2560x1080p too pixelated?

Dedshark

So I have a 2560x1440p 27" monitor thats IPS and gsync with overclocked to 165hz and it's great but I really want a ultra wide but i'm afraid if I go 3440x1440p i'll eventually have to keep upgrading to keep up with the demand but I do love how they look. Also I do notice a difference when at 120hz refresh compared to my normal 144hz plus As I tested this on my current monitor last night. So my thinking was going 34" ultrawide 2560x1080p would get me the ultrawide and also allow me to push higher fps but it scares me that it will look all pixelated and I couldn't see shit at a distance. I do have a 1080p 24" now and playing pubg and fortnite I can definitely notice enemies at a distance are much harder to make out compared to the 1440p monitor.

34 inch is prob too big for that res. I htink 29 inches is the max size for 1080p, but I don't have experience with 34 inches so...

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

34 inch is prob too big for that res. I htink 29 inches is the max size for 1080p, but I don't have experience with 34 inches so...

Agreed, I wouldn't buy anything 34 inches or higher if it was below 1440p.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I'm afraid i'll have to wait until the 200hz ultrawides come out later but they're gonna be so expensive I don't think i'll be able to afford it.

6 minutes ago, Dedshark said:

I'm afraid i'll have to wait until the 200hz ultrawides come out later but they're gonna be so expensive I don't think i'll be able to afford it.

If you save up for it, you might be able to by the time they come out. You never know.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I personally own a 34in 2560x1080p display, and I don't have an issue with it, but it's a fairly subjective thing. I also don't have a 3440x1440p display to compare it to.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I have a 25" 1080p Ultrawide, the pixel density is awesome, everything looks great. I'd imagine a 29" isn't much worse, and has the advantage of a bigger screen. But 34" is too big for 1080p IMO. Just like 27" is the max I'd want to use for a normal aspect ration 1080p monitor. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So basically for an ultra wide my only option for high refresh and good pixel density is the new Alienware... Damn it's expensive.

1 hour ago, Dedshark said:

So basically for an ultra wide my only option for high refresh and good pixel density is the new Alienware... Damn it's expensive.

asus rog swift is good 

if you can go 32 inch 1440p 16:9 then do so - I love it!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

7 hours ago, Dedshark said:

So I have a 2560x1440p 27" monitor thats IPS and gsync with overclocked to 165hz and it's great but I really want a ultra wide but i'm afraid if I go 3440x1440p i'll eventually have to keep upgrading to keep up with the demand but I do love how they look. Also I do notice a difference when at 120hz refresh compared to my normal 144hz plus As I tested this on my current monitor last night. So my thinking was going 34" ultrawide 2560x1080p would get me the ultrawide and also allow me to push higher fps but it scares me that it will look all pixelated and I couldn't see shit at a distance. I do have a 1080p 24" now and playing pubg and fortnite I can definitely notice enemies at a distance are much harder to make out compared to the 1440p monitor.

Theres alot of misconceptions about having a low PPI.

The main problem is that in most games, setting it to a 1080 resolution will show significant allaizing, but this is NOT a result of the screen itself, infact a high amount of AA, or simply a higher internal render resolution will solve this, making the image free of any alaizing. The only thing left then will actualy be the PPi of the screen.

you can test this your self, on any game of your choice that has alasing, increase the resolution in any way available to you, be it an ingame option for internal rendering resolution, or create a custom resolution for downsampling, like nvida DSR. you will find that the picture will improve.

If you dont do this, which to be fair not all users know that its possible or how to do it, then going from a 1080p screen to a 1440p or 2160p will show significant imporovments in image quality, but it wont all be down to the screen, alot of it will be down to game being played at a higher rendering resolution.

So i wouldnt be to worried about going from 1440p to 1080p, simply run a higher internal rendering resolution on the 1080 screen. if you never used DSR befor and u end up running the equivilant to 2160p on the 1080p screen, u may infact find it looks better than ur 1440p screen.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |