Pls help me with selecting a laptop

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Dijkstra said:

NEVER buy Razer laptops. Terrible quality and QC. Also terrible customer support. Don't just look at specs when buying laptops.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

NEVER buy Razer laptops. Terrible quality and QC. Also terrible customer support. Don't just look at specs when buying laptops.

O lol i thought the build quality of razer products was really good bcs of its price. But thanks for letting me know :D

But what laptop should I buy then? Because I don't really know what other laptop has a good build quality and has a thin design

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Dijkstra said:

But what laptop should I buy then? Because I don't really know what other laptop has a good build quality and has a thin design

Could you list out again what are your requirements and what's your budget? Just to confirm

Edit: Consider these options, sorted from best to good:

With KBL-R CPU and 25W MX150:

-HP Spectre x360 15 - 2 in 1

-HP Envy 17 - if you don't mind the big footprint and need DVD drive

With KBL-R CPU and LP MX150:

-Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14

-HP Envy 13 - be aware of mediocre cooling, needs tweaking (undervolting for instance)

-Asus UX331UN - be aware of mediocre cooling, needs tweaking

-Asus UX430UN - technically it has a 25W MX150 but it has mediocre cooling and temp limit for GPU, needs tweaking

Budget options with entry level IPS:

-Acer Swift 3 14 or 15 inch with 25W MX150

-HP Envy x360 15 with 25W MX150, 2 in 1

FYI 8250U and 8550U don't have much performance difference (except for 2MB more L3 cache) due to cooling and TDP limitations

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, Jeremy Dijkstra said:

Don't buy RAZER..... At least not this one..... If you want to go the external GPU route, you might have to get used enclosures and GPU under market conditions and your CPU will bottle neck the GPU if its a U processor but I guess you could get a 1050TI.

If you just want a laptop with no GPU for now then just get the DELL XPS 13 or if you want super light and slightly better battery life then the LG Gram 15 is good but I think the XPS is better.

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

With KBL-R CPU and 25W MX150:

-HP Spectre x360 15 - 2 in 1

-HP Envy 17 - if you don't mind the big footprint and need DVD drive

With KBL-R CPU and LP MX150:

-Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14

-HP Envy 13 - be aware of mediocre cooling, needs tweaking (undervolting for instance)

-Asus UX331UN - be aware of mediocre cooling, needs tweaking

-Asus UX430UN - technically it has a 25W MX150 but it has mediocre cooling and temp limit for GPU, needs tweaking

Budget options with entry level IPS:

-Acer Swift 3 14 or 15 inch with 25W MX150

-HP Envy x360 15 with 25W MX150, 2 in 1

FYI 8250U and 8550U don't have much performance difference (except for 2MB more L3 cache) due to cooling and TDP limitations

I recommend you stay away from the Envys, their price just got hiked and they are heavy despite their footprint and the screens don't get bright enough for outdoor use and are like a mirror. The Spectre x360 is the best option. The Ideapad is decent but what about its screen?? The UX series are great value for money as long as you don't expect that much performance and build and quality is great but just not as good as the spectre and will feel like a step down after your MacBook. The Acer Swift 3 is one of the best values for its price period.

38 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Currently what do you game on???

On my pc with an i7 and gtx 1070 strix. But soon im going to upgrade my i7 4th gen to the i7 8700k and im going to upgrade from 8 to 16 gb ram bcs its really bottlenecking my GPU rn

48 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

I recommend you stay away from the Envys, their price just got hiked and they are heavy despite their footprint and the screens don't get bright enough for outdoor use and are like a mirror. The Spectre x360 is the best option. The Ideapad is decent but what about its screen?? The UX series are great value for money as long as you don't expect that much performance and build and quality is great but just not as good as the spectre and will feel like a step down after your MacBook. The Acer Swift 3 is one of the best values for its price period.

Your'e right. I think im going for the acer swift 3 (http://www.mediamarkt.nl/nl/product/_acer-swift-3-sf314-52g-8033-1543778.html?channable=e9527.MTU0Mzc3OA&rbtc=hat|con|1543778||p||). Maybe this one? I would like it to keep it around this price 1000 to 1200 euros

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

I recommend you stay away from the Envys, their price just got hiked and they are heavy despite their footprint and the screens don't get bright enough for outdoor use and are like a mirror

Prices change often. Envy 17 has a decent, high quality IPS panel. Same goes to Envy 13, just slightly worse than the panel in Envy 17. Envy 13 and Envy 17 are portable for their size. FYI Swift 3 has worse display than Envy 13 and Envy 17

1 hour ago, Tarun10 said:

The Ideapad is decent but what about its screen?

