My Corsair LL120 RGB Fans Lighting Node Pro caught fire

phongle123

I'm going to give all the details I did to see if this is my fault (shouldn't be) or a defective unit.

I purchased the 3x 120mm Corsair LL120 fans and it came in today. I wanted to see the cool lights so I:

1) Plugged 1 Fan's RGB plug into the Lightning Node Pros 6 port hub.

2) Plugged the 6 port hub into the 2 port hub.

3) Plugged the SATA Power Connector into the 6 port hub and another into the 2 port hub.

DID NOT DO:

1) Did not plug the Fan's power into the motherboard.

2) Did not plug the Mini-USB into the 2 port hub or the motherboards RGB plug.

I was only testing it to see if the LEDs would come up (I'm well aware I wasn't going to get RGB since the RGB plug wasn't plugged into the motherboard). 

I turned it on and immediately I saw a short circuit spark and the wire of the 2 port hub caught fire immediately and smoke was everywhere. I held my power button on my computer and I was blowing on the fire at the same time. It took it about 3 seconds before it turned off.

You can see that 2 pins from my SATA cable also got melted. I do not know if this is the Lightning Node Pro being defective, the SATA cable being defective, or me doing it wrong. I highly doubt that there is anything I could have done wrong here, all I was doing was plugging stuff in.

What do I do here? I bought it from Newegg. Am I able to return this? I do not want to RMA it to Corsair. I no longer want any of their RGB fans so I do not want a replacement. I've got 6 more Corsair LL fans that are coming excluding these 3. So I am going to be returning those ASAP.

20180418_231247.thumb.jpg.f513b6feae4ad45a6015527d0e567e2d.jpg

Just now, Pangea2017 said:

What it is your psu?

Even on good psu like the AX1200i the short circuit protection might not work under some circumstance.

1000W EVGA G3

5 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

That the short was such a problem is AFAK because of the strong single rail design.

For hub itself contact the vendor.

So you're saying that if I plug in another Lighting Node Pro into my EVGA G3 it would just blow up again. At this point I don't think I want a replacement hub.

Lemme see if I'm reading this correctly.

1 hour ago, Pangea2017 said:

No. If you plug anotherhub in it will work (unless this hub is also bad).

So it was a defective hub

The high amp rail (over 80A@12V alias 960W) was the cause why it catched fire.

This is part of my PSU? If so it would not change and the "high amp rail" would again short circuit another hub whether or not the hub is defective?

With a lower amp rail it would have traped the overcurrent protection and the psu shutsoff before the thing ignite.

All I did was plug it into the SATA connection, I don't think I have control how much current it puts out. 

Additionally, is it safe to reuse that SATA Cable? Or is only the 1 SATA connection fried and the rest are okay?

• 1 month later...

I just ran into this exact same issue, did you ever find a solution?