Homemade Linux Server with samba isn't quite working

Drew Chase

So I turned my old 2014 iMac Pro into an Ubuntu server for my a media server using plex I also host a domain, ssh, apache2, Minecraft, samba and a few others. But the main problem that I am having is the SAMBA server.  I bought this to my professor's attention and he recommended going to a forum so here I go.  When I attempted to connect using Windows Homegroup and SAMBA it works on my laptop using WiFi but when I use my gaming rig to transfer some files it says this:

image.png.a049efcb542392b2b9814816b48975d5.png

but when I log in to it with my laptop, again, it asks for my credentials...   And here is my networking settings:

image.png.79b8701f1e3f372d538ad83d20e30297.png

Each one is the same.

If anyone can help that would be great. it's a real pain to continue using FileZilla with all of the speed restraints my desktop has 10 gig file speeds and the server has 1 (I believe)

Is Samba running and active? Also, can you ping the server on your network? (Open cmd and type in "ping <IP Address>" without the quotes).

Moved to Troubleshooting.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just to clarify, your laptop can connect to it (over wifi) but the desktop pc (over Ethernet presumably) can't?

So you know that samba itself works (as the laptop can access it)?

Just clarifying so we can stop folk asking you to check things that are working.

My first thoughts are: the share may be using smb1 and your desktop hasn't got support for it enabled.

Is your Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet on different subnets?

On 4/18/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tabs said:

Just to clarify, your laptop can connect to it (over wifi) but the desktop pc (over Ethernet presumably) can't?

So you know that samba itself works (as the laptop can access it)?

Just clarifying so we can stop folk asking you to check things that are working.

My first thoughts are: the share may be using smb1 and your desktop hasn't got support for it enabled.

It works over wifi I attempted to plug my laptop into the ethernet and it still connects to the samba server.   And how would I get support for samba on my desktop, its running Windows 10 educational edition? or would it be a matter of the ethernet card because that is a killer_ethernet from MSI? Also SMB1 client and server are both enabled in my windows features list

On 4/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, MikeSK said:

Is your Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet on different subnets?

No, they are on the same subnet and I checked the subnet mask and they should be finding each other 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:52 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is Samba running and active? Also, can you ping the server on your network? (Open cmd and type in "ping <IP Address>" without the quotes).

Moved to Troubleshooting.

I can ping and connect to using SSH and my web server is up and running as well as my Plex server and I can connect to it using my laptop on ethernet and wifi it's just my desktop that doesn't seem to have the connection

I believe I have found the issue.  My iMac's Motherboard has just failed and now when I launch it I just get a white screen and I believe this is the reason that some functions were not working.  Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but at the end of the day my third and crappiest computer is now dead and I am in the process of building a new one.