AMD Ryzen 2 Review Mega Thread

The Benjamins

I Will be listing all the reviews linked, or that I find. De8auers Review is a nice overclock look into it, 4.3 is the wall he hit under air/water.

Videocardz review round up: https://videocardz.com/75975/amd-ryzen-2000-pinnacle-ridge-review-roundup

De8auer:

Spoiler

Linus Tech Tips

FP link: https://www.floatplane.com/video/1GnntKilB5

Spoiler

PCPer: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ryzen-7-2700X-and-Ryzen-5-2600X-Review-Zen-Matures

AnandTech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600

Gamers Nexus: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory

Spoiler

HardOCP: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/04/19/amd_2nd_gen_ryzen_2_2700x_zen_cpu_review

Overclock 3D: https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_5_2600x_and_ryzen_7_2700x_review/1

Spoiler

The Tech Report: https://techreport.com/review/33531/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-and-ryzen-5-2600x-cpus-reviewed

Guru 3D: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,1.html - https://techreport.com/review/33531/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-and-ryzen-5-2600x-cpus-reviewed

Tech PowerUp: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600X/

Tom's hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

Paul's hardware:

Spoiler

Hardware Unboxed: https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/

Spoiler

Level1Tech: 

Spoiler

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Be fun to see this once more get uploaded :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

8 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Be fun to see this once more get uploaded :P 

This is what I will have for now, I will update more later.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

This is what I will have for now, I will update more later.

Here is Hardware Unboxed review:

Also really good that I didn't have to do a mega thread

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

Unfortunately, I can't watch it, but Level1Techs are doing a live stream:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What about the non-X variants? Are they coming later?

I think so, AMD does not put the non X parts out into the light because they are not the stars of the show.

Their appears to be a shit storm in Anandtech comments on the review due to them having test showing the Ryzen chips beating Intel in gaming test, but as far as I can tell they are one of the few that has intel patched 100% for spectrum and meltdown. and x470 already has the AMD spectrum variant 2 patch in firmware.

So best gaming CPU with latest security patches is AMD.

Anandtech are looking into it.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/17

Spoiler

97168.png

97192.png

97162.png

So I'm honestly really confused about something.

Nearly all the reviews I've seen put Ryzen 2 in between Ryzen 1 and Covfefe lake for gaming performance. Except for one. Anandtech's review shows Ryzen 2 ahead of every single other CPU lineup in gaming performance. It's ahead of even Covfefe Lake by at least 5-10%, in every single game they tested.

Now, normally I would hardly glance at it and attribute this to testing methodology, but this is Anandtech we're talking about. I've trusted their testing for years and they're my #1 choice for tech reviews, so I can't really take this lightly.

Ian seems to believe that this is because they tested with all the new meltdown and Spectre mitigations, and that they're impacting gaming performance for covfefe lake. However, some sites like Techspot claim they have tested them all with the latest mitigations. However, according to Tom's Hardware, who only tested Ryzen 2 with Spectre Variant 2 mitigations, whereas Covfefe Lake only had Spectre Variant 1 mitigations, the variant 2 ones were only released really recently, around a week ago. I'm honestly not sure if Techspot tested with Variant 2 mitigations or not.

This is honestly really confusing, and I don't want to make a proper decision about Ryzen 2 gaming performance until all this is figured out. But it looks like it's possible that, with the security patches, Ryzen 2 could overtake the gaming performance crown...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So the TL;DR/TL;DW is 5-15% increase in games at 1080p with a 1080ti depending on game and how much memory OC fussing you were willing to do with both the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series. The real interesting thing that came up is Anandtech's use of full SPECTRE/MELTDOWN patches on all systems which appears to have murdered in it's crib pretty much all of Intel's gaming performance advantage.

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Nearly all the reviews I've seen put Ryzen 2 in between Ryzen 1 and Covfefe lake for gaming performance. Except for one. Anandtech's review shows Ryzen 2 ahead of every single other CPU lineup in gaming performance. It's ahead of even Covfefe Lake by at least 5-10%, in every single game they tested.

Now, normally I would hardly glance at it and attribute this to testing methodology, but this is Anandtech we're talking about. I've trusted their testing for years and they're my #1 choice for tech reviews, so I can't really take this lightly.

Ian seems to believe that this is because they tested with all the new meltdown and Spectre mitigations, and that they're impacting gaming performance for covfefe lake. However, some sites like Techspot claim they have tested them all with the latest mitigations. However, according to Tom's Hardware, who only tested Ryzen 2 with Spectre Variant 2 mitigations, whereas Covfefe Lake only had Spectre Variant 1 mitigations, the variant 2 ones were only released really recently, around a week ago. I'm honestly not sure if Techspot tested with Variant 2 mitigations or not.

This is honestly really confusing, and I don't want to make a proper decision about Ryzen 2 gaming performance until all this is figured out. But it looks like it's possible that, with the security patches, Ryzen 2 could overtake the gaming performance crown...

Someone pointed out that Anandtechs gaming benchmarks for the 8700k is higher in the Ryzen review then the 8700k review. so really why is the Ryzen scores so good?

18 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Well they are re validating their data, so lets wait and see.

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Someone pointed out that Anandtechs gaming benchmarks for the 8700k is higher in the Ryzen review then the 8700k review. so really why is the Ryzen scores so good?

the 2600 is beating the the 8700k in games in Anandtech review by a HUGE margin, probably something went wrong, margin of error wouldn't even count for that much of a change.  We are talking about a 40% difference from other reviews.  Can't compare between reviews yeah but this doesn't exactly fit with anything in reality.

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

the 2600x is beating the the 8700k in games in Anandtech review, probably something went wrong, margin of error wouldn't even count for that much of a change.

Anandtech used a fully updated and patched Intel system for Meltdown and Spectre; but are also reviewing it all.

I wonder if the others also updated and patched their test benches. Will be interesting to see what Anand find testing with, and without the updates and patches.

A number of comments have noted that some of our gaming numbers are different to other publications. To clarify, we used the latest ASUS 0508 BIOS (on X470), full Windows RS3 + updates, Spectre/Meltdown patches, and updated gaming titles. We are reviewing the data.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

37 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Anandtech used a fully updated and patched Intel system for Meltdown and Spectre; but are also reviewing it all.

I wonder if the others also updated and patched their test benches. Will be interesting to see what Anand find testing with, and without the updates and patches.

40% spread lol? that huge, I can see 10% and what not for those patches, but 40%, something else is going on.  Pretty much a 6 core 12 thread ryzen is kicking the ass out of 8700k.  2600 non X is killing it too, and that is clocked at 3.4 ghz, vs the 8700k's 3.7  ghz.  No way that could just happen because of the patches, we already know the patches don't really hurt gaming performance.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

40% spread lol? that huge, I can see 10% and what not for those patches, but 40%, something else is going on.  Pretty much a 6 core 12 thread ryzen is kicking the ass out of 8700k.  2600 non K is killing it too, and that is clocked at 3.4 ghz, vs the 8700k's 3.7  ghz.  No way that could just happen because of the patches, we already know the patches don't really hurt gaming performance.

Well for Haswell and Ivy the patches murder performance. We won't know until Anand finishes validating; or others other patch and update and redo their tests. Just gotta wait and see what's going on here.

One thing I noticed was Anand also ran their memory at the rated JEDEC speeds, 2933Mhz for Ryzen 2; and 2666Mhz for Coffeelake. Likely also plays a role yet again.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

21 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

One thing I noticed was Anand also ran their memory at the rated JEDEC speeds, 2933Mhz for Ryzen 2; and 2666Mhz for Coffeelake. Likely also plays a role yet again.

Which is pretty much the absolutely best case scenario for pre-builts. Be interesting to re-run both at 2400 as well and see what pops out.

30 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well for Haswell and Ivy the patches murder performance. We won't know until Anand finishes validating; or others other patch and update and redo their tests. Just gotta wait and see what's going on here.

Good points, more than the patches memory speeds probably plays a bigger role

36 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

40% spread lol? that huge, I can see 10% and what not for those patches, but 40%, something else is going on.  Pretty much a 6 core 12 thread ryzen is kicking the ass out of 8700k.  2600 non K is killing it too, and that is clocked at 3.4 ghz, vs the 8700k's 3.7  ghz.  No way that could just happen because of the patches, we already know the patches don't really hurt gaming performance.

Well it could be there are issues with the Intel patches that are making the performance worse then it should. We will just have to wait and see what they find when they revalidate their numbers.

In our overclocking testing, the best we were able to do was a fixed 4.2GHz overclock on all cores.

Gee gee.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

36 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Gee gee.

Is that as a good thing or bad thing?

UFD Teach

Science Studio

Optimum Tech

MCS Tech

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240