Freenas to Synology scheduled backup

So I currently have a freenas machine that stores all the projects for my work. I have a synology box that I use for backups of these projects. I am trying to get the freenas box to send all the data to the synology box thats offsite nightly so that it can backup all the days work. I've looked at rsync, bittorrent/resilio sync, and a few others, and either their cloud based, or they give me error messages when I try them. With resilio, I can't even get the plugin to turn on in freenas, as well as it lacking the feature of scheduled backups. With rsync, I cannot get synology connect to the other machine. I also am having some trouble finding current information on how to set it up with freenas on version 11.1. Everything is based on freenas 9.x.x. Is there another program I should be considering, or any help to get through these problems I'm having. 

I would stick with using the builtin rsync of FreeNAS instead of a plugin. Not too far in the distant future plugins will disappear or be completely reworked - thus losing all effort you'd put in to them now. 

The synology box shouldn't be the one making the connection if you're backing up from FreeNAS to Synology. I suppose technically you could but it seems easier to configure from client to backup-host. If possible I would do some testing with the synology box locally to get rsync working - that way it takes your firewalls / routers out of the equation as possible problems. It also gives you the chance to do an initial sync locally which should speed it up.

3 hours ago, Mikensan said:

I would stick with using the builtin rsync of FreeNAS instead of a plugin. Not too far in the distant future plugins will disappear or be completely reworked - thus losing all effort you'd put in to them now. 

The synology box shouldn't be the one making the connection if you're backing up from FreeNAS to Synology. I suppose technically you could but it seems easier to configure from client to backup-host. If possible I would do some testing with the synology box locally to get rsync working - that way it takes your firewalls / routers out of the equation as possible problems. It also gives you the chance to do an initial sync locally which should speed it up.

+1 rsync is the way to go.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law