Call Of Duty Blops 4 will be dropping single player in favour of battle royale (maybe)

Master Disaster

So this is still a rumour however multiple different sites have heard the exact same rumour from multiple different sources, essentially it's all but confirmed.

Activision's huge shooter franchise will be dropping it's SP campaign entirely this time around and instead? What else but battle royale. The reason? Not enough time to get it done due to multiplayer expansion.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 was confirmed in early March, but isn't slated to be fully revealed until May. Today, however, Polygon dropped a big rumor bomb by citing multiple sources who say that the game will ship with no single-player campaign at all, on any platform.

The sources claimed that the campaign was cut because there just wasn't enough going to be enough time to get it done prior to the October 12 release date. Instead, Treyarch is apparently focusing on expanding the multiplayer element, including the Zombies mode and possibly some new co-op modes.   

There may also be a battle royale mode for players to dive into: Shortly after Polygon reported on the no-campaign rumor, Charlie Intel posted a story saying that it had heard the same "no campaign" rumor last month, and that its source also told it that Raven Software had been put to work on a battle royale mode "to fill the content gap."  

If indeed true (and imo it is) then this will be the first time Activision have released a COD without a campaign on the current generation hardware (BLOPS 3 had no campaign on its last gen release).

Dropping the campaign from Black Ops 4 would be a big change, but not entirely unprecedented. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Black Ops 3 shipped without the campaign, and while Activision hasn't revealed how sales on those platforms performed in comparison to current-gen consoles and PC, it's quite possible that it determined the absence had no significant impact. Activision also said in March that it is "keenly aware" of the success that other companies have had with the battle royale genre, and suggested that it was getting ready to take its own shot at it.  

https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-may-have-a-battle-royale-mode-instead-of-a-campaign/

Welcome to the gaming industry where anything that might make them any more money is immediately prioritised over EVERYTHING else. The gaming industry really wants SP to die so they can turn everything into a live service fortnite clone.

I'm glad I'm no longer bothered about playing video games, the entire industry sickens me.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well thats fine by me, i stopped playing after advanced warfare or whatever it was.

Just now, Jbonn386 said:

Do you need the season pass to get the Campaign DLC? :D

Lol, to soon I think :P

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Is single player going to be released as DLC for like an extra $40 or is the price of this game going to be $70 starting off even though it’s just battle royals?

Wow.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Hiitchy said:

Is single player going to be released as DLC for like an extra $40 or is the price of this game going to be $70 starting off even though it’s just battle royals?

Wow.

It's not just Battle Royale, it will still have classic MP, COOP & Zombie mode AFAIK.

Basically if it's a mode where they can sell you extra shit with MTs then it's good.

7 minutes ago, Jbonn386 said:

Do you need the season pass to get the Campaign DLC? :D

I wouldn't be surprised if you needed the season pass to get the battle royale mode. xD

Easy profit for Activision with how everyone is obsessing over battle royale games.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Let me guess... it will have supply drops to make their battle royale mode stand out from the crowd?

I'm calling it right now, battle royale with zombies, fortnite mixed with dayz.

You guys realise that if this works out well for Activision then you can wave goodbye to SP campaigns from the big AAA studios, right?

The popularity of the battle royal genre is undeniable and when was the last time you heard someone say "Buy the new COD - it has an amazing campaign"?

The battle royal genre should also thwart the progress of non-cosmetic microtransactions as there would not be a way to balance the game if a player would be able to start each match with a rocket launcher.

CoD's system of releasing a new game every year is so archaic. They should have released one game and give it constant updates. If they add a battle royale into the game I'll find it tiresome to get a battle royale every year

1 minute ago, RotoCoreOne said:

CoD's system of releasing a new game every year is so archaic. They should have released one game and give it constant updates. If they add a battle royale into the game I'll find it tiresome to get a battle royale every year

Dude, by the time COD releases in October it's possible the BR craze will be over and everyone will be playing something else entirely. October is still a long ways off yet.

This isn't surprising at all. for me cod died with modern warfare, that was the last decent game of the saga before it became repetitive and boring because company decided that "multiplayer is better and nobody plays singleplayer games anymore"

that's how I see it, well I only play singleplayer games and it's a shame they aimed for mp instead of developing new interesting campaigns

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

They should have released one game and give it constant updates.

One could say the same for the Battlefield franchise. Besides, people might get bored of only having the same game with just updates added to it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Dude, by the time COD releases in October it's possible the BR craze will be over

This could just be me, but I don't see Fortnite going away any time soon or at all this year. The newest BR contender, Radical Heights, doesn't have much to compete with against both Fortnite and PUBG.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This could just be me, but I don't see Fortnite going away any time soon or at all this year. The newest BR contender, Radical Heights, doesn't have much to compete with against both Fortnite and PUBG.

Tbh with you, I don't either. It's possible but very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

If indeed true (and imo it is) then this will be the first time Activision have released a COD without a campaign on the current generation hardware (BLOPS 3 had no campaign on its last gen release

The main player base doesn't give AF about the campaign, not do they really seem to care about historically and physically (as in mathematically and scientifically) accurate military events and weapons. Which is ok, I guess...

But, I stopped supporting this franchise a while ago. If they do a Battle Royale, I wouldn't be surprised at all... I mean, Activision already had the lootbox system for increased in game performance, and their recently patented match making algorithm... They'll back on it, that's for sure.... It's a sad day...

After the last campaign, and what they've done with the Zombies storyline in 2 and 3, doesn't even remotely surprise me that they're not trying anymore.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I always though it's just matter of time until they stop with SP cause CoD being so MP focused though. Also BR addition was bound to happen anyway for this game. While not a fan of it I mean it may actually be better than current ones out there who knows.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Welp thats a shame i always got cods for the campaign 

I stopped buying them. It feels like playing a free mobile game where they're just trying to milk you with micro transactions 

That's an F in the profile pic

4 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

The issue with PC versions is lack of technical support.

After 3 months after release, they don't care about cheaters or hackers. I have literally clipped and sent video footage to Activision and communicated with an Activision Ambassador directly and also their support team and they have done nothing. They advise you to just 'Click the report option in-game'. (Which i always do.)

Furthermore, the player base on PC for COD is quite low and the only gamemode i can ever really play is TDM. 

They also don't include the competitive ranked game mode on the PC version of COD and some also don't even have a Search & Destroy game type.

I'm a huge fan of COD, but it is tragic on PC.

Yes me too.