R7 2700x or I7 8700k

am going to game at max. setting, 1080p, 144hz and doing some editing and programming (adobe ae, pp, ps etc./ unreal engine/ blender and more).

Looking forward to play the new Far Cry 5 and ofcourse want to have a decent framerate, but not lose out on my render times.

2 minutes ago, FMLGamer said:

am going to game at max. setting, 1080p, 144hz and doing some editing and programming (adobe ae, pp, ps etc./ unreal engine/ blender and more).

Looking forward to play the new Far Cry 5 and ofcourse want to have a decent framerate, but not lose out on my render times.

Gaming wise, the 8700k is faster. But, the 2700x has an upgrade path, and you won't 100% NEED a new motherboard after you need to upgrade. AMD is keeping AM4 for at least a good 4 more years. So I would go with 2700x... 

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

I was just watching this video, might help.

Laptop: Sony Vaio E17 i7-3632QM // HD 7650M 

Monitor: Asus Designo MX239H // TX-58DXR800 4K

Storage: SanDisk Extreme PRO, WD Black 500GB

Sound: Asus Xonar U7 MKII // Logitech Z906 5.1 THX

Mobile: Google Pixel 7

Following because I am going to be building soon (ignore my “planned build” I haven’t edited that in a while.) I was just about to post this myself. Anyone on a follow up, the 2700x is new and not as established as the 8700k, but for a gamer and streamer, which CPU performs better?

3 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

Following because I am going to be building soon (ignore my “planned build” I haven’t edited that in a while.) I was just about to post this myself. Anyone on a follow up, the 2700x is new and not as established as the 8700k, but for a gamer and streamer, which CPU performs better?

I think the Ryzen will be more desirable for the streamer, while the i7 will be more for the record breaking framerates.  But they can both do each of those things well enough where I think you can justify either CPU - be it AMD's long lasting AM4 platform or Intels better co-op with slower RAM.

12 minutes ago, FMLGamer said:

Ryzen for the 8 cores and soldered IHS.

Also for the better upgrade path.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

43 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Gaming wise, the 8700k is faster. But, the 2700x has an upgrade path, and you won't 100% NEED a new motherboard after you need to upgrade. AMD is keeping AM4 for at least a good 4 more years. So I would go with 2700x... 

Honestly, this whole 'upgrade path' thing is somewhat overrated, why? Just look at X470 vs X370, just one generation of chipset changes and you gain XFR 2.0 and faster memory support. Would you really want to run a high end 12C/24T (or better) CPU in 2021 or 2022 on an antiquated chipset from 2018 with no support for the latest CPU features? In 4 years time we will probably be running DDR5, would you really want to run the latest and greatest CPUs on previous gen memory, just as an example.

Yeah, it will probably run, provided the BIOS updates are there, but you won't be getting the most out of your new CPU.

Because opinions are still mixed and both cpu's are both a great option, I will just wait out how intel will react.

If intel lowers prices or comes with another early launch, then intel will be the best option (for me).

2 minutes ago, FMLGamer said:

If intel lowers prices or comes with another early launch, then intel will be the best option

Those things are highly doubtful since people tend to buy intel anyways no matter the price increase for a relatively minor performance increase.

As such I don't think they have any reason to lower pricing even if they launch an 8 core Coffee Lake chip, assuming it even works on Z370 boards. Pricing will most likely be $399 for the 8800 and $449 for the 8800K

Or 8086K as the rumors say.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, FMLGamer said:

Because opinions are still mixed and both cpu's are both a great option, I will just wait out how intel will react.

If intel lowers prices or comes with another early launch, then intel will be the best option (for me).

For 144Hz gaming, Intel is clearly the winner. Ryzen is a great productivity CPU (especially if you can max out the threads) but for pure gaming Intel wins hands down. 

upgrade path is no valid argument.

If you have to buy two CPUs where the 2nd of it might or might not reach the same performance for the usecase (gaming) its irrelevant and a higher waste of money.

instead buy the performance it might or might not reach in future iterations right now by choosing the stronger product for this usecase.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

7 minutes ago, epsilon84 said:

For 144Hz gaming, Intel is clearly the winner. Ryzen is a great productivity CPU (especially if you can max out the threads) but for pure gaming Intel wins hands down. 

Wins is kind of relative though

Since a much cheaper R6 2600/K is still going to be over 100fps in most games, depends if they really need the extra performance, or if saving money on the CPU is desired.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Wins is kind of relative though

Since a much cheaper R6 2600/K is still going to be over 100fps in most games, depends if they really need the extra performance, or if saving money on the CPU is desired.

If you want value from a gaming CPU then the i5 8400 or heavily discounted R5 1600s (which aren't much slower than 2600s when overclocked) would be the value play IMO.

But that isn't what the OP is deciding over though, it's between a 2700X and 8700K, two very powerful CPUs in their own right, with the 2700X having the higher MT throughput but the 8700K with the higher IPC and clockspeeds.

Gaming tends to favour the latter, so yes, it is a win for Intel WR to high refresh rate gaming.

i think, if you dont plan to overclock, you should buy ryzen. Because the difference isnt that huge anymore.

If you plan to overclock however, difference becomes serious.

A fully overclocked ryzen 2 might beat Intels 8700k@stock slightly in gaming performance, this is how huge the difference really is if you think about it. (atleast if you get a good sample though)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

1 minute ago, DarkSmith2 said:

i think, if you dont plan to overclock, you should buy ryzen. Because the difference isnt that huge anymore.

If you plan to overclock however, difference becomes serious.

A fully overclocked ryzen 2 might beat Intels 8700k@stock slightly in gaming performance, this is how huge the difference really is if you think about it. (atleast if you get a good sample though)

Overclocked Ryzen 2 cannot beat a stock 8700K for gaming, it is about on par with a stock i5 8400. This is purely for gaming, for productivity Ryzen OC destroys an i5

It is like buying a 

Normally aspirated v8  

Vs

Turbo Charged V6

The V6 is going to be more fuel efficient, and optimized for power. It will he highly tuned to provide more power than the larger engine but also more costly.

The V8 is going to be bigger and able to handle a bigger load more easily, but will not be as highly tuned for ultimate performance or power. It is however, a better bang for the buck.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/18 All the games shown on here show better perf with ryzen ever since the meltdown and spectre updates. You're gonna want those updates if you go with either CPU so Ryzen seems like a better option.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

33 minutes ago, This kid builds pc said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/18 All the games shown on here show better perf with ryzen ever since the meltdown and spectre updates. You're gonna want those updates if you go with either CPU so Ryzen seems like a better option.

fake / strange testing

I mean, you see those numbers and ask yourself, how the hell is a 8700k 100fps+ faster in rocket league then a 7700k? All those numbers doesnt make any sense right now, not the slightest. And since every other review online contradicts anandtech, you can think further yourself ...

4 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

fake / strange testing

I mean, you see those numbers and ask yourself, how the hell is a 8700k 100fps+ faster in rocket league then a 7700k? All those numbers doesnt make any sense right now, not the slightest. And since every other review online contradicts anandtech, you can think yourself further...

Not to mention, meltdown shouldn't have that much of an effect on newer CPUs.  Just doesn't sound right.  If it were accurate I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot more people around here reporting about it.

10 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Not to mention, meltdown shouldn't have that much of an effect on newer CPUs.  Just doesn't sound right.  If it were accurate I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot more people around here reporting about it.

Just wanted to point this out: 

SmJBKkf.png

Looks like the new 2700x is 3-4 times faster than the 1800x in gaming. According to Anandtech.