X470 Motherboards

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
1 minute ago, HayHay said:

In this case, both boards are the same price so that's why I choose these two xD
These are the cheapest X470 motherboards (apart from an ASRock X470 Master SLI that I can't find anywhere).

I personally prefer Gigabyte boards to MSI, but honestly either one would work pretty much equally well.

I know that the X470 Motherboards have not launched yet, but so far, has MSI or Gigabyte been a better option for AM4 motherboards? I'm trying to decide between the "X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming" and the "MSI X470 Gaming Plus."
Which would you choose based on feature set (which to my eye looks practically the same)/which has better reliability so far with the Ryzen lineup?

Aorus motherboards are usually more expensive, but if that doesn't matter, it has more features and cooler RGB

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

Aorus motherboards are usually more expensive, but if that doesn't matter, it has more features and cooler RGB

In this case, both boards are the same price so that's why I choose these two xD
These are the cheapest X470 motherboards (apart from an ASRock X470 Master SLI that I can't find anywhere).

I personally prefer Gigabyte boards to MSI, but honestly either one would work pretty much equally well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Doesn't Gigabyte also have dual bios in just about every modern mobo they make? Or is that some other company? 

Gigabyte over MSI in my opinion.  Asus beats them both in the bios category.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Doesn't Gigabyte also have dual bios in just about every modern mobo they make? Or is that some other company? 

That's Gigabyte. A feature I really like their boards for, it's sad not many companies do that.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's Gigabyte. A feature I really like their boards for, it's sad not many companies do that.

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

Gigabyte over MSI in my opinion.  Asus beats them both in the bios category.

10 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Well then I guess, based on what you all have said, I'm gonna go with the X470 Aorus. Thanks, guys! About to preorder Ryzen 2600 and the motherboard in the next day-ish. 

Well then I guess, based on what you all have said, I'm gonna go with the X470 Aorus. Thanks, guys! About to preorder Ryzen 2600 and the motherboard in the next day-ish. 

Congrats! I have the 1600 currently, and I really like it. From the rumors I hear about Ryzen 2, the 2600 should be even better.

Just now, HayHay said:

Good for you brother.  I hope you have considered all options out there and did not just get caught on the Ryzen hype train.  Ryzen definitely has usage cases it is the best option for.  I also know quite a few people who were not happy with thier choice.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Good for you brother.  I hope you have considered all options out there and did not just get caught on the Ryzen hype train.  Ryzen definitely has usage cases it is the best option for.  I also know quite a few people who were not happy with thier choice.

Switching over from a dual core craptop with iGPU, a 7200 RPM HDD and 8 gigs of DDR3, I think I'd be pretty happy with the performance either way xD
I plan to do a bit of streaming, video and photo editing as well as light (but not much) gaming so I feel like Ryzen will be better over the slightly more game focused options from Intel! 

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Congrats! I have the 1600 currently, and I really like it. From the rumors I hear about Ryzen 2, the 2600 should be even better.

I heard someone used Liquid Nitrogen to cool a 2600X and 2700X and got about 5.9 Ghz. That's super impressive considering Ryzen 1 lineup can barely hit the 4.3-ish ghz mark with water cooling! I doubt it'd be a lot better with Liquid Nitrogen though haha.

I'd go with Gigabyte over MSI just based off of my experiences with customer support and the RMA process if the prices are similar.

Switching over from a dual core craptop with iGPU, a 7200 RPM HDD and 8 gigs of DDR3, I think I'd be pretty happy with the performance either way xD
I plan to do a bit of streaming, video and photo editing as well as light (but not much) gaming so I feel like Ryzen will be better over the slightly more game focused options from Intel! 

You should look up benchmarks for the specific tasks you will be doing.  You may be surprised.  Most of the stuff you mentioned favors single thread performance....unless you plan on doing them all at once.

Do not expect the 2600x or 2700x to go higher than 4.3GHz-ish with conventional/water cooling.

You should look up benchmarks for the specific tasks you will be doing.  You may be surprised.  Most of the stuff you mentioned favors single thread performance....unless you plan on doing them all at once.

Do not expect the 2600x or 2700x to go higher than 4.3GHz-ish with conventional/water cooling.

Ah yeah I might not have written it clearly at first, those were my old specs xD
Now I'm going to use 16 gigs of 3000mhz DDR4, and a WD Black NVMe M.2 along with an RX 550 or something less expensive till GPU prices fall and I can snag a 1050Ti/1060 for a better price! 

Also, the 2600X boosts to 4.2Ghz I believe. It'll be able to handle at least 4.5Ghz overclocked with water cooling (probably).

41 minutes ago, HayHay said:

Also, the 2600X boosts to 4.2Ghz I believe. It'll be able to handle at least 4.5Ghz overclocked with water cooling (probably).

Nah...not on all cores.  Atleast not from what I have seen.

4.2GHz advertised is for one core at a time.

1 hour ago, HayHay said:

Ah yeah I might not have written it clearly at first, those were my old specs xD
Now I'm going to use 16 gigs of 3000mhz DDR4, and a WD Black NVMe M.2 along with an RX 550 or something less expensive till GPU prices fall and I can snag a 1050Ti/1060 for a better price! 

Take it from an AMD supporter. The 2600, or 2600X you buy will not hit 4.5Ghz. There is a leak that it took 1.679v to hit 4.5Ghz. They did that on a custom loop, but it obviously is too high for 24/7 unless you want to go through a chip a month. The average samples are 1.35v+ for 4.2, and 1.46v for 4.3. It could be worse for the 2600 as the non-x parts are binned lower. AMD has gotten very good at binning over the years all the way back to the Phenom 9500 (My first AMD CPU).

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

Nah...not on all cores.  Atleast not from what I have seen.

4.2GHz advertised is for one core at a time.

I know :P 

1 hour ago, Shiftstealth said:

Take it from an AMD supporter. The 2600, or 2600X you buy will not hit 4.5Ghz. There is a leak that it took 1.679v to hit 4.5Ghz. They did that on a custom loop, but it obviously is too high for 24/7 unless you want to go through a chip a month. The average samples are 1.35v+ for 4.2, and 1.46v for 4.3. It could be worse for the 2600 as the non-x parts are binned lower. AMD has gotten very good at binning over the years all the way back to the Phenom 9500 (My first AMD CPU).

I'll probably just overclock the 2600 to 4.0Ghz on all cores tbh... It won't be as taxing and with a decent enough cooler it should be fine! But I will keep a look out on temperatures to see if I should go higher or lower... Idk, maybe I should go for the older 1600 instead with a B350 mobo/x370?

45 minutes ago, HayHay said:

I know :P 

I'll probably just overclock the 2600 to 4.0Ghz on all cores tbh... It won't be as taxing and with a decent enough cooler it should be fine! But I will keep a look out on temperatures to see if I should go higher or lower... Idk, maybe I should go for the older 1600 instead with a B350 mobo/x370?

I would still go 2600 as it is basically guaranteed to hit 4.0Ghz, where the 1600 would not. Plus RAM compatibility should be a lot better. But as i said though, it won't be hitting 4.5Ghz.

Main PC: i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz | Corsair H110i V2 |  ASUS Prime Z370-A  | Corsair Carbide 540 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 | 16GB G.Skill Flare X @ 3200Mhz | 500GB Samsung 960 Evo | Seasonic Prime Ultra 650W | Dell S2417DG

1 minute ago, Shiftstealth said:

I would still go 2600 as it is basically guaranteed to hit 4.0Ghz, where the 1600 would not. Plus RAM compatibility should be a lot better. But as i said though, it won't be hitting 4.5Ghz.

I won't need 4.5 Ghz tbh anyways... I'm switching from a dual core laptop with a turbo of 2.6Ghz... Anything even slightly faster than this will be considered amazing tbh xD

If your budget can swing a 8700k.  It will perform much better for your usage cases.

If your budget can swing a 8700k.  It will perform much better for your usage cases.

Nah, I already have to cut back on gpu by quite a bit because all of my parts are about 830$ ish... Tryint not to go higher tbh. I had to switch from semi modular to modular psu as well. I forgot X470 mobo's are pretty expensive xD

I'll get better GPU's when prices decrease though. 

17 minutes ago, HayHay said:

Nah, I already have to cut back on gpu by quite a bit because all of my parts are about 830$ ish... Tryint not to go higher tbh. I had to switch from semi modular to modular psu as well. I forgot X470 mobo's are pretty expensive xD

I'll get better GPU's when prices decrease though. 

You're going to love your 2600.  Have fun with it.