How do you bloody move the files on IOS????

Go to solution Solved by katoptrys,

I would personally try if you can get it on your icloud and download it on your computer. I'm lucky that I've never had to move stuff from my 6s to my PC, because I know it is a nightmare

Ahhhh, ios is seriously driving me nuts. I just wish to do a simple thing, moving a 2 minute video to my computer. I can't use lightening cable because my computer is linux (no itunes) so i have to do this wirelessly.

i tried uploading the thing using webdav on document app but because of the stupid ios, i have to first move the video from DICM and into my documents app and i am now stuck with this for the past 10 minutes

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180418214343.png

Then I tried uploading it to my google drive, it is 10 minutes past and i get this image 

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20180418214357.png

Seriously, what do I have to do just to transfer a bloody file???? I have to sumbit the video to my school website because it is a bloody assignment. 

Why the bloody hell apple??? why cant you just let me do one simple thing? 

Anyone has any idea what i should do? i dont have a windows machine around me and no, i cant use air drop or whatever because my machine is linux and i dont have a mac. 

Edited by wasab
Fixing pictures position

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I would personally try if you can get it on your icloud and download it on your computer. I'm lucky that I've never had to move stuff from my 6s to my PC, because I know it is a nightmare

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

1 minute ago, katoptrys said:

How do I do that? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

How do I do that? 

I think it would be done through the icloud app. I'm honestly not sure as I haven't used it before personally, but classmates who had to film shit on their phone for class did that all the time. Either that, or try emailing yourself the attachment

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

13 minutes ago, wasab said:

i cant use air drop or whatever because my machine is linux and i dont have a mac. 

Linux is SoL. 

iCloud Drive and Google Drive are you best options. Google Drive is a hot mess and depending on how long the video is will determine how long it takes Google Drive to see it and upload it. 

iCloud Drive doesn't care and would just upload the file as is without any Google fuckery but its desktop environment only exists on macOS and Windows. It has a web interface but it is limited compared to its native Finder/FileExplorer environment. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Linux is SoL. 

iCloud Drive and Google Drive are you best options. Google Drive is a hot mess and depending on how long the video is will determine how long it takes Google Drive to see it and upload it. 

iCloud Drive doesn't care and would just upload the file as is without any Google fuckery but its desktop environment only exists on macOS and Windows. It has a web interface but it is limited compared to its native Finder/FileExplorer environment. 

I figured it out. seems like the phone already sync the video to the icloud so i just needed to login in on my laptop's browser. 

i am gonna go to bestbuy tomorrow and get myself a new android phone. I am really fed up with countless inconveniences and issues from both the software (ios 11) and the phone (iphone x)  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

lol welcome to iOS

I would try Google Drive.  If it lets you upload the file you should be golden, but there is a good chance it won't.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Votivee said:

You could probably try Dropbox as well

likely not. drive did not work, it just keep on saying uploading and then after 15 minutes when it finally finishes(on a simple 2 minute video), nothing happens, i see no file

i dont believe dropbox will be any different and registering an account there just for this is tedious. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol welcome to iOS

I would try Google Drive.  If it lets you upload the file you should be golden, but there is a good chance it won't.

yeah, it didnt work. i was able to get the file on icloud though

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

I figured it out. seems like the phone already sync the video to the icloud so i just needed to login in on my laptop's browser. 

How is that inconvenient? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

How is that inconvenient? 

Because that shouldn't be the only way to do it.  Any half decent, sane device since pretty much the beginning of time would let you just plug it into a computer and copy it off.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because that shouldn't be the only way to do it.  Any half decent, sane device since pretty much the beginning of time would let you just plug it into a computer and copy it off.

You can do that. 

The issue was getting a file off a PC into an iPhone. Mostly for security reasons Apple doesn’t let you just plug into a PC and start writing to the file system. 

A lighting to USB/SD adapter would allow importing of the video file into the Camera roll if you put the file on a flash drive or SD card. 

If you had a Mac you could just Airdrop it

If you had a Windows PC or Mac you could throw the file into iCloud in Finder/FileExporer or imported it via iTunes. 

And the final option is a 3rd party cloud service. 

Seems like a plethera of options to me but saying iOS is bad for not interfacing with Linux isn’t really fair. 

You can do that. 

The issue she was getting a file off a PC into an iPhone.

No, it was getting a file from the phone to the computer

Mostly for security reasons Apple doesn’t let you just plug into a PC and start writing to the file system. 

