Response to Tailosive Tech's video on Linus's Recent Incident

Message added by WkdPaul

This thread will be monitored and need to stay clean, civil and on-topic.

Non contributing replies can be removed at any time and any Community Standards violations will be met with a warning.

I would like to start off this response with regards to why I'm making this response. I am writing this response to both vent out some anger I got from watching the video and to also get through Tailosive's perceived bias for Apple. Whether or not he actually realizes this, no company is perfect. Apple is certainly no exception. Even with Steve Jobs, he had the questionable work ethics, controversy regarding his denial of his biological child, and plagiarizing the competition essentially. Not to put any of his great work down, but there are always going to be negative aspects of a company.

Anyways, to address the beginning sketch, it's a complete strawman to those who support Right to Repair. He seems to have this point of view that all these supporters want is free devices, despite purposefully breaking said device. This doesn't not represent what the movement is about at all, and this mindset continues on with his response. And while, sure, the joke about LTT having to many ad reads was that, a joke, it was still a pointless endeavor that has nothing to do with his point, but rather his dislike for LinusTechTips.

Now, onto his main points. Skipping over his admission to having a neutral taste for LinusTechTips, which does reveal his Apple bias further, and his long, unneeded tangent about the SFX used within the introduction of the video. While I can agree that Taran, or whoever edited the video, should have had spent a few minutes on motion tracking the SFX, the whole argument was not needed to support his thesis that Apple has the right to not distribute documentation nor replacement parts, thus being anti-Right to Repair by association, we can discuss his first point, being that Apple has the right to not repair an "out-of-warranty" device, and that the video's message is mixed.

First, the FTC had declared warranty guidelines with regards to fixing and/or modding your device to be illegal(1). So, on a legal stance, Apple has to take into consideration all the devices that come in for repairs. And that's what they did with Linus's iMac Pro, sort of, as he explains within his video. Second, Linus's points throughout the video are very much consistent with his thesis of how companies need to provide documentation of how to repair the device, and replacement parts as well.

Next, he argues that iMac Pros were never meant to be disassembled by the home user, as Apple's concept with the iMac line is to have a plug 'n play style for this series of products. This argument is not only ignorant of the current state of technology, but very much gives the perception of the home user being nothing but complete tech-illiterate individuals. As many people have addressed, including Louis Rossmann, Apple are making their devices much harder to repair through the means of soldering components to the logic board, making the components non-user replaceable. While I can see through Apple's perception of making devices more convenient to transport, would it be worth the cost of repairability being crippled along with creating a slippery slope of corporations having complete control over the user? While I do realize that Right to Repair is a more pro-larger government-centric bill, there needs to be some government intervention in places where it is a must, both for either the safety of the consumer (FDA) or maintaining fair competition. And regarding consumer perception, are you, Tailosive, trying to claim that someone doesn't have the cognitive ability to take out two screws, use little force to pull the screen away, detaching a few connectors like Lego, and do the reverse? While I can understand people may not have the time to understand complex electronic and computer theory, most of the US population knows basic home appliance repair and has interacted with Lego in the past.

I'm pretty much tired now, so in short, go watch Louis's video on an anti-Right to Repair article here: 

I may finish this response, but we'll see...

(1) - http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-warranty-void-20180411-story.html

Don't have Apple, don't care.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

AIO designs are for those who look at systems as works of art, not units to be worked on/within.

This is the opinion of the manufacturers, not the end user. That apple will not repair it is nothing new. I dealt with this in the 90s when I had a hospital that ran a very rare (and breathtakingly expensive) medial instrument that ran on an old (ancient at the time) 86k Mac.

It died, and the hospital was willing to write a *blank* check (in other words, no expense spared) to anyone in the apple repair field, who would fix it.

Apple threatened to pull the authorized license for anyone who worked with us on this. They wanted the hospital to buy a (then new and shiny) g5 instead. Which didn't work with the instrument, and so forth.

So this sort of dick move isn't surprising from Apple. Its why I refuse to deal with anything Apple.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

You might not have one, but you should care about this. If apple gets away with treating people like this, it can embolden other PC makers to pull the same stunt, and that might one day affect you....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I doubt Linus cares much what someone on a channel 60x smaller than his says about his video ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

So many of the comments on that video are his fans saying Linus broke it on purpose to have this very situation play out (I guess he's also a fortune teller now, since he can see into the future!). And that he should have paid for AppleCare (which they say is half the price of the actual item + some sort of excess like your car insurance has?...I don't know if this is true as I've never bought anything Apple).

