HP Z220 build up for emulation.

Hi just built up a HP Z220. I have OE PSU, Mobo. I installed 12GB 1600MHZ Memory, also a I7-3770 CPU. It works fine with Dolphin on just the CPU. I have a MSI 1050TI LP on the way for it. 

Intel I7-3770 running 3.4 GHZ 3.9 GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache 1 MB L2 128 KB L1 Data and 128 KB Inst. L1 8 way Data L1 8 Way Inst. , L2 8 Way, L3 16 way

12 GB 1600MHz Memory across 4 slots. Channel 1 DIMM1 4 GB DIMM 2 2 GB DIMM 3 4 GB DIMM 4 2 GB

Original Motherboard

Original PSU 240 watt 77 watt CPU, I think 77 watts for card = 144 watts, still has head room.

Installing a 1050ti MSI LP 1050ti 4 GB

1 TB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 Hard drive because I have it.

Windows 10 Pro Clean with Emulators and Updates installed. Used Key on case to Activate.

There are a couple things.

I wonder if the PSU is enough for the card and CPU. CPU using Package using around 5 to 6 watts at idle with just hardware monitor running and around 35 to 50 under load (normal no GPU). More like 26.22 watts with Dolphin running Super Mario Kart Double Dash. My Gestamet is Generous.  I wonder if I need to change the Passive CPU cooler. It gets upto 62c. Doesn't seem too hot. Wonder were the CPU Throttles. It hit 53 while I was loop Mario Kart in Dolphin. And 32 watts on package. I have the emulator on Auto (Window Size), no Ant-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering to X1. This is just the CPU running. No GPU installed at this time. Can't get proper Open GL support with no card. Emulator i running DX11.

This seems to be a FX killer. It's doing allot for Intel 4000 graphics. It is stable most of the time with some drops in frames. I know 1050ti GPU can perform. I am waiting for the card to arrive.

I wonder if I should use a Low Profile CPU Cooler with it connected with a Y PWM connector to the Chassis Header for cooling. I have Noctua NH-L91 in mind. I don't know if that is necessary.

PSU is proprietary. Needs more research. They do make a adapter for a 24 pin to HP's 3 motherboard connectors. SFX PSU?

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

12 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Hi just built up a HP Z220. I have OE PSU, Mobo. I installed 12GB 1600MHZ Memory, also a I7-3770 CPU. It works fine with Dolphin on just the CPU. I have a MSI 1050TI LP on the way for it. 

Intel I7-3770 running 3.4 GHZ 3.9 GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache 1 MB L2 128 KB L1 Data and 128 KB Inst. L1 8 way Data L1 8 Way Inst. , L2 8 Way, L3 16 way

12 GB 1600MHz Memory across 4 slots. Channel 1 DIMM1 4 GB DIMM 2 2 GB DIMM 3 4 GB DIMM 4 2 GB

Original Motherboard

Original PSU 240 watt 77 watt CPU, I think 77 watts for card = 144 watts, still has head room.

Installing a 1050ti MSI LP 1050ti 4 GB

1 TB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 Hard drive because I have it.

Windows 10 Pro Clean with Emulators and Updates installed. Used Key on case to Activate.

There are a couple things.

I wonder if the PSU is enough for the card and CPU. CPU using Package using around 5 to 6 watts at idle with just hardware monitor running and around 35 to 50 under load (normal no GPU). More like 26.22 watts with Dolphin running Super Mario Kart Double Dash. My Gestamet is Generous.  I wonder if I need to change the Passive CPU cooler. It gets upto 62c. Doesn't seem too hot. Wonder were the CPU Throttles. It hit 53 while I was loop Mario Kart in Dolphin. And 32 watts on package. I have the emulator on Auto (Window Size), no Ant-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering to X1. This is just the CPU running. No GPU installed at this time. Can't get proper Open GL support with no card. Emulator i running DX11.

This seems to be a FX killer. It's doing allot for Intel 4000 graphics. It is stable most of the time with some drops in frames. I know 1050ti GPU can perform. I am waiting for the card to arrive.

I wonder if I should use a Low Profile CPU Cooler with it connected with a Y PWM connector to the Chassis Header for cooling. I have Noctua NH-L91 in mind. I don't know if that is necessary.

PSU is proprietary. Needs more research. They do make a adapter for a 24 pin to HP's 3 motherboard connectors. SFX PSU?

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

If your computer's power draw is anything like the 8200 elite sff, with a 2500, you should be fine.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If your computer's power draw is anything like the 8200 elite sff, with a 2500, you should be fine.

Yeah you should be fine, just don't fill up all 10 of your USB ports while while burning DVDs, Crypto mining and downloading all of them games.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I think it's almost the same, except for CPU. CPU has 77 watt TDP. 2500 has a 95 watt TDP, I assume that the 2500 uses more power than the 3770 for some reason. I guess I have the tock instead of the tick. Ivey Bridge not Sandy Bridge. No crypto, don't want to kill it. One thing that I like is all those USBs. I am basing powers consumption on TDP + card draw. 

Installed a MSI LP 1050 ti. Also have 16GB Memory in it.

Supporting 4k 60HZ. 60 FPS seems ok in emulation. 

Also power draw does not seem like much. CPU seems to draw less because of GPU.

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Also installed a card reader. Oh, and Pioneer Blu-Ray Drive. It worked predictively with Cyberlink 2013 playback software for Blu-Ray disks. Youtube looks better than my R290x, because of 60Hz refresh. Dolphin was running 4k 60p just fine with Super Mario Kart Wii. 

IMG_0254.JPG

It is geared for 60FPS 1080p, was not expecting it to support 4k 60p. It did.

Pretty nice build. Using the 8200 Elite in similar config. My 2500 draws 60-65W if there's dedicated graphics. My PSU is Gold rated so it should be fine. (using it for nearly a year now)

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

Working on port box for it. My Initial mistake on this was building ports in to the PC. Now, I can just plug in 2 USB's with a Hub. It support original GC, NES, SNES, Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis/Master System and anything else with DB9.

Oh, currently running i7-3770, 16 GB @ 1333MHz (can run 1600 but dumbed down from Corsair sticks that require XMP), MSI 1050ti 4GB LP, Pioneer Blu-Ray drive with Cyberlink 13, cheap Card reader that works. Also the port box I'm working on. N64 and PS1 PS2 I have USB controllers.

Dolphin runs great. Don't have ps1 & 2 Emulators installed.

IMG_0256.JPG

Sorry for my crappy cam shot. forgot the flash. Not the nicest looking thing, but it works fine. It's also solid. I just cut holes in the 1/4" thick extruded aluminum and hot glued the ports in from both sides. I just need wood for the sides and trim. All of the ports are working with a 11 dollar USB hub for the Nintendo ports, and the DB9 is pluggd in to the second usb on the back of the computer. I need some 4 GB Samsung 1600MHz sticks to make the memory run at 1600MHz. BIOS doesn't do XMP. 

IMG_0259.JPG