Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

4 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Doesn't Apple love to use Samsung parts? Perhaps the manual and trained professionals are somewhere at Samsung? 

(only half-joking about this ^_^)

Wasn't Linus at Louis Rossman a while back? I'll bet you he can fix it.

Former Apple Genius here. My tenure went up to about the macbook pro touchbar. Sadly this is something that the store is always faced with. Apple will push out new product and not give a service strategy to go along with the product. it happened with the apple watch the iphone 5 with the chamfer defects and the touch bar retina. what you need to do is talk to the manager on site and if neccesary the store leader, market leader, and so on. It also helps to talk to apple customer relations. The end goal of this is that they can in fact exchange the computer if repairs are not available. that has always been a fall back for any product. there are ways to go about it depending on how you purchased the computer but it can be done. The managers can price adjust the cost of a new computer and can match what the repair can be so you can tell them your are not wanting to fully cover. the key to this is be as nice as you can. if you keep calm and be nice about the situation the people in the store will go out of their way to do what they can. when the touchbar came out this was the only strategy that was given by corporate as there was no other alternative. Even the off site repiar facility could not do repairs and it was a terrible situation to be in. hope this is helpful in some way you can tweet me @dciguy directly and i can elaborate if need be. Love what you guys do keep it up

you should reach out to Louis Rossmann on youtube, he's been known to repair Apple products. Might be able to help in your situation

China has the screen repair for every Apple product (maybe third party).

Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act say its illegal for a company to use whether or not you've opened your product as a reason to refuse service? I get that they eventually "agreed" to do the repair, but you shouldn't have had to fight with them at all over that portion.

I'm an Certified Apple repair tech that works for a premium service provider in Utica, NY and I run into this bullshit with Apple all the time. The Apple store goes off the Visual Mechanical Inspection guide. In the VMI it outlines that unauthorized modification of any mac computer automatically stop them from being able to setup a repair in GSX. Myself I don't give a shit as long as there aren't any missing parts I will order the screen and VHB strips to re-attach the screen for you. We get customers all the time that come in that went to the Syracuse Apple store and were denied service. Like today a women came in to have me put a new battery in her Iphone 6s, Apple wouldn't do it because a LCI was slightly tripped inside the phone. The LCI was very light pink, not even red, so I installed a new battery. If you guys were closer I would for sure setup the repair and get this done for you the day after I order the parts. If your up for a road trip my offer stands.

You can send me a private email with the serial and I will setup the repair in GSX to make sure I can get the parts.   I can attached a screen shot of me logged into GSX so you know i'm not a scammer.

pretty sure the video stated he needed a whole new motherboard too, not just the screen. And because of that, that is probably why Apple denied their repair. They also justify their prices and buying all the parts like they just break even rather than making a profit. At that point, just buy a new machine they figure. Since it wasn't a defective machine, they don't want to replace it when it wasn't Apples fault. But if the whole machine failed due to design failture , they would give you a new one for customer retention. 

Get the display from the 5k iMac. I’m not sure if it is similar but( it would however be slower) get 3rd party parts from eBay or from other iMacs(if that works). Or try to find a broken one on eBay for parts.

3 minutes ago, Travis S. said:
I'm an Certified Apple repair tech that works for a premium service provider in Utica, NY and I run into this bullshit with Apple all the time. The Apple store goes off the Visual Mechanical Inspection guide. In the VMI it outlines that unauthorized modification of any mac computer automatically stop them from being able to setup a repair in GSX. Myself I don't give a shit as long as there aren't any missing parts I will order the screen and VHB strips to re-attach the screen for you. We get customers all the time that come in that went to the Syracuse Apple store and were denied service. Like today a women came in to have me put a new battery in her Iphone 6s, Apple wouldn't do it because a LCI was slightly tripped inside the phone. The LCI was very light pink, not even red, so I installed a new battery. If you guys were closer I would for sure setup the repair and get this done for you the day after I order the parts. If your up for a road trip my offer stands.

You can send me a private email with the serial and I will setup the repair in GSX to make sure I can get the parts.   I can attached a screen shot of me logged into GSX so you know i'm not a scammer.

Wow, there are amazing people in this world!

This is bullshit.  I am an ACMT with iMac Pro 2017 certification.  I took the initiative to finish the ATLAS training and our AASP shop can do iMac Pro's now (after ordering a few custom repair fixtures like a specialized wifi support bracket).  What you have is an under-trained retail location.  Double under-trained, because they also have provisions for accepting a customer machine and shipping it to a central repair depot (at least in the US.)

To my knowledge there is provisioning for Apple to send you shipping materials to accomplish the same task, but that might be for warranty/AppleCare events only.

Apple might be interested to know that they have a retail location that cant service current products.

@LinusTech @GabenJr

iMac  Pro.png

Well, I would just escalate this to the court of law over the right of repair and sue Apple.

Sending an email to my dad. He worked in the iMac Pro BIOS team, but he might know someone in hardware.

I’ll bite the bait

Don’t break something and then expect the company that made it be obligated to fix it just because “you are willing to pay them.” 

No, this is not the same as crashing a car since this machine had whatever insurance (the warranty and or Apple Care) it had voided the moment LTT decided to open it and in doing so they revoked their right to a repair. End of story. 

