In search of a great free to play MMORPG

Wh0_Am_1

Hey guys, lately I have been looking for a great MMORPG that is free to play all the way without level limits and the like, that is also view-able in the first person, (and perferably not owned by a Tencent or one of their subsidiaries like Blizzard or Riot Games), and I decided why not ask what the LTT community has been playing. (P.S. a good Sci-Fi or Sci-Fa would be nice.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I don't know any free ones to recommend but the cheapest good one is Black Desert Online. One off cost of like £5-10. RuneScape isn't first person and has a subscription but you can pay for the subscription with in game currency - that being said it's hard to get into because most of the stuff is end game.

There's really not many super amazing free MMORPGs. Most are subscription based or have a one time fee. Tbh I would recommend just biting the bullet and buying one. Subscription based ones I wouldn't recommend going for however.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, fringie said:

I don't know any free ones to recommend but the cheapest good one is Black Desert Online. One off cost of like £5-10. RuneScape isn't first person and has a subscription but you can pay for the subscription with in game currency - that being said it's hard to get into because most of the stuff is end game.

Interesting... I'll look into it.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, ExquisiteRack said:

There's really not many super amazing free MMORPGs. Most are subscription based or have a one time fee. Tbh I would recommend just biting the bullet and buying one. Subscription based ones I wouldn't recommend going for however.

Yeah, that's much of what I have seen, or ones where you have to pay for a subscription once you reach a certain point, like EVE online. 

3 minutes ago, ExquisiteRack said:

6 minutes ago, fringie said:

Thanks for the replies! 

Elder Scrolls online would be worth a look.  You need to buy the game but you don't have to subscribe (you can sub for some perks though if you want).  You can play it first person if you like and everything is pretty much level scaled so you aren't limited to which zones you play.  Plus if you end up a high level and go back to help a low level friend you can't just steamroll oneshotting everything due to the level scaling.

1 minute ago, Majinhoju said:

Elder Scrolls online would be worth a look.  You need to buy the game but you don't have to subscribe (you can sub for some perks though if you want).  You can play it first person if you like and everything is pretty much level scaled so you aren't limited to which zones you play.  Plus if you end up a high level and go back to help a low level friend you can't just steamroll oneshotting everything due to the level scaling.

OK, I'll have to think about that one. Thanks!

I can't comment too much on the mmo aspects and endgame parts of the game as I haven't experienced those quite yet.  I've been mostly just questing and enjoying the single player elements but that's actually been the biggest draw for me.  I can just relax and quest on my own time.  And if I feel like it, I can group up and do the group content.

I used to play Final Fantasy XIV.  While fun, you would actually be forced to play through group content (dungeons) to get through the main story which became a pain for someone like me who maybe had an hour to kill before bed to play some games and didn't want to wait 20 minutes in a queue.   I still think Final Fantasy XIV is a great MMO, but I had to stop due to time constraints.  And it's not a free MMO either :P 

Sci-Fi? Try Star Trek Online. Ground combat defaults to third person, but that can be changed. The game is divided into ground and space combat: You command your own starship and execute ground missions with a team of four NPC officers. It's not geared very heavily towards queued group events, but almost everything can be done with a group if so desired. It's also getting it's fourth playable faction in about two months, so there's bound to be a major bump in playerbase.

Feel free to ask if you wish to know anything specific about the game. It's available on Steam and Arc, as well on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. No paid expansions. No requirements to spend cash, very open player driven in-game market. It's eight years old at this point, but if you like Star Trek even a bit (or have never seen any), it's definitely worth a try.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:28 PM, tatte said:

Sci-Fi? Try Star Trek Online. Ground combat defaults to third person, but that can be changed. The game is divided into ground and space combat: You command your own starship and execute ground missions with a team of four NPC officers. It's not geared very heavily towards queued group events, but almost everything can be done with a group if so desired. It's also getting it's fourth playable faction in about two months, so there's bound to be a major bump in playerbase.

Feel free to ask if you wish to know anything specific about the game. It's available on Steam and Arc, as well on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. No paid expansions. No requirements to spend cash, very open player driven in-game market. It's eight years old at this point, but if you like Star Trek even a bit (or have never seen any), it's definitely worth a try.

Thanks! 

On 18.4.2018 at 11:24 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Hey guys, lately I have been looking for a great MMORPG that is free to play all the way without level limits and the like, that is also view-able in the first person, (and perferably not owned by a Tencent or one of their subsidiaries like Blizzard or Riot Games), and I decided why not ask what the LTT community has been playing. (P.S. a good Sci-Fi or Sci-Fa would be nice.

Same Topic, same Answer:

Try SWTOR.

Its not that bad. Though it lacks Content for people who played since Prerelease Date...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/21/2018 at 5:50 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Same Topic, same Answer:

Try SWTOR.

Its not that bad. Though it lacks Content for people who played since Prerelease Date...

On 4/21/2018 at 5:56 PM, Starelementpoke said:

Wizard101 bby!

Those are indeed some good suggestions, I will look into them. Thx!

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, I think that I have settled on a game called TERA, though the character design has much to be desired... Oh well I will just have to get over the fact that they have a guy who looks like he is wearing 500 pounds of armor. Once again thanks! It really was a tough decision with these great suggestions.

Here's my recommendation. If you want a better one go for Black Desert it's really famous nowadays because of cool graphics and very vague game features. However, you can also try the following MMORPG they are free to play but kinda old now.

Cabal Online

Ragnarok Online

Tera Online

RF Online

I hope that helps.

adventure quest worlds is the only MMORPG I could even understand and play. idk why but from WOW to ESO they all have confused me with what to do and stuff. just not my type of game IG but I loved AQworlds as a kid

Ok thanks! I will throw those on the list of games to look at after I get bored of TERA online.

10 hours ago, kamilia said:

Here's my recommendation. If you want a better one go for Black Desert it's really famous nowadays because of cool graphics and very vague game features. However, you can also try the following MMORPG they are free to play but kinda old now.

Cabal Online

Ragnarok Online

Tera Online

RF Online

I hope that helps.

4 hours ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

adventure quest worlds is the only MMORPG I could even understand and play. idk why but from WOW to ESO they all have confused me with what to do and stuff. just not my type of game IG but I loved AQworlds as a kid

2 hours ago, sergal33 said:

Warframe is a good MMORPG-like if you are into those too.

No problem. I also got bored playing Tera online after 2 years. I add it because it was recently launched on consoles. I think black desert will be the last mmorpg that I will play haha

I started playing swtor again a couple of months back and it's been a blast. I play it mostly for the story though :D Guess other F2P MMOs that people suggest is Guild Wars 2.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

10 hours ago, Underi said:

I started playing swtor again a couple of months back and it's been a blast. I play it mostly for the story though :D Guess other F2P MMOs that people suggest is Guild Wars 2.

Alright thanks! I take those games into consideration.