Amazon (AMZN) has exceeded over 100 million prime members.

ItsMitch

This story is developing......

Source: TicToc - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-18/jeff-bezos-says-amazon-has-exceeded-100-million-paid-prime-members

Tweet from TicToc breaking the story.

Amazon.com Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos said the company has exceeded 100 million paid Prime subscribers and will continue to invest to meet “ever-rising” customer expectations, Bloomberg News reports.

Bezos noted the milestone in his annual shareholder letter, published Wednesday. The letter is the founder’s opportunity to underline his long-term strategy for investors, seeking to bolster their confidence as he continues to plow Amazon’s money into expanding internationally, building a brick-and-mortar presence, and inventing new products like Echo speakers and the Alexa voice-activated digital assistant.

This is fairly big for Amazon, reaching such a huge milestone for the company and earning a hell of a lot of money in the process. I bet investors and shareholders are going to be very pleased. 

Let's do some quick maths. Amazon Prime in the US costs $99 yearly and there is 100m users that are paying $99 a year. That's 9.9 billion dollars. Yes, that's right. 9 BILLION DOLLARS, that's a lot of cash for Amazon to enjoy. (Maybe pay of some taxes while it's at it ayyyyyyyyy)

Amazon Prime: Spend more money to save money.

Honestly though, I like it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Amazon Prime: Spend more money to save money.

Honestly though, I like it.

Yeah, I've stayed with the student version of Prime personally, it's only like 30 pound, so like $40, very good value for 1/2 day shipping

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

-snip-

Huh, maybe they will finally improve Prime Music in the near future. Yeah... probably not going to happen.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Been a member for years.  Pays for itself in the first quarter of use.

this. it literally pays for itself very quickly if you use the service a lot.

it's easily $10-20 per item ordered to ship 2 day normally.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I had student Prime nad it was great since it was $39.99 a year.  After 3 years they wanted proof that I was still a student and I wasn't so I let it expire.  Earlier this week they were like 'CLICK HERE FOR AMAZON PRIME STUDENT!' and I did and it didn't ask for ANY proof that I was still a student or to supply another EDU email it just WORKED.  I saw my credit card bill and it was even for $39.99+Tax.  ...So that's super.

9 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Let's do some quick maths. Amazon Prime in the US costs $99 yearly and there is 100m users that are paying $99 a year. That's 9.9 billion dollars. Yes, that's right. 9 BILLION DOLLARS, that's a lot of cash for Amazon to enjoy. (Maybe pay of some taxes while it's at it ayyyyyyyyy)

9 billion dollars in revenue, but certainly not profits. Chances are, Amazon actually loses money on that because they are spending a fortune on free shipping, as well as stuff like TV shows, music licenses, and so on.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I had student Prime nad it was great since it was $39.99 a year.  After 3 years they wanted proof that I was still a student and I wasn't so I let it expire.  Earlier this week they were like 'CLICK HERE FOR AMAZON PRIME STUDENT!' and I did and it didn't ask for ANY proof that I was still a student or to supply another EDU email it just WORKED.  I saw my credit card bill and it was even for $39.99+Tax.  ...So that's super.

Hm... I wonder how long I get to keep my university email address after I graduate... >:)

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Hm... I wonder how long I get to keep my university email address after I graduate... >:)

for me it was about 4 months before they "purged and purified"

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

That's the thing though, simply having an educational email address was NOT enough when they wanted proof.  After 3 years they wanted a transcript or student ID scan or something a lot more material.  Hence why I let it expire.  ...And I did NOT provide anything like that nor make any interaction with my educational email address when they let me sign up again.  I was just a HUGE full page thing when Iw as doing an order being all 'You could get t his FASTER for FREE if you pay for Student Prime!' and I was like 'I will click this on a lark, as I am sure they will next ask for scans of educational documentation' but then boom, welcome to Student Prime. o.O  And hey, I'm not so keen on full price prime but half price prime?  Okay.

I've been a member (Rather my family) for 3 years now I think? It certainly does pay for itself.

