Regular blu ray player with 4k tv ?

zindan

Hello, if I were to use a ps4 or regular blu ray player with a 3840x2160 55 inch tv how would it look ? would it look worse than on a 1920x1080? will there be no difference? Is this even possible to do ? 

It depends on how good the scaler is on the player and how far you're sitting away from the TV. A lot of people don't sit close enough to a 4K TV to actually see a difference between 1080p and 4K (for a 55" 4K TV, the optimal distance is about 7'9" or 2.35m)

Edited by M.Yurizaki
Bad conversion of units.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It depends on how good the scaler is on the player and how far you're sitting away from the TV. A lot of people don't sit close enough to a 4K TV to actually see a difference between 1080p and 4K (for a 55" 4K TV, the optimal distance is about 7'7" or 2.35m)

42-45 inch then ? hmm like 2.5 meters distance 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you have a 45" 4K TV, the distance is is 6'4" or 1.92m

How about 4k netflix vs 4k blu ray ? 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Streamed video is often of lower quality than UHD Blu-Ray, but I think it's something you actually have to stop and scrutinize unless you're the type to always scrutinize.

Okay thank you.

On my friend's LG 4k tv, standard Blu Ray looked fine. Heck, the original few Scooby Doo episodes from my old dvd looked surprisingly good. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I have a 65" 4K TV with an HTPC running Kodi and a Radeon R9 390X in it, while Kodi is running at 4K itself, it means that any 1080p content (That is, MOST content) is being scaled up by Kodi) but while I have some 4K content, honestly, I can not tell the difference.  For GAMING I can because in a lot if 'high noise' areas where you'd see shimmering, like trees and stuff, you see an improvement, but for video content like movies can't tell the difference.

And this is really true for a few reasons.  Firstly, only so much of a movie or TV show is actually in focus with plenty that is more softly out of focus as it is out of the area if interest.  There's not a lot of stuff with an exceptionally deep depth of field to get the most out of 4K unless it's shot specifically to make you go 'Ooo' in 4K.  Also there's all the anime I watch, a lot of that stuff isn't even internally worked on at 1080p and it's already been scaled up a bit just to conform to 1080p as it is.  So there's no huge gain.

Really, I didn't get a 4K TV because I wanted 4K.  I got it because all the 65" TVs are 4K now.