20 pin connector in 24 pin motherboard.

Oscar_
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 hour ago, Oscar_ said:

Is there any difference between having 20 o 24 pins connected?

It's for additional power delivery. The four pins provide another connection for 12V, 5V, and 3.3V, plus ground. This is mostly to spread the amperage around.

If you don't need the additional power, then you don't need it.

I have found that my computer have connected only 20 pins instead of 24. The power supply even have the other four, but disconnected. Should I connect the complete ATX connector or just don't touch it? I have been using the PC for around 2 years and I've never had any problem. Is there any difference between having 20 o 24 pins connected?

17 minutes ago, Oscar_ said:

I have found that my computer have connected only 20 pins instead of 24. The power supply even have the other four, but disconnected. Should I connect the complete ATX connector or just don't touch it? I have been using the PC for around 2 years and I've never had any problem. Is there any difference between having 20 o 24 pins connected?

It is best you connect. Is it a prebuilt?? What is the CPU and Motherboard?

36 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

It is best you connect. Is it a prebuilt?? What is the CPU and Motherboard?

My uncle built it.

The CPU is a i5 6400 and the board is an Asrock H170A-X1. I'm using it with a GTX 960.

59 minutes ago, RollTime said:

I'd say you should definitely connect the last pins.

Why? I've never had any problem. I'm not using the 'full potencial' from the connector, but i don't know, it's working.

1 hour ago, Oscar_ said:

Is there any difference between having 20 o 24 pins connected?

It's for additional power delivery. The four pins provide another connection for 12V, 5V, and 3.3V, plus ground. This is mostly to spread the amperage around.

If you don't need the additional power, then you don't need it.

@Crunchy Dragon hi i just wanted to say hi so Hi!

2 hours ago, Oscar_ said:

Why? I've never had any problem. I'm not using the 'full potencial' from the connector, but i don't know, it's working.

There is really no reason not to. To have extra pins won't hurt anything, and it will help if you want to overclock etc. 

it's time

3 hours ago, Oscar_ said:

What hardware/Components are you using?

Because the 24pin ATX connector was introduced back in 2004. There shouldn't be many Boards with only 20pins.

So there is a chance that we are talking about some proprietary Stuff...

If it is really ATX Stuff, you can put a 24pin in a 20pin socket, most PSU still have 20+4 pins.

You just have to be cautios about the extra 4pins and not use them as a CPU connector...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"