Common technology that you've never actually used/owned

light-v

Sometimes I just assume that some technologies are 'normal' with all the hype around them and how common they are

I've never used a hyperthreaded/smt CPU in my desktop and never owned an AIO cooler yet I still feel like I've used both

Edit: also Blu-Ray in any form and stationary consoles (the Switch doesn't count as one to me)

What's yours guys? 

How and why do you feel like you've used them when you know you never have?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well, I have x99 but I've never used sli or quad channel memory

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've never used an SSD in a personal system.

omg really?  You should try it some time, the 21st century is ready and waiting for you to join :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

How and why do you feel like you've used them when you know you never have?

When everyone and their dog have X tech/product I start to think that I'm sort of part of that group as well but in fact I'm not. It's psychological but that's just me I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've never used an SSD in a personal system.

You make me sad :( I never go without SSDs anymore these days.. Hell, my 250$ HTPC with a G4400 has a NVMe SSD in it for boot lol. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

For me, I have never and will never use a smart watch. I feel they are useless and pointless. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I bought an SSD, tried to copy my Windows installation over, and ended up making my hard drive unbootable. Now I just use my hard drive for everything, and it's surprisingly fast for a 5400rpm drive.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

I've never used/owned a stand alone personal assistant (Alexa, Goggle Home, etc).

"Hyper Demon" Build: 

Case: NZXT H440 Hyper Beast.  CPU: AMD R9 3900x (cooled by a KrakeX62).  GPU: AMD XFX RX 6900XT Merc 319 Black.  RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 32GB ram @3600mhz.  Mobo: Asus Crosshair VI hero. PSU: Corsair RM850x.  Boot drive: Samsung 960 evo 500gb nvme ssd.  Game storage: Samsung 860 evo 1TB SATA SSD.  Bulk storage: WD Black 2TB.  

Just now, light-v said:

When everyone and their dog have X tech/product I start to think that I'm sort of part of that group as well but in fact I'm not. It's psychological but that's just me I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone 

That's... interesting.  Well personally, I'm actually struggling to think of something.  I could list any thunderbolt device, water cooling, and an NVMe drive as examples but I'm not sure those are actually all that common.  You have to remember the average person is using a dell or hp prebuilt from 5 years ago xD

I've never used FreeNAS on a thumb drive even though it's pretty much the standard to do so.

I haven't used a form of technology that involves a bunch of applications on an application for a usb in a long time

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You have to remember the average person is using a dell or hp prebuilt from 5 years ago xD

Well you have to keep in mind that you can find i3s which are hyperthreaded in prebuilts and that counts as well xD

14 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I bought an SSD, tried to copy my Windows installation over, and ended up making my hard drive unbootable. Now I just use my hard drive for everything, and it's surprisingly fast for a 5400rpm drive.

The samsung magician software is pretty straight forward and easy to use. Considering you've already bought the SSD why don't you give it another try? Or just do a fresh install and copy your files over if you feel like you can't do it. 5400 rpm drives are never fast, you're probably more patient than most.

I've never used a gaming keyboard, I think they're overrated.

I just want to use my basic Logitech K520, nothing more.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Smart watch, satnav (the one that comes with the car, I do use Google maps though), backup camera (car stuff again), mechanical keyboard (tried a few but never owned one).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have some version of most things, most of the things I like tend to be dated though

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

41 minutes ago, light-v said:

What's yours guys? 

Never used a flat-iron before, it's pretty common among older adults such as my parents though

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

I don't really have one I can mention right away. From all the ones mentioned here I could only agree with smartwatch and All in one watercoolers. But I don't think these are common enough to count.

Well, I have never owned a laptop in my life.. I guess that is fairly common tech. Although I will have to get one soon enough.

Oh and I guess I could say I never used a numpad for its intended use ever. never learned to use it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Those earbuds that are "wireless" or Bluetooth with that wire that goes to each one... God no. 

Those headsets that "business" people use that go in one ear. 

An Iphone. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

An Xbox one. I own a couple for the kids, but I have never played on it. #pcmasterrace.