Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

1 hour ago, Graciano Arroyo IV said:

can confirm this^ 

here's a quick screenshot of ifixit's iMacPro teardown w/ the confirmation

IMG_0579.PNG

As it says right underneath the part you circled they are not interchangeable. 

Intel Core i5 4690K 4.2GHz | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 | EVGA 960 4GB SSC SLI | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750B | Corsair Hydro Series H50

For the glass, maybe try some automotive glass repair resin? I have never used it so I don't know the cons of using it, but that is one option.

For the boards/PSU, honestly go over them at a component level like Louis Rossman does and find the skidmark or thing that looks broken. The board isn't magic, it is resistors, capacitors, and controllers. Most of these components can be easily and cheaply replaced if you can find their values.

Hey, sorry I'm new to the forum and not really that interested in it so I haven't read anything above. I love the show, and wanted to let you know I just forwarded the video to one of Apple's engineers. He's also a big fan and says he's gonna try to poke around and see if he can find someone to look into fixing this. Hope something comes of it.

AASP in the US here.  I am certified for the iMac Pro and I can order the parts as well.  I'm not 100% certain what's going on with the Canadian AASPs but there shouldn't be a problem getting what you need. I wouldn't recommend following the instructions of the others that are saying to order a different display and make it work or getting a Shenzen special part. Contact AppleCare and escalate to a senior adviser or just the Apple Store manager. 

EDIT-- I just rewatched the video.  The issue is going to be with more than the display.  The machine was plugged in and sparked at the top when it was dropped.  There is much more that could have been damaged. Logic Board, LCD Panel, Power Supply, and potentially storage / RAM.  I would absolutely contact an AppleCare Senior Adviser. Let them know it's business critical and ask to get it replaced for the cost of the repair. I'm not saying it'll happen but there is a good chance. 

Contact Matt Cariker at Demolition Ranch/ Vet Ranch / Off the Ranch Youtube channels.

Blow the thing up. 

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Take it to Lewis!  I'd love to see another video with you guys! I had a blast watching that one!

My 2 cents.

In Australia it's a legal responsibility to carry spares for products.

Perhaps you can order the parts here? I'd be happy to let you use my details and such to get the bits as on forward.

ACSP Tech in the U.S. here.

Based upon the timeline you guys provided the materials to certify on the iMac Pro systems was not available until the first or second week of February after you purchased the system. After that the study materials were available as were the parts so my only guess is that both locations you went to did'nt have certified tech's in order to complete the repair.

This entire situation is odd since most AASP's can get the tests knocked out in a few days in between repairs if not quicker. Then it's just a simple matter of processing the serial number and ordering the needed parts. If both places are still in this same situation I'd report them both to someone higher up at Apple since AASP's need to have at least one certified tech for all equipment that Apple supports.

Really sorry you're going thru this. Love your stuff!

Everyone says you can't replace the LCD from the glass in the latest iMacs. Could you prove everyone wrong and remove the broken glass using a heat gun or hot plate similar to the way people do it with cell phones and iPads? Maybe you could even try and replace the glass with glass from an older iMac as well. This assumes that you LCD is still working, though. I think that would be an awesome video in itself, as I've always been curious about this. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwAkH19MB-I

5ad68011efced_ScreenShot2018-04-17at7_14_25PM.png.5cad88f1ae002b8cd299370a0f1a4481.png

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

I’ll begin by stating I totally agree that if you’re willing to pay for an out of warranty repair, Apple should accommodate the request. I definitely recommend escalating this issue (with your repair documentation) to both AppleCare and executive relations. 

That being said... I think there’s two issues at play. The first: iMac Pro replacement parts are incredibly constrained at the moment. (I won’t go into detail here, but I’ll say that I’m familiar with the Apple service ordering process). 

Apple is likely leaning heavily on their unauthorized repair policy b/c they need to accommodate & prioritize customers that did not knowingly open their machines for a take-apart. The second issue is that (based on the short clip in this video) you didn’t take into account standard Apple/iMac repair procedures, namely: waiting an hour for the power supply to discharge and not wearing a grounded, anti-static wrist strap.

C’mon guys, don’t be sloppy. Yes, Apple should be helping you out, but don’t lay all the blame at their feet. 