I will not be responding to any quotes or @‘s 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I work for a Minnesota based Apple Authorized Service Provider. Repair resources are very limited for these devices still, but if you can provide me with the SN of the device I will certainly see what I can do. Once in a while, we can pull some strings by pleading with Apple directly to pull off some things that may not otherwise be possible.

I know there are some AASP's that claim to be able to fix it (not saying they can't mind you). However, if you wanted it repaired at an Apple Retail Store (ARS), then you should be able to now since the parts weren't in just yet. They also might not have had anyone complete the training at the site location.
However, as a Senior Advisor already stated on here, reaching out with Customer Relations via phone support would be the better option to get facilitated so that the repair is sent off without a hitch. Basically they would negotiate with the Store Manager as to why they couldn't get it fix and possible an ETA on when they can. A new product launch does end up having issues, and one of them is lack of spare parts. Normally people don't break the screens that early and when they do, they just swap the whole unit. Yours is a bit different of a story.

Personally, I would have checked with the Pacific Centre if the Oakridge Centre ARS weren't able to get the parts.
If they couldn't I'd ask to speak with Store Manager as to exactly why and when they could work on it or even mail it out to a repair center. (While they say they don't mail out iMacs, being a T1 at Apple, I've seen several sent there from ARS).

Hey Linus and Co,

Ever heard of AGi Repair based in the states? They handle all the other Mac devices and should easily be ablto repair this assuming they let you register a corporate account :)

Alt ideal: if they don't let you register you can ship it to my store and we're able to use our act with them

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’ll bite the bait

Don’t break something and then expect the company that made it be obligated to fix it just because “you are willing to pay them.” 

I will not be responding to any quotes or @‘s 

I really think it shouldn't matter. If that's the way of thinking, insurance companies shouldn't fix your car cause you crashed it....Who's fault is that... oh right YOURS.

9 minutes ago, ParticleCannon said:

This is bullshit.  I am an ACMT with iMac Pro 2017 certification.  I took the initiative to finish the ATLAS training and our AASP shop can do iMac Pro's now (after ordering a few custom repair fixtures like a specialized wifi support bracket).  What you have is an under-trained retail location.  Double under-trained, because they also have provisions for accepting a customer machine and shipping it to a central repair depot (at least in the US.)

To my knowledge there is provisioning for Apple to send you shipping materials to accomplish the same task, but that might be for warranty/AppleCare events only.

Apple might be interested to know that they have a retail location that cant service current products.

@LinusSebastian @GabenJr

iMac  Pro.png

Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for the insight. 

8 minutes ago, ha1o2surfer said:

pretty sure the video stated he needed a whole new motherboard too, not just the screen. And because of that, that is probably why Apple denied their repair. They also justify their prices and buying all the parts like they just break even rather than making a profit. At that point, just buy a new machine they figure. Since it wasn't a defective machine, they don't want to replace it when it wasn't Apples fault. But if the whole machine failed due to design failture , they would give you a new one for customer retention. 

You can do a multi-part repair although your probably right about the cost.  A screen and logic board will be almost as much as a new machine.  If I had the serial number I could look the cost of both parts up and confirm.

As for customer retention they usually need to see at least 2 repairs already done on the unit before they will replace the whole unit unless the unit has a known defect.

Just now, Travis S. said:

You can do a multi-part repair although your probably right about the cost.  A screen and logic board will be almost as much as a new machine.  If I had the serial number I could look the cost of both parts up and confirm.

As for customer retention they usually need to see at least 2 repairs already done on the unit before they will replace the whole unit unless the unit has a known defect.

You're right about the 2 repairs, I figured the screen and motherboard were the 2 major repairs. You may be able to input a serial number with the same config maybe? :) 

I write it here again cause I kinda think it will be read here more likely than in the YT comments:

Get your Staff, get a bunch of AK47, and rocket launchers, go to Apple HQ, and force them at gun point blank to sell you the spare parts. (jk)

Speaking of spare parts, got in the position that I needed a spare part for my tumble dryer, and the company is actually selling every part of it separately, but if you do ... you pay ~ 20 times as much as buying a brand new one. I mean e.g. the drawer for catching the water is almost as expensive as a new machine ....

14 minutes ago, ParticleCannon said:

@LinusSebastian @GabenJr

iMac  Pro.png

Just an FYI, but iMacs are not "shippable" and in Canada, that's not possible for Canadians, even for macbooks. You can also do it for non-warranty items but you just pay too much for it (IE: macbook screens run $500USD and logic boards are around $800USD).

4 minutes ago, OutsideTheBox said:

I write it here again cause I kinda think it will be read here more likely than in the YT comments:

Get your Staff, get a bunch of AK47, and rocket launchers, go to Apple HQ, and force them at gun point blank to sell you the spare parts. (jk)

Speaking of spare parts, got in the position that I needed a spare part for my tumble dryer, and the company is actually selling every part of it separately, but if you do ... you pay ~ 20 times as much as buying a brand new one. I mean e.g. the drawer for catching the water is almost as expensive as a new machine ....

Wee woo wee woo. This is the internet police, your arrest is imminent. 

Charged with: Threatening an Act of Terrorism