How do you bloody move the files on IOS????

Go to solution Solved by katoptrys,

I would personally try if you can get it on your icloud and download it on your computer. I'm lucky that I've never had to move stuff from my 6s to my PC, because I know it is a nightmare

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

what problem exactly did they eliminate?  The ability to easily and conveniently share files between any device in a standardized fashion?  Thank god that burden has been lifted /s

Airdrop is a standard to the Apple Ecosystem and iCloud is a standard to anything with a WiFi connection. 

They eliminated the need for a wire and file system based transfers of anything. 

iOS is never going to move away from this model, and why should it? Apple gains nothing from doing that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Airdrop is a standard to the Apple Ecosystem and iCloud is a standard to anything with a WiFi connection. 

They eliminated the need for a wire and file system based transfers of anything. 

iOS is never going to move away from this model, and why should it? Apple gains nothing from doing that. 

They gain a better product.  Even if airdrop and itunes and all that stuff was a flawless godsend and better in every way, they would still be foolish to lock down the traditional means because it means reduced compatibility with other devices which is bad for the consumer, and offering those methods would not prevent them from having their own system in any way.  No one should have to use wifi, much less the internet, to transfer a file if they could do it at higher speed and with greater ease using a cable, and no one should have to use special software for something as basic as moving files.

But you're right, they will never move away from that model because for every 10 people they lose to this practice, they manage to lock 1 in, and that 1 will buy enough other apple stuff to make it more profitable for apple to keep it this way.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

you seem to suggest that if i wish to get 100% best experience out of apple products i have to fully invest in their ecosystems. No thanks. Google drive is superior to icloud, macs are overpriced, i do not wish to use the former and i have no desire to purchase the latter. I am very annoyed by the apple's you have to use our products and services or else you cant do sh*t closed walled mentality. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because that shouldn't be the only way to do it.  Any half decent, sane device since pretty much the beginning of time would let you just plug it into a computer and copy it off.

As a mod you should know better than to go turn this thread into an argument. It doesn't help the OP. 

To Answer OP's question you can use Mail to get the file directly or use YouTube / FaceBook / Instagram / WhatApp / Messenger as an intermediary. In the Photos app press on the box with the arrow coming out on the bottom panel. Other 3rd party apps may be available. 

Another method would be to install iTunes via WINE or VirtualBox. 

If you are still having trouble then this may help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/928750/how-do-i-access-ios-camera-pictures-on-ubuntu-17-04

It uses libimobilledevice and iFuse to mount your /pics directory. It is only available up to iOS 10.3 and the iPhone 7+, however it does work natively. 

37 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

As a mod you should know better than to go turn this thread into an argument. It doesn't help the OP. 

I explained a much needed perspective, corrected misinformation, and defended logical, consumer-friendly practices against those who would advocate their destruction.  To suggest that I "should know better" than to do that is frankly insulting and slightly disturbing.  If you'd like to help the OP, the rest of your comment would have been sufficient on its own:

37 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

To Answer OP's question you can use Mail to get the file directly or use YouTube / FaceBook / Instagram / WhatApp / Messenger as an intermediary. In the Photos app press on the box with the arrow coming out on the bottom panel. Other 3rd party apps may be available. 

Another method would be to install iTunes via WINE or VirtualBox. 

If you are still having trouble then this may help: https://askubuntu.com/questions/928750/how-do-i-access-ios-camera-pictures-on-ubuntu-17-04

It uses libimobilledevice and iFuse to mount your /pics directory. It is only available up to iOS 10.3 and the iPhone 7+, however it does work natively.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s completely irrational to think Apple cares about the people that are complaining that you can’t just drag an MP3 into the Music app from your PC because the people who want that are statistically insignificant compared to the ones willing to use the program designed for that task......

In other words. Most of Apple/iphone users can't think for themselves, they have too low IQ for that. Instead they should be told what they need/want and then they can do something with that knowledge. In this case Apple tells you "Fuck you! You will use our software to just copy files to/from our phone". That's why people call this kind of apple users iSheep :D

It's 21 century and you can't install app from browser to your phone, can't move app to the phone and install it from there, can't use BT to copy files to other devices (other then apple product), can't charge and listen to the music in headphone jack without some fucking expensive Y form cable, can't rollback on older OS version if you do not like newer one, can't even fix your phone yourself (new iOS update bricked many iphone 8 because they had changed screens in third party company lol) can't use NFC to copy files, FUCK can't even manage YOUR desktop and install some theme on your phone. You are told to use iphone as it is and you can't do anything with it. iSheep as i said :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

43 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

It's 21 century and you can't install app from browser to your phone,

Side loading on iOS is a thing you know, and you can do it from the iPhone through a browser. 

can't move app to the phone and install it from there

Yes you can. One tool that exists is Cydia impactor which installs basically anything. There are other programs that do the same thing and iTunes is the 1st party way to do that as well. 

can't use BT to copy files to other devices (other then apple product)

Bluetooth file sharing apps exist on the App Store if I'm not mistaken. 

can't charge and listen to the music in headphone jack without some fucking expensive Y form cable

Then don't do that or use wireless headphones. It's not that difficult. If you don't want to buy a cable then don't buy a cable. 

can't rollback on older OS version if you do not like newer one

Thats why you don't have to update. And actually you can roll back. For a few weeks after an initial release Apple continues to sign the previous few versions in case anything goes wrong. 

can't even fix your phone yourself (new iOS update bricked many iphone 8 because they had changed screens in third party company lol)

No comment

can't use NFC to copy files

NFC is freaking dead. Nobody uses it meanwhile AirDrop is used every day between iOS devices. 

FUCK can't even manage YOUR desktop and install some theme on your phone

Nope, you can't, and I could not care less. Everyone I have heard from admits that that customization aspect is a gimmick and once you mature you stop caring and just want your device to work. iOS just does that out of the box. 

You are told to use iphone as it is and you can't do anything with it. iSheep as i said :D

And you're wrong, as I'm saying now :D 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 4/19/2018 at 4:26 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Well first off videos and images are in the same folder. 

As for those things, iTunes does that just like FileExplorer does and actually has way more control since it’s designed to manage that type of content. 

You can take the position of “it should be able to do everything through FileExplorer” or you could be rational and see that, no, it shouldn’t and that iTunes is much better way to manage content. 

A few MB on your storage drive is all it takes to save you from being salty that it doesn’t interface without a program. And once you are done you can always uninstall it. 

iTunes on Windows is a piece of crap. I've HD nothing but problems with it. It uses at least 10% CPU all the time and now I can't even use it to interface with my iPhone because it refuses to update and install on my computer. 

That's an F in the profile pic

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I've HD nothing but problems with it. It uses at least 10% CPU all the time and now I can't even use it to interface with my iPhone because it refuses to update and install on my computer. 

Must be a you problem.