Hope you get sorted and please just hackintosh from now on :)    ( up the blues !! ) 

Cover it in dough and bake it. Cut it into 3.14 slices. Call it Apple Pi. Become millionaires.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Hiitchy said:

I'm going to attempt to summon @DrMacintosh and see if they can provide any recourse.

I already stated that I don’t care. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For everyone saying its a 5k display just use it one from ebay ect. that's from a 5k imac they may work but the display will be in a lower resolution and won't go to 5k you need an exact match on the panel part number.

The only way these screens would end up in china is if they were getting reglassed there, so that my be a plausible way to find one. it would be a genuine LCD but replacement lower quality glass. these screens I would assume are made by either LG or Samsung so likely not to be manufactured in china.

These screens can be regassed but they are loca glued you can just take a heat gun to it. You need thousands of pounds worth of reglassing equipment especially for the larger displays.

Louis Rossman will likely be able to help with the board and psu problem so just contact him regarding that, i'm sure you wont need a replacement board, its likely just replacement component. component level repair is very widely done on expensive machines such as these.

I run https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookrepair/ might be some guys on their I can ask for official channels.

AASP in the US here.  I am certified for the iMac Pro and I can order the parts as well.  I'm not 100% certain what's going on with the Canadian AASPs but there shouldn't be a problem getting what you need. I wouldn't recommend following the instructions of the others that are saying to order a different display and make it work or getting a Shenzen special part. Contact AppleCare and escalate to a senior adviser or just the Apple Store manager. 

EDIT-- I just rewatched the video.  The issue is going to be with more than the display.  The machine was plugged in and sparked at the top when it was dropped.  There is much more that could have been damaged. Logic Board, LCD Panel, Power Supply, and potentially storage / RAM.  I would absolutely contact an AppleCare Senior Adviser. Let them know it's business critical and ask to get it replaced for the cost of the repair. I'm not saying it'll happen but there is a good chance. 

Those sparks are fake, you can tell in slow motion when the camera moves, the sparks move with the camera.

I'm to lazy to read through all these post to se if anyone mentioned the guy from Strange Parts Try getting in touch with him hes got a youtube page and a webpage linked on his Channel 

He tinkers with iPhones made his own with a headphone jack maybe he knows a guy in Shenzhen that has the parts you need for this iMac.  Really sad on Apples part to not have repair services in place by now.

Just buy a new iMac Pro and swap the internals needed, lol

NDA's suck. there are 2 departments that can make action happen when things are stuck. Customer Relations, and Executive Relations. CR will only do something if the issue is non-technical, repairs are considered technical. ER will only get involved if they are contacted. Jesse might be a senior advisor but she can't reach out to them. Government officials are occasionally given contact information, but Executive relations also get told what to do from Executive Leadership at Apple. Perhaps trying that route?

Hey Linus I have experience with doing board repairs and if you're interested I'd be more than happy to help you. I live in New West so you won't have to ship the bords anywhere. I'm pretty sure the power supply can be repaired, possibly mobo depending what fried and could look into retrofitting a 5k panel (connector rewire). The parts are broken anyway so it's worth a try in my op

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Watch the video.

Also I love how so many accounts were made just because of said video.

Part of the reason is cause the video is getting 100,000 views every hour - won't be surprised the video might end up trending on youtube.

Another reason is cause what gets commented on youtube gets ignored by the highly upvoted comments.

ok linus you won, I finally created an account here. 
For now just to trow some PSAs to the people posting here about Rossmann and Scotty from Strange Parts: Linus knows about Rossmann, and right now in theory he is in china or was at least, making a collab video with Scotty.

Hi @GabenJr! I've been in a very similar situation with Apple. 

I strong recommend you get in touch with Apple "Customer Relations" in California (different than Customer Support). They can overrule everything that happens in a Store. They will make it right.  (You need to be transferred to them via support department). 

I once had my iMac in and out of the Apple Store for WEEKS until I called customer relations and explained my situation. In my case, they got in touch with the Store manager and told him he must REPLACE my iMac (no more back and forth trying to repair it). Obviously they won't replace the LinusTechTips iMac Pro in this particular case (my case was through Apple Care) but I believe Customer Relations will make this right if you explain the situation to them.

I could see if they were denying you for some other reason (like for user-caused damage).  But denying a service request simply due to lack of access to parts will be unacceptable to them. 

Call them, and please keep us updated! 

Good luck!

4 hours ago, GabenJr said:

have you tried giving lewis a call and can you currently use an external display with this on plugged in?