Will replacing thermal paste help temps? (reference 970)

Pretty much title. 

I have a Palit GTX 970, with a reference style cooler.  It's loud and hot.  Whilst it's performed is more than adequate, I'm a bit of a tinkerer.   

Anyone got any thoughts as to whether it's worth the hassle? 

3 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

Pretty much title. 

I have a Palit GTX 970, with a reference style cooler.  It's loud and hot.  Whilst it's performed is more than adequate, I'm a bit of a tinkerer.   

It'll help a little but very marginal in most cases, if your paste is old or dried out then it will have a greater effect. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

It'll help a little but very marginal in most cases, if your paste is old or dried out then it will have a greater effect. 

Ah thanks for the link, somehow haven't seen this one!  

The GPU is second hand, I highly doubt the original owner took it apart, so who knows what it's like in there.  I've got some good paste so I might as well.

Just now, Bearded_Ed said:

Ah thanks for the link, somehow haven't seen this one!  

The GPU is second hand, I highly doubt the original owner took it apart, so who knows what it's like in there.  I've got some good paste so I might as well.

Probably not a bad idea to clean out the heatsink also if it's never been opened up, if so you should see a reasonable improvement. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Probably not a bad idea to clean out the heatsink also if it's never been opened up, if so you should see a reasonable improvement. 

So I just popped the cooler off, very easy 8 screws! 

The actual heat sync looks mostly clear but still a bit dirty.  The paste was relatively dry. There was also a reasonable helping of it.  

I suspect that, like in the video it was a square of pre applied stuff. 

Will see how it goes after picking up some compressed air tomorrow evening after work.  

My bench mark is 80 degrees in Overwatch.  (yes I know its not particularly scientific but this is mostly just for fun!) 

IMG_20180417_221257.jpg

3 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

Pretty much title. 

My MSI R9 390 always ran hot, going all the way to thermal throttle. After pulling it apart, found a tiny corner that had no paste. I put down an X pattern of Mx-4 & now it's 80°c tops. Best part is it no longer fluctuates. Constant temps. 

I'd say it's always worth a look, then you know. 

@Kc7vwc @W-L

So the results? 7 degrees colder!! And I think I'm getting about 5-10 fps more. 

Wow. I'm actually amazed at how different that is.  Only using Arctic MX-2

If you want to send some more for a longer term investment pretty much every accelero GPU cooler and the raijintech Morpheus 2 are fantastic, and can transition between GPUs no problem.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

37 minutes ago, Damascus said:

If you want to send some more for a longer term investment pretty much every accelero GPU cooler and the raijintech Morpheus 2 are fantastic, and can transition between GPUs no problem.

This is actually something I've been looking at already. Mainly from a noise perspective, probably only need the Twin Turbo 2 or something 

46 minutes ago, Bearded_Ed said:

This is actually something I've been looking at already. Mainly from a noise perspective, probably only need the Twin Turbo 2 or something 

The s3 + 120mm fan is the best entry level option

5 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

@Kc7vwc @W-L

So the results? 7 degrees colder!! And I think I'm getting about 5-10 fps more. 

Should I repaste my reference RX 480? Will it likely yield similar/noticeable results?

3 hours ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

Should I repaste my reference RX 480? Will it likely yield similar/noticeable results?

Are you regularly hitting high temps? If so it's worth considering. How old is the card?

It might also just be a case of, that's just how hot they run! 

4 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

Are you regularly hitting high temps? If so it's worth considering. How old is the card?

It might also just be a case of, that's just how hot they run! 

While playing Overwatch I usually hit 80 to 81, maybe as high as 85. The card is probably about a year and a half old, but the previous owner used it only for about 20 hours total. I'm going to put more hours on that :)

2 hours ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

While playing Overwatch I usually hit 80 to 81, maybe as high as 85. The card is probably about a year and a half old, but the previous owner used it only for about 20 hours total. I'm going to put more hours on that :)

Card use doesn't have as much to do with dry paste as age.  Get some nh-t1 and rrrrepaste!

21 hours ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

Well, my 970 always hit 80 in Overwatch.  Now it hit's 73 max!   And theoretically that means you could get higher FPS with GPU Boost 3.0 as I think that goes as high as it can before hitting temp limits.