Do I take the job?

Radium_Angel

I've been offered a job at my work for 75K. This is a bit more than I make, but it's for a job I'm not really interested in (server admin. I currently do systems admin) as my current job I get to walk around the building and discuss systems with people, provide tech support, keep my eye on what they need, etc.

With server admin job, I'm stuck at a desk all day managing the dozen (or so) servers we have, but it would add a new dimension to my knowledge base, although I don't anticipate leaving this job ever (I work for the gov't) because the work is slack and the perks are great, so a change in my knowledge base wouldn't be that much of a plus.

So, asking for advice...go for (slightly) more money, or stay doing a job I like?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I would stay with the job i like more over a payraise of "a little more " but less enjoyment from the job. 

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

58 minutes ago, malon said:

I would stay with the job i like more over a payraise of "a little more " but less enjoyment from the job. 

How much more would they have to pay you to take a job you're not interested in?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

45 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

How much more would they have to pay you to take a job you're not interested in?

Good question, if i didn't have a job i would say atleast enough for rent/morgage , any returing bills, my hobby's to keep me happy and  roughly 700-1000 to save each month after that and i would be looking for an other job that i enjoy after hours(so roughly 2800 netto each month).

But in my current situation where i make less (than the above number) but still enough to pay the bills, can save a few hundred a month, do my hobby's on a regular basis and enjoy my job i would not go unless they offered me atleast 1000 netto extra each over my current possition.

I truely believe that a job that you love and can live off  comfortably (even if it is at a lower pay) is better than a job you are not intrested in but has a slightly better pay.

just my 2 cents.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

10 minutes ago, malon said:

I truely believe that a job that you love and can live off  comfortably (even if it is at a lower pay) is better than a job you are not intrested in but has a slightly better pay.

Yeah that's my belief as well

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Not enough IMO, whatever extra money a job would give, it's not worth your mental sanity. Having a job you don't like might be fine at first but it will start to wear you down and after a while, taking a hit on your salary to be happy at work will seem like the best thing in the world.

Seen it happen with friends and coworkers, one of the coworker I had at a previous employer had taken an almost 40% cut on his salary because he couldn't stand his previous job, first few years were ok and the money was great he said, but he just couldn't take it anymore.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

If you enjoy your current job and wouldn't like the other one, just remain in your current one, right? If you're living comfortably then that's the important part.

I would say remain.  In that time consider where it is you want to be in 5 years and work towards that.  Then take a job conducive to getting there. 

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've been offered a job at my work for 75K. This is a bit more than I make, but it's for a job I'm not really interested in (server admin. I currently do systems admin) as my current job I get to walk around the building and discuss systems with people, provide tech support, keep my eye on what they need, etc.

With server admin job, I'm stuck at a desk all day managing the dozen (or so) servers we have, but it would add a new dimension to my knowledge base, although I don't anticipate leaving this job ever (I work for the gov't) because the work is slack and the perks are great, so a change in my knowledge base wouldn't be that much of a plus.

So, asking for advice...go for (slightly) more money, or stay doing a job I like?

Well the if you deny the job opening then the company will not look kind on you in the future.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Well the if you deny the job opening then the company will not look kind on you in the future.

It's gov't. They won't care. Basically I have right of 1st refusal. 

Stay in what makes you happy. If you move to something you don't like, it can make your entire life miserable, and what if they don't let you go back to the job you had before? Could very well be the end of your lucrative career.

Also, not sure if you've thought of this, but does the pay raise put you at the bottom of the next tax bracket? That's something people often forget to look into when they're considering pay raises, and a lot of them actually end up making less even though their yearly salary is "more."

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

More money is good, but you have to look at what tax bracket you will get into and what the raises are. Sure you can stay doing what you are doing for a lot less money then moving up.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Stay in what makes you happy. If you move to something you don't like, it can make your entire life miserable, and what if they don't let you go back to the job you had before? Could very well be the end of your lucrative career.

Also, not sure if you've thought of this, but does the pay raise put you at the bottom of the next tax bracket? That's something people often forget to look into when they're considering pay raises, and a lot of them actually end up making less even though their yearly salary is "more."

Yeah I considered the tax bracket, but it's a solid point for others to read. Yeah it puts me into a new bracket, but I haven't spoken to my tax guy to see where or what it would do to my taxes....have to talk with him shortly, just to find out.

75k what? gold nuggets? Ask them about the benefits. Any paid vacation and perks like free lunch? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, wasab said:

75k what? gold nuggets? Ask them about the benefits. Any paid vacation and perks like free lunch? 

It's a gov't job, every holiday off with pay, tons of sick/vacation/personal time, 401k, etc etc etc. But I have that already since I work for the gov't.

and it's 75k US dollars per year

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's a gov't job, every holiday off with pay, tons of sick/vacation/personal time, 401k, etc etc etc. But I have that already since I work for the gov't.

and it's 75k US dollars per year

If it's a job your'e not interested in and you're content where you're at now, then I probably wouldn't bother unless trying to raise your high 3 for retirement. We get into a similar situation in the office I work at as well. Not sure what pay band you're in but we top out at a 12 and the only way higher is in an exempt supervisory roll. Only other thing to consider is the rumor that an upcoming pay freeze might even affect step increases, and not just COLA.