These Apple fanboys are so deluded into thinking Apple is always right, its beyond comprehension.

IMHO, Linus was spot on with the "crash your car after buying it and being told it can't be repaired" metaphor. The Apple fanboys essentially are saying you crash your car and need say...your windscreen needed replacing. So let's swap Apple for BMW in this situation. In theory (according to the Apple "Geniuses") they won't send the windscreen to your local BMW dealer...and they won't allow your local independent garage to buy the parts...and if anyone offers to fix the windscreen for you...they will revoke their "approved BMW mechanic" status.

Your only recourse, is to effectively pay for an entirely brand new car or to tell your insurer that they need to buy you a new car because the windscreen is broken...but that won't help...because your insurer is also BMW...and they probably won't honor that either.

Imagine if that was allowed in the car industry. Absolutely mental.

Sidenote: No ill-will toward BMW here (EDIT: For my sins I actually drive a BMW and am very happy with it...not had any reason to test their customer service yet)...just an example of how it wouldn't be allowed in other industries.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

15 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

So many of the comments on that video are his fans saying Linus broke it on purpose to have this very situation play out

And honestly, what if he did? Does that even matter? Even if he broke it for the lols, if he was willing to pay for the repair there's no reason he shouldn't be able to get it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

And honestly, what if he did? Does that even matter? Even if he broke it for the lols, if he was willing to pay for the repair there's no reason he shouldn't be able to get it.

Exactly. Back to my BMW swap-analogy, imagine calling up BMW and saying you wanted to pay in full for the cost of the windscreen and shipping etc and you'll even get someone else to fit it and them saying no? Just wouldn't happen. 

Also, if the whole thing about it not being fully supported yet is actually the true reason for Apple being so disjointed in their responses, most companies would straight up send you a replacement no questions asked anyway. My personal experience of this was through EVGA.

I had a GTX 560Ti which the fan broke on, and it was EDIT: 4 years old!. I emailed EVGA asking if I could buy a new fan from them and I'd fix it myself. They sent me an email back with an RMA address and said to just send the card in and they'd either fix it for me (the person didn't know if they still had 560Ti's in stock) or they'd just send out a newer model as an apology for the fan dying and even pay my shipping! Now THAT is customer service.

Just another case of Apple being complete douchebag thinking they can ride roughshod over their customers.

I hope Linus (and the other big tech reviewers) don't bother buying Apple products again to review.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

54 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You might not have one, but you should care about this. If apple gets away with treating people like this, it can embolden other PC makers to pull the same stunt, and that might one day affect you....

Not really because that is the differential to those who don't like Apple in the first place,  the market adapts itself into demand.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not really because that is the differential to those who don't like Apple in the first place,  the market adapts itself into demand.

Are you going to give up on computers if all manufacturers do this?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Are you going to give up on computers if all manufacturers do this?

That's what I said, not all manufactures will do such thing because there will always be an expressive market share to be gained by diversifying the business practices.

Apple is a big deal and indeed a hell lot of people desire their products, but the amount of people that dislike these practices and will support other more open brands is of equal if not higher proportions.

The Market can sustain itself simply by demand, not buying Apple while buying from those who do more what I agree with is all I have to do to actually support what I consider good practices rather than keep moaning about it in a forum ;)

Personal Desktop":

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That's what I said, not all manufactures will do such thing because there will always be an expressive market share to be gained by diversifying the business practices.

Maybe not enough compared to the money they gain by forcing you to buy a new product every time a small part breaks. If Apple gets away with it for long enough others will inevitably copy them and if enough companies do it eventually you'll have no choice.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So, in other words, the video above is making the argument that Apple has the right to deny repair since Linus modified the device outside of warranted means? Last I checked, that simply meant that your AppleCare/Warranty no longer applied - which means that Apple should have simply charged full price to repair the iMac Pro. But, instead, the video above is stating that Apple also holds the right to deny any and all repair service in addition to voiding warranty/AppleCare. If this is the way things are going (no longer accepting paid repairs), it's a good thing I gave away my only iMac ;) 

54 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Unless it makes financial sense NOT to do that. How many manufacturers have copied what Apple has done in the past? This is a dangerous game Apple is playing and if HP decides makes them more money to screw over their users, then they will.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Is this guy for real, I mean...words fail me. 

