iPhone X grabs 35% of industry profits in Q4 2017

1 minute ago, wasab said:

Android fits the needs of causal users and tech savvy power users alike.

ios can only appeal to the former.

Classic 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Classic 

But very true

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I don’t get the “Android is for power users and casuals alike” argument. The only compelling reasons to get an Android phone are: 

- if you want to customize...customize...customize. Which just doesn’t make any practical sense because you’re always using an app anyway. Whether it’s just texting, chrome or YouTube. You don’t spend any time inside the operating system or think about it. Everyone just wants a discrete operating system that lets you use your apps immediately. 

- if you want to side load apps so that you can use an emulator or any other app that’s kinda illegal for some reason

- if you want to install custom ROMs

Actually, I would argue that iPhones suit power users better than Android because of better hardware optimization and simply because some apps just run better on iOS. Snapchat is just one example. I am going with iPhones from now on because of long term update support. These are the reasons why I think that everyone would be better suited with an iPhone, unless they want to side load “illegal” apps. 

1 minute ago, kokakolia said:

- if you want to customize...customize...customize. Which just doesn’t make any practical sense because you’re always using an app anyway. Whether it’s just texting, chrome or YouTube. You don’t spend any time inside the operating system or think about it. Everyone just wants a discrete operating system that lets you use your apps immediately. 

I vehemently disagree, you interact with the OS a lot more than you realize, and it feeling right is very important. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I vehemently disagree, you interact with the OS a lot more than you realize, and it feeling right is very important. 

ehhh, its always there, but it takes the back seat most of the time you are interacting with your phone. 

The OS really is only there to facilitate your work. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It's a lot to do with preference.

Some of us want our phones to stand out and feel exactly like home. Like putting apps in specific locations or having a clean homescreen that shows off your wallpaper, or filling it up with widgets for at-a-glance information. It's also not that uncommon for people to have a specific arrangement on their iPhone homescreens based on their preference.

Is it for everyone? Heck no. There are people out there who are the "set it once and forget it" type and that's fine. It's about preference. I change the look of my phone's OS on a monthly basis. Is it practical? No, but it keeps it feeling fresh for me.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I would argue that iPhones suit power users better than Android because of better hardware optimization and simply because some apps just run better on iOS.

Power users pick iOS devices only if they just want the device to work. We're at the point that optimization differences between Android and iOS doesn't really affect the user experience, the return on that optimization has diminished.

The only compelling reasons to get an Android phone

You forgot that mid end devices come in at half the price as the iPX or Galaxy S9, but typically lack on niche (often useless) features and performance increases make little difference outside of demanding games, benchmarks, and tinkerers hypersensitive to the impact of their tinkering.

if you want to customize...customize...customize. Which just doesn’t make any practical sense because you’re always using an app anyway. Whether it’s just texting, chrome or YouTube. You don’t spend any time inside the operating system or think about it. Everyone just wants a discrete operating system that lets you use your apps immediately. 

Some of those customizations can increase the speed of moving from app to app. For me, Microsoft's launcher is far better than stock Android, TouchWiz, and iOS's (shitty) homescreen just for the simple fact that its app drawer automatically lists apps in alphabetical order.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

TL:DR

lots of people accusing all apple owners of being fan boy sheep, whilst fan boying over there own phone. some more people who "dont see the point of spending that much on a phone when you can get one that works for a 1/3 of the price" typing at there £2k+ computer when laptops come in at £300. and more people who secretly want an iphone, cant afford it, so hate on it out of jealousy.

typical apple thread then

on topic, companies are there to make money, if you think otherwise your an idiot. if a company can sell a product successfully at a price then its not overpriced by definition.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

TL:DR

lots of people accusing all apple owners of being fan boy sheep, whilst fan boying over there own phone. some more people who "dont see the point of spending that much on a phone when you can get one that works for a 1/3 of the price" typing at there £2k+ computer when laptops come in at £300. and more people who secretly want an iphone, cant afford it, so hate on it out of jealousy.

typical apple thread then

on topic, companies are there to make money, if you think otherwise your an idiot. if a company can sell a product successfully at a price then its not overpriced by definition.

I'm always slightly amused at the Android fans who accuse iPhone users of being 'sheep' while rushing to embrace the majority platform, and probably from a large brand like Google or Samsung.  It's like arguing that real indie music fans only listen to Top 40 pop.  I want to ask them to use a Sailfish phone and then get back to me on being a technology rebel.

And yes, it's always funny how people are shocked, shocked that the most successful tech company on the planet has significant profit margins.  Not to excuse any and all profit margins, but many Android OEMs with the "right" margins are either losing money or would post a loss if they so much as sneezed the wrong way.