As do all phones I'm aware of, but unlike iOS they still let you do simple file transfers once you give the OK by unlocking your phone

A lighting to USB/SD adapter would allow importing of the video file into the Camera roll if you put the file on a flash drive or SD card. 

I think this is specific to moving something from computer to phone

If you had a Mac you could just Airdrop it

If you had a Windows PC you could throw the file into iCloud in FileExporer or imported it via iTunes. 

it shouldn't require specialty software to transfer, that is so incredibly janky and inconvenient and reminds me of shitty early mp3 players

nor should it require uploading to a cloud service.  It's great to have that option, but it would be totally stupid to use that as the main method if you could just move it across on a cable locally.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, it was getting a file from the phone to the computer

Plugs in iPhone with a cable* 

Windows USB device noises* 

Open File Explorer> DCIM> drag to your PC. 

Dont blame iOS for someone’s choice to use Linux! 

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Now do the same with your music, documents, "voice recordings", or anything other than images or footage you shot on the phone.

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

xD this has absolutely nothing to do with Linux, it's entirely an iOS design failure that this sort of incredibly basic functionality is locked down for some inexplicable reason.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now do the same with your music, documents, videos, "voice recordings", or anything other than images.

Well first off videos and images are in the same folder. 

As for those things, iTunes does that just like FileExplorer does and actually has way more control since it’s designed to manage that type of content. 

You can take the position of “it should be able to do everything through FileExplorer” or you could be rational and see that, no, it shouldn’t and that iTunes is much better way to manage content. 

A few MB on your storage drive is all it takes to save you from being salty that it doesn’t interface without a program. And once you are done you can always uninstall it. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well first off videos and images are in the same folder. 

As for those things, iTunes does that just like FileExplorer does and actually has way more control since it’s designed to manage that type of content. 

You can take the position of “it should be able to do everything through FileExplorer” or you could be rational and see that, no, it shouldn’t. 

A few MB on your storage drive is all it takes to save you from being salty that it doesn’t interface without a program. 

Literally every other similar device I can think of is capable of exchanging files in this way.  It's completely irrational to think it shouldn't be able to do this.  Phones are basically fully fledged computers - or at least they could be - and exchanging files between devices is a standardized, universal thing that all "advanced" devices have been able to do for all of recent history.  There is no reason to lock down the generic way of doing this and inconvenience people by shoving software they don't want and shouldn't need on them.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Literally every other similar device I can think of is capable of exchanging files in this way.  It's completely irrational to think it shouldn't be able to do this.

It’s completely irrational to think Apple cares about the people that are complaining that you can’t just drag an MP3 into the Music app from your PC because the people who want that are statistically insignificant compared to the ones willing to use the program designed for that task......

It’s been this way since the iPod!

Don’t like it? Buy another phone. According to the OP that seems to be what he wants. 

If a new phone is worth a few MB on a storage drive just so he can use Linux and it’s file manager that is his choice and nobody’s going to bat an eye. 

It’s completely irrational to think Apple cares about the people that are complaining that you can’t just drag an MP3 into the Music app from your PC because the people who want that are statistically insignificant compared to the ones willing to use the program designed for that task......

Don’t like it? Buy another phone. According to the OP that seems to be what he wants. 

If a new phone is worth a few MB on a storage drive just so he can use Linux and it’s file manager that is his choice and nobody’s going to bat an eye. 

Well that is the apple way isn't it.

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that is the apple way isn't it.

Since the iPod my guy

35 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You can’t move files on windows either if you have no iTunes installed. For me iTunes is bloatware and I remember I usually uninstalled it immediately after transferring files with it on a windows machine.

android can transfer files on Linux(heck, I develop android apps on Linux), my camera can transfer files on Linux, why can’t iphone? Inconvenience is inconvenience . Downloading iTunes and logging into iTunes is an inconvenience  itself. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Since the iPod my guy

I know.  It was bad enough back then when all it did was play music and videos but modern smartphones are (at least capable of being) full computers.  It pains me to think of the potential needlessly thrown away in the pursuit of... I don't even know what.  To be fair, Android, compared to a desktop OS at least, is also super locked down, but it's a damn sight better than iOS.

1 minute ago, wasab said:

why can’t iphone

Because Apple doesn’t care about that use case since it’s entire ecosystem eliminated that problem years ago. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because Apple doesn’t care about that use case since it’s entire ecosystem eliminated that problem years ago. 

what problem exactly did they eliminate?  The ability to easily and conveniently share files between any device in a standardized fashion?  Thank god that burden has been lifted /s