Windows 10 version 1803 held up because of BSOD

Jito463

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/17/waiting_for_windows_10/

It seems that the release-halting bug in the latest Windows 10 update (commonly referred to as the Spring Creators Update) has a high chance of causing BSOD's.

Supremo of the Windows Insider programme, Dona Sarkar, dropped a hint last night as to what might have occurred with the release of build 17134 to the brave soldiers on the Fast ring.

"As Build 17133 progressed through the rings, we discovered some reliability issues we wanted to fix. In certain cases, these reliability issues could have led to a higher percentage of (BSOD) on PCs for example," said Sarkar in the post.

Apparently there was some speculation about KB 4100375, but that doesn't seem to be the cause.

The team at Microsoft has elected to add the fixes in KB4100375 to build 17134.  This includes a patch for PDF security in Edge and the inevitable raft of miscellaneous security updates for the rest of the OS.

KB4100375 had been included in the last update for build 17133, indicating that whatever was the cause of the problem lay elsewhere.

Personally, I'm going to be waiting a few weeks (or more) before upgrading to this new build once it's released.  Just in case their crack team of amateur bug-hunters don't catch it, since MS can't be bothered to have a real QA team.

I can see it now on BBC news at 10 - Newsflash: Bug reporting program finds bug, delays mass release of software.

I'm far happier that they are being conservative with the release because they thought it might cause BSOD problems than if they had just gone ahead with it regardless. This is literally the point of the insider preview program.

Since Microsoft plans to name it as "Spring Creators Update", are they going to name it "Fall Creators Update" once again if they fail to iron out BSOD-causing bugs in time and release it on September instead?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I actually tried using the update early about a week ago and it had some mysterious bug where DirectX games such as Radical Heights (and League of Legends, but only for a few seconds) would stay permanently stuck on a black screen and not allow you to CAD/Force Quit at all. Hopefully they're fixing that as well. 

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Technically, water isn't wet, it just makes any interacting object wet. :P

• If a surface is covered by pure ethanol it would be wet.
  • If a surface is covered by water it would be wet.
  • If a surface is covered by non dry paint, it would be wet.
  • If a surface is covered by fresh ink it would be wet.

Hence an object covered by a liquid could be described as wet. From this we can predict that a volume of water 'covered' by more water is wet. Hence water is wet.

At least they did not roll out another major update with a bunch of bugs. It is worrying that smaller companies such as Canonical, the makers of Ubuntu, and Mozilla can manage high frequency release schedules while Microsoft, a much larger company, cannot.

They halt a release because of a found bug -> screw MS for their lack of QC? Someone explain me this I don't understand that implication at all!

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Since Microsoft plans to name it as "Spring Creators Update", are they going to name it "Fall Creators Update" once again if they fail to iron out BSOD-causing bugs in time and release it on September instead?

It's not called the Spring Creators Update, they actually, for some reason, have not publicly disclosed the name of the update. SCU was found on internal documents but they were outdated, it's believed it'll be called 1803 now

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It'd be nice if Microsoft just slowed down on these updates and focused on simply improving what's there already.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Princess Cadence But, that wouldn't fit with the new Windows-as-a-Service model that Microsoft is pushing us into ;) 

It still does, they just don't have to compete with Apple to see who updates OS's more frequently :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

It still does, they just don't have to compete with Apple to see who updates OS's more frequently :P

Next we will hear Microsoft bricking Ram because why not

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

5 hours ago, Canada EH said:

More problems with Windows 10, what is Bill doing?

Trying to solve world hunger and enjoying his billions.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Jito463 Your title is incorrect and misleading. Please fix it.

Either "Version 1803" or "Build 17133" would be fine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Jito463 Your title is incorrect and misleading. Please fix it.

Either "Version 1803" or "Build 17133" would be fine.

LOL @AluminiumTech complaining about incorrect and missleading titles, that's fkin hilarious.

But seriously, why are there like 4 Topics on a bug in a windows 10 update, that did not affect ANYONE at all?

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

FYI there's already a new build in the RC channel that supposedly fixed the bug, so expect the rollout to still start later this month.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

They halt a release because of a found bug -> screw MS for their lack of QC? Someone explain me this I don't understand that implication at all!

I don't think anyone is upset because they delayed release.  My issue is that they're too reliant on end-users testing their product, rather than testing it more thoroughly themselves.

"A higher percentage of (BSOD)"

The underlying message here is that Microsoft considers there is a percentage for them that's actually acceptable in the case of automatic updates.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Jito463 said:

I don't think anyone is upset because they delayed release.  My issue is that they're too reliant on end-users testing their product, rather than testing it more thoroughly themselves.

I think the inherent issue of Windows versus mac is that simply there is no way you'll test your OS on every hardware possible. So you kinda have to go the Linux way and push betas to hunt for bugs. Issue then is that I suspect there are some legacy badly written part of the OS still remaining in Windows that forces them to workaround those (instead of just deleting them). That pruning job should alleviate more hardware specific bugs, as the clearest and most coherent it is, the easier you'll find reproducible bugs.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

"A higher percentage of (BSOD)"

The underlying message here is that Microsoft considers there is a percentage for them that's actually acceptable in the case of automatic updates.

I think they meant after the update

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

I think they meant after the update

So did I: if it's not an opt-in update or a security update, if it's just incremental features 0% should be the only acceptable percent: we're paying customers, not fucking guinea pigs.

-------

Current Rig

-------