This guy is openly supporting a scam. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Looks like the downvote train is coming in. :)

Oh well, guess you gotta make your name somehow. Might as well be shooting your foot trying to "son" a proper tech tuber. 

I made the mistake of watching the video and reading the comments... Now I feel like I need to kill someone to calm my rage,,,

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

9 hours ago, ElZamo92 said:

I made the mistake of watching the video and reading the comments... Now I feel like I need to kill someone to calm my rage,,,

I couldn't make it through the entire video. The guy is a f***in tool.

Apple "fanboys" will never accept that their beloved company can do any wrong. Apple could literally demand a blood sacrifice to purchase a new Apple product and most of them would do it without batting an eyelid.

I am going to be the middle man here and cut throw most of the poop. Okay reading a lot of news articles on this apple Pc. Apple should have told LTT that was to expensive to repair and offer them discount on a new one witch probably would have soften the blow on both sides. short story 

The reason I say this I am quote ting the article in my own words Is it seams there was a lot more damaged then the LTT video had show..

Quote from the article  Linus Tech Tips also admit that the logic board and power supply unit needed replacing as well, which suggests the repair process could be pretty complex and pricey. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/youtube-channel-claims-apple-is-refusing-to-fix-its-broken-imac-pro

8 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

I am going to be the middle man here and cut throw most of the poop. Okay reading a lot of news articles on this apple Pc. Apple should have told LTT that was to expensive to repair and offer them discount on a new one witch probably would have soften the blow on both sides. short story 

The reason I say this I am quote ting the article in my own words Is it seams there was a lot more damaged then the LTT video had show..

Quote from the article  Linus Tech Tips also admit that the logic board and power supply unit needed replacing as well, which suggests the repair process could be pretty complex and pricey. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/youtube-channel-claims-apple-is-refusing-to-fix-its-broken-imac-pro

yes but LTT never denied that, they did say they needed a screen+board+PSU, and that they wanted to pay the full price for the parts.

It doesn't change the facts. They were willing to PAY the 100% price of the parts & fixing. Whatever the cost. Sure, if it had ended up being 5000$ which is the price of the maccrap, ok, cheaper to buy a new one. But here they were just denied fixing it, at all, and not even 3rd parties, official or not, could fix it, as nobody had the parts. That's the main point from the video: that apple is selling you a product that you can't fix yet, as there's no way of getting the parts needed.

23 minutes ago, The Viking said:

yes but LTT never denied that, they did say they needed a screen+board+PSU, and that they wanted to pay the full price for the parts.

It doesn't change the facts. They were willing to PAY the 100% price of the parts & fixing. Whatever the cost. Sure, if it had ended up being 5000$ which is the price of the maccrap, ok, cheaper to buy a new one. But here they were just denied fixing it, at all, and not even 3rd parties, official or not, could fix it, as nobody had the parts. That's the main point from the video: that apple is selling you a product that you can't fix yet, as there's no way of getting the parts needed.

I can under stand why apple said no to the repair because they probably have a lot a there repairs to do witch have quick turn around time. Instead of spending a lot of time one pc. We see what apple has to say soon I hope before every one loses there minds on this.   

On 4/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, Princess Cadence said:

You should. This can easily become pandemic. There are companies that will try the least amount of work they can to avoid repairs. This can cost jobs for technicians and small repair shops (which Brazil and most of South America relies most heavily on). Having to not support or repair a device and denying a repair ticket to a paying consumer is wrong, no matter how you spin it. Automotive companies have to support their products for ten years with parts, many of which are interchangeable among other vehicles (95-99 Celicas using 94-00 Camry components among other examples) meaning that if a consumer or mechanic needs something, he can get it affordably. Making tech unserviceable (when it’s something as large as the iMac Pro) is anti-consumer. There are plenty of AIO’s that are upgradable even with GPU’s, this should be no exception. Disks fail and RAM can be added; why are we avoiding simple, routine upgrades and blocking consumers from taking that route? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers