Profile Manager literally treats every device as a mobile device if you want a clue as to what Apple was thinking at the time.

Profile Manager is hands down the WORST thing Apple has ever done for Mac OS.

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

In many ways Mac OS has been broken and buggy since 10.7, mostly due to the switch from Managed Preferences to Profile Manager. Not a big deal for Joe home user but it was an EPIC! pain in the ass for managed networks, so bad in fact we had to turn to 3rd party software (JAMF Casper) to get basic manageability back.

Also Profile Manager literally treats every device as a mobile device if you want a clue as to what Apple was thinking at the time.

Profile Manager is hands down the WORST thing Apple has ever done for Mac OS.

Is that like some sort of built in MDM? I remember back when I worked as a pharma rep the iPad my employer issued to me uses Symantec MDM certificate. I think what broke macOS High Sierra is the transition to their new file system APFS which is odd because the transition of iOS from HFS+ to APFS was very smooth with iOS 10.3.3 but so many applications broke in High Sierra not to mention those root security bugs which can grant administrator privileges to anyone with physical access. 

Maybe it could be the reason why some companies are slowly migrating some of their resources in the cloud instead of locally hosting them in a server rack inside the company. 

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Is that like some sort of built in MDM? I remember back when I worked as a pharma rep the iPad my employer issued to me uses Symantec MDM certificate. I think what broke macOS High Sierra is the transition to their new file system APFS which is odd because the transition of iOS from HFS+ to APFS was very smooth with iOS 10.3.3 but so many applications broke in High Sierra not to mention those root security bugs which can grant administrator privileges to anyone with physical access. 

Maybe it could be the reason why some companies are slowly migrating some of their resources in the cloud instead of locally hosting them in a server rack inside the company. 

Yea Profile Manager is the back-end of any MDM used on Mac OS 10.7+ and iOS. It's the new device management framework Apple implemented and they wanted it common across devices and operating system. That's what I mean by Apple treats everything as a mobile device now, it's all MDM. Perfectly fine idea but the execution was horrifically broken.

You couldn't push basic things like wireless settings configured with corporate 802.1x settings in them, just wouldn't work. You also had about 20%-30% configuration options compared to Managed Preferences but if you reduce that to ones that worked about 10%-15%.

Mac OS 10.6 was great, you could configure it to give the exact same user experience as Windows on a network. Home drives redirected to a server which NEVER (big importance here) broke. For laptops you could use Mobile Homes to sync and use offline then when back on the network it would sync back which NEVER broke. Things just worked and with 10.7 things just didn't or didn't stay working which is actually worse. It wasn't till the very end of 10.8 life after many updates did things start to even show some kind of stability in management framework, then Apple wen't and broke it all again after 10.9. Glad I don't deal with that crap anymore.

Me + Apple =

64cec74d2781e941f85e6669c2844d053fd527dfb8e9de1be97005ae15d05804.jpg

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Mac OS 10.6 was great, you could configure it to give the exact same user experience as Windows on a network

For a different reason but I can say that 10.6 aka Mac OS X Snow Leopard is one of the best Apple has ever released granted it was my first experience with a Mac with my 2011 MacBook Air. 

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Glad I don't deal with that crap anymore.

Me + Apple =

Makes me wonder why many rich executives and managers use Macs aside from being a status symbol when Windows is still ahead when it comes to enterprise features. Apple used to sell Mac OS X server plus Xserve which they eventually killed because no one in the enterprise buys it and the only enterprise features I can think of with the Mac are:

• SMB and Kerberos 
  • Out of the box Microsoft Exchange support since Snow Leopard, something Windows 7 doesn’t have until Windows 8
  • File Vault full disk encryption 
  • built in VPN support but dropped PPTP 
  • Run Windows either natively with Boot Camp or by virtualization 

No wonder why IT guys in big companies won’t even consider replacing workstations with Macs even though Windows is still a huge target for cyberattacks 

9 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Makes me wonder why many rich executives and managers use Macs aside from being a status symbol when Windows is still ahead when it comes to enterprise features.

For a long time device wise Mac laptops were just better and more reliable, I actually liked putting Windows on MacBook Pros without Mac OS on them at all :). Apple didn't like it though.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I actually liked putting Windows on MacBook Pros without Mac OS on them at all :). Apple didn't like it though.

You can still do that, you just have to nuke the rest of the drive and give it to Windows. 

APFS is a little buggy with Bootcamp though so idk. Trackpad drivers are ass, speakers have no volume or bass compared to macOS, and the system gets bogged down by tasks that macOS never would (that is a windows issue though). 

Not like it it really matters though. They could just as easily not support Windows at all and really all I want Windows for on my Mac is World of Warships. macOS is just so much nicer imo. 

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Trackpad drivers are ass, speakers have no volume or bass compared to macOS, and the system gets bogged down by tasks that macOS never would (that is a windows issue though). 

The older MacBook Pro hardware had really good trackpad drivers, same with the audio drivers. Can't remember which model year things started to go down hill bootcamp wise but it was around the end of 10.7 or middle of 10.8, don't really remember. Windows 7 + MacBook Pro was a really nice combo when it was well supported and the battery life was awesome.

Also very much appreciated the strong metal chassis, that alone was enough for me.

There was an interesting issue with the iMacs around the 2011-2012 era as well for bootcamp, the HDD thermal sensor didn't work correctly and caused the fans to never spin up and oh boy did those things get hot. Put a resistor in the sensor input instead to force the fans to spin at a quiet but decent speed, problem solved :). Was an HDD firmware issue btw, replacing the HDD also fixes it.