I get it for £37/yr due to student discount, really can't complain when you get things like unlimited one day shipping & Mr. Robot :ph34r:

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

this is probably one of the best purchases ive made, 20€/year for ~75 orders (this subscription year) with free shipping and amazon video

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Prime has been worth it for me. So good for Amazon. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I would be a prime user if my debit didnt cry every time I used amazon xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Its money well spent if amazon is your primary shopping website and is on the sale for £20 less :)

They might have 100M prime accounts but several million are free trials that u get yearly and some of it is just people from twitch.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Been a prime member for the past 3 years. It's the epitome of convenience. Especially since we have Prime-Now 2 hour shipping in my area. It's like ordering pizza, but I get steak, beer, and ice cream instead.

Their Prime Visa card is pretty great as well. 5% back on Amazon purchases, 2% back on gas and restaurants, and 1% back on everything else. 2 months into owning that card, and I have $75 in cash back already.

I'm not surprised. Prime Student is really awesome and I'm a member :P. Next day delivery is really cool.

Prime Student is hugely popular around where I am.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Subtract one from that number.  So, I gave Amazon another shot.  Ordered a new x470 Gigabyte board that's supposed to be released tomorrow (direct from Amazon, not their marketplace) and signed up for a month of Prime.  Got an update that it will arrive on the 30th.....with Prime 2-day shipping.......

Canceled my order and my Prime membership.  I knew I never should have trusted Amazon again.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Got an update that it will arrive on the 30th.....with Prime 2-day shipping

How is that Amazon's fault that the people who provide them the stuff fucks up? I've had that problem a few times but I spoke to CS and they gave me a amazon vouncher or a discount. But I'm sure amazon will miss you dearly. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

9 billion dollars in revenue, but certainly not profits. Chances are, Amazon actually loses money on that because they are spending a fortune on free shipping, as well as stuff like TV shows, music licenses, and so on.

While your close, you're not quite on the mark. Amazon re-invests that money to find more efficient ways to run the company. They reinvest the money each dept. makes back into that same dept. Source: Family member who is a Regional Manager for the Midwest & South American regions.

8 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Thats assuming after all the sales are for prime in us only because price for prime varies largely region to region. For e.g. prime in India costs 1000 INR or 15$ for a whole year.

Prime in Canada costs 62 US$.

Even in the us there is a student plan which is for 40$ for a year.

And that too as @LAwLz pointed out is in revenue and not in profits.

Edited by AG1233

idk how they make money on it... so there's prime video, which is like netflix.  Not quite the same selection though so we'll say that's worth $5/month.  Then there's Amazon Music, which is the same story - there are competitors but they have more selection, so I'll give that another 5.  Then there's Twitch Prime which is worth exactly $5/month since it literally gives you a subscription you can use that's worth that.  Then there's the cloud photo storage which, to be fair, you can get from Google for free so that's not technically got any "price" to it, but it does have some value since there would be cost associated with it.  Even still, I'll consider it 0 for the sake of this calculation.

Just that stuff alone is worth 15 x 12 = $180 / year!  Now consider if you buy just 1 thing every 3 months, which isn't very often at all, that's an additional expense/value since to pay for two day shipping individually would cost something (idk, $8 each time?).

Even the $99/year option starts to look good in this light but if you're only paying 39, well... yeah, it's nice :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

While your close, you're not quite on the mark. Amazon re-invests that money to find more efficient ways to run the company. They reinvest the money each dept. makes back into that same dept. Source: Family member who is a Regional Manager for the Midwest & South American regions.

I find it hard to believe that the money they reinvest comes from Amazon Prime though. It's no secret that Amazon has up until recently (like, 2015?) dumped all their profits into the business again.

I am not denying that they made money that they then reinvested into the business in general. What I am questioning though is how much, if any, of that money comes from Amazon Prime specifically. My guess is their profit on Prime is near 0 if it isn't straight up a loss for them.

However, even if Amazon Prime itself loses money, it is still possible that it results in them making more money because it encourages people to choose them over competitors as well as buy more things.