Want to watch LTT in China? There's a few (legal) ways

williamcll
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
28 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Wait you guys can't watch LTT in China? Why not?

great firewall

And the Bilibili channel is official. Our translation team runs it.

Internet censorship in China has actually become more lax over the past two years despite the major VPN ban applied on web services and web stores, there are three ways you can watch Mr. 加拿大白票王 while in the Far East:

1. LTT has an official page over Bilibili, offering both English and Chinese translations as well as new videos that come out faster than youtube. You don't get 4k howeverimage.png.f2977c0b26a445606486b6f8ebbd7db1.png
  2. Get a SIM card from Hong Kong with mainland China roaming. Internet is routed to Hong Kong rather than through Mainland ISPs

Prepaid sim cards from China mobile Hong Kong and China unicom Hong Kong offers unrestricted internet over 4G

image.png.daf0d4371f91651a4c53efeb155aae5b.png

Spoiler

If you really want a VPN use Opera VPN, it works for some reason where other VPNs like tunnelbear and hidemyass doesn't.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

So... Are his videos hosted on this platform, or just referenced from YouTube? Does the watch count go towards his YouTube video hit count?

Because if not, and it's being shown without him getting benefits of any commercials/ad rev, then it may not be "legal". I think that'd be a question to as the LTT legal team...

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

So... Are his videos hosted on this platform, or just referenced from YouTube? Does the watch count go towards his YouTube video hit count?

Because if not, and it's being shown without him getting benefits of any commercials/ad rev, then it may not be "legal". I think that'd be a question to as the LTT legal team...

Official translation team, doesn't count towards you tube though.

If you look at some of the dates the videos are posted you would notice that some are posted even earlier than youtube.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Also, WTF is this video, and why is the thumbnail censored?

"Gore."

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

great firewall

And the Bilibili channel is official. Our translation team runs it.

Don’t use YouTube then. You should be doing youkou and Weibo instead of twitter or YouTube.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 4/19/2018 at 1:33 AM, Orangeator said:

All of Google (with the exception of Google translate) is blocked in China, and this includes YouTube and other Google services, like Blogspot. Same with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and a long list of other websites and services.

As for VPNs, there are a few VPN that still work, but best IMO is a private VPN from your own home "server/desktop" (granted not everyone can do it, but it's simple enough IMO), I tested that personally last November.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 4/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, wasab said:

Don’t use YouTube then. You should be doing youkou and Weibo instead of twitter or YouTube.

Youku video quality are often poorer though. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, williamcll said:

Youku video quality are often poorer though. 

Not much you can do about that. To broadcast in China, you have to play by their rules. Maybe host the videos on their own websites? 

On 4/20/2018 at 7:02 AM, wkdpaul said:

All of Google (with the exception of Google translate) is blocked in China, and this includes YouTube and other Google services, like Blogspot. Same with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and a long list of other websites and services.

As for VPNs, there are a few VPN that still work, but best IMO is a private VPN from your own home "server/desktop" (granted not everyone can do it, but it's simple enough IMO), I tested that personally last November.

But what’s the point if Chinese users are not likely going to be using either vpn or YouTube? LTT needs to seek a Chinese platform if they are sticking to a social media to host their video contents.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, wasab said:

But what’s the point if Chinese users are not likely going to be using either vpn or YouTube? LTT needs to seek a Chinese platform if they are sticking to a social media to host their video contents.

My comment about the VPN was really geared towards visitors/tourists (that's why I mentioned making your own VPN using your PC).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

My comment about the VPN was really geared towards visitors/tourists (that's why I mentioned making your own VPN using your PC).

But if so... why do they need to translate it to Chinese?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

27 minutes ago, wasab said:

But if so... why do they need to translate it to Chinese?

What about users from The Republic of China (ROC)?  This censorship only applies to The People's Republic Of China (PRC) but it's not the only China, or Chinese speaking nation in the world.

56 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

What about users from The Republic of China (ROC)?  This censorship only applies to The People's Republic Of China (PRC) but it's not the only China, or Chinese speaking nation in the world.

Well, Taiwan is not the first that thing that comes to my mind when LTT announces they will make videos for Chinese audiences....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

21 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Taiwanese users have no issues accessing both BiliBili and youtube, so the choice to use a Chinese video sharing site would allow a larger number of audiences.

On 2018-04-20 at 4:48 AM, TheEvann33 said:

Do you get any financial compensation if I watch a video there?

No, we just thought it was important to have some kind of presence in China.. so we adopted a group that was already pirating and translating our videos anyway -_-

Sleeping with the enemy

Still. Some one those chinese viewers have to eventually make it down the linr to buying a shirt or something.

if you guys want to watch LTT in china, just use a vpn service like I do...

express VPN is the best I have used. 

Im in china so you got any questions hit me a PM. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 4/18/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

it may not be "legal"

It is in China, who knows what the laws are in China

On 4/23/2018 at 9:39 AM, Canada EH said:

It is in China, who knows what the laws are in China

As long as you're not being political/religious (discussion regarding international politics/religion are fine) you're good to go.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-04-20 at 11:02 AM, AshleyAshes said:

ROC constitution prevents them from censoring anything

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Minor update: Techlinked and NCIX videos are behind done by another unofficial translation team.

Interestingly, many of linus' NCIX videos have more views than current LMG videos.