Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

meanwhile in Australia, Apple gets sued for breaking our consumer laws for this exact reason.

The fact that they even refused to repair a product which was being reviewed... astounds me.

I hope this is reflected in the overall review and that enough people take notice.... they might just stay away.

Just now, perrycucko said:

As i mentioned in my earlier post, you should just get an earlier models 5K screen from aliexpress.

iFixit states that it's the same panel.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Pro+Teardown/101807#s191240

dude the old 5K panel is not compatible, posting again won't change that, honestly half the people on here are genuinely starting to get on my nerves, the guys clearly asked for assistance and people posting the same garbage over and over will just bury any hopeful solution.

If it takes you a 30 second google to find a solution its not worth posting here as I can guarantee they have seen it, Also to assume you can just rewire the connectors is ridiculous not only for the fact that it'll be almost impossible if not impossible to acquire a schematic for the pro to figure out the pinout with no guess work but I can pretty much guarantee if there's a cheaper way to repair apples device by using an older part the part will be bricked during a future apple update, case in point iPhone 8, Uses the exact same LCD as the iPhone 7, sure it'll display until you update, bye lcd or using a iPad 5 LCD in an Air 1 aye it'll work but it'll be much dimmer.

I realize I'm getting irrationally annoyed but repairs is what I do and it is so frustrating to see people throwing out terrible advise that could potentially damage someones device.

3 minutes ago, Haktar said:

dude the old 5K panel is not compatible, posting again won't change that, honestly half the people on here are genuinely starting to get on my nerves, the guys clearly asked for assistance and people posting the same garbage over and over will just bury any hopeful solution.

If it takes you a 30 second google to find a solution its not worth posting here as I can guarantee they have seen it, Also to assume you can just rewire the connectors is ridiculous not only for the fact that it'll be almost impossible if not impossible to acquire a schematic for the pro to figure out the pinout with no guess work but I can pretty much guarantee if there's a cheaper way to repair apples device by using an older part the part will be bricked during a future apple update, case in point iPhone 8, Uses the exact same LCD as the iPhone 7, sure it'll display until you update, bye lcd or using a iPad 5 LCD in an Air 1 aye it'll work but it'll be much dimmer.

I realize I'm getting irrationally annoyed but repairs is what I do and it is so frustrating to see people throwing out terrible advise that could potentially damage someones device.

Think of it - this man has a point. But what are the chances they threw a curve ball and changed the data pinout?

BRO, Just buy the parts on Ebay! and watch a fix video at YouTube or something! 

MSI GTX 1070, i7-6700k and alot of Corsair. CORSAIR! I ? CORSAIR!! Best gaming brand EVER!

5 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Have your credit card company take care of it. Bring the product back to Apple (with all the packaging), leave it with them, and then have the charge reversed on your credit card. BAM

59 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

What's up, my G. My buddy buddy. Mah dude. What it do?
Jokes aside. It seems like the reps at Apple and ACS (Apple Customer Service), aren't giving you a more thorough explanation as to why they're allowing allowing it for repair. And at the Apple Store, it's not because they're not certified. It's mainly because they see (most likely) that they saw signs of burns from what I saw. Not only that, but I'm sure it was also because of the broken adhesives. Which you may or may not have reinstalled (judging by the tape on the chassis). Which basically tells them that you opened it. An AASP is generally allowed to accept the repair, but take the risk of getting caught as they (we) are not allowed to make such exceptions. In some cases, depending on the environment, it may be easier for some to get away with it. 
As for the certification availability, you are correct. Apple does release products before certifications are even available. According to the way the system works, if Apple's system does not see a certification applied to the technician's account, we are not able to create a repair, and thus cannot order parts. In this case, you are limited to going to the Apple Store for such situations. I also want to mention, that this is generally for quality control on Apple's behalf. However, I can see how many many customers and techs would be upset with such issues. 
an Apple iMac certified technician working for an AASP, Apple Authorized Service Provider

Edited by OmgitsNatalie
A copy was posted on the YouTube video

4 minutes ago, JesusWithPants