Good IPS panel (72% NTSC)

Asus Zenbook has excellent models as well as good models. Build quality of Swift 3 is slightly worse than a budget Zenbook like UX310UA. Please use model names instead of series names, there are so many Envys, Ideapads and Zenbooks.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Prices change often. Envy 17 has a decent, high quality IPS panel. Same goes to Envy 13, just slightly worse than the panel in Envy 17. Envy 13 and Envy 17 are portable for their size. FYI Swift 3 has worse display than Envy 13 and Envy 17

Good IPS panel (72% NTSC)

Asus Zenbook has excellent models as well as good models. Build quality of Swift 3 is slightly worse than a budget Zenbook like UX310UA. Please use model names instead of series names, there are so many Envys, Ideapads and Zenbooks.

Ok I didn't know about the Ideapad that's why I asked. The Envys with GPUS are getting close to much more portable ultrabooks. The screen on the Envys are fantastic but their lack of brightness and reflective surface just kill it especially under direct light of any sort so its not suitable in a classroom.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Dijkstra said:

On my pc with an i7 and gtx 1070 strix. But soon im going to upgrade my i7 4th gen to the i7 8700k and im going to upgrade from 8 to 16 gb ram bcs its really bottlenecking my GPU rn

If you already have a decent gaming machine then I recommend just getting an Ultrabook instead. The Acer Swift won't last long with its build quality. Just think about it you won't miss gaming on your laptop. And even if you do want to game on it maybe at a party or something, Just pullout your GTX 1070 and get a GPU enclosure for 150$ or so and you will have a great gaming experience.

Bottomline-

You either go with the HP Envy 13/15 x360 with the MX150 but just go to a local store and have a look at the screen's brightness and also the form factor and weight.

If you find that to be okay then just go for it.

Otherwise you will just have to compromise on build quality and go for the Ideapad 720s 14 or one of the Zenbooks that you can find in your country.

7 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

lack of brightness

Well I have to give you facts then. 300+nits brightness on Envy 17 according to NBC. Agreed on the glossy panel.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Well I have to give you facts then. 300+nits brightness on Envy 17 according to NBC. Agreed on the glossy panel.

It does say 300+ nits but apparent brightness even under moderately lit condition is  only around a 200 nits panel.

13 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

It does say 300+ nits but apparent brightness even under moderately lit condition is  only around a 200 nits panel. it's unusable due to glossy panel

Corrected it for you

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Corrected it for you

I get the specs but I have the 15inch version and I have seen the 17 inch in person. My Dad's C9 Pro gets twice as bright as these panels but its still useable.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:05 PM, Tarun10 said:

The HP Spectre x360-15 is a decent laptop for your needs and has great build quality and the display and speakers are some of the best on Windows systems.

It also has an MX150 which is enough for casual gaming. But when you game it might get hot.

i think i have heard that the spectres thermal throttle and can damage themselves through heat but still a great laptop

1 hour ago, Crayfishian said:

can damage themselves through heat

where did you read this from? Such a funny fact.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Crayfishian said:

i think i have heard that the spectres thermal throttle and can damage themselves through heat but still a great laptop

The heat is really high on these laptops even with some moderate loads like a few different programs open at the same time. My friend has the Spectre and I have noticed this. Temperature on the bottom panel reach atleast 60-70 degrees Celsius. I doubt it damages them though.

On 22/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, Tarun10 said:

The heat is really high on these laptops even with some moderate loads like a few different programs open at the same time. My friend has the Spectre and I have noticed this. Temperature on the bottom panel reach atleast 60-70 degrees Celsius. I doubt it damages them though.

HP Spectres have been known to reach over 80 degrees and mine has hit 95 With only what I would describe as low-moderate stress but under synthetic loads it only reaches 75 degrees on both cores (no thermal throttling though)

19 minutes ago, Crayfishian said:

HP Spectres have been known to reach over 80 degrees and mine has hit 95 With only what I would describe as low-moderate stress but under synthetic loads it only reaches 75 degrees on both cores (no thermal throttling though)

Mine is a Quad core i7 so imagine the heat. I just load 7 or 8 tabs and my CPU heats up even with 16GB of RAM. Luckily the keyboard doesn't heat up cause it is almost full metal.

11 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Mine is a Quad core i7 so imagine the heat. I just load 7 or 8 tabs and my CPU heats up even with 16GB of RAM. Luckily the keyboard doesn't heat up cause it is almost full metal.

Yeah the metal keyboard helps

i usually go with one that can play my favorite game pugb the elder scrolls5addd11e097fc_bigsmoke.jpg.aa10106400afa088aa16b7aaa9c76a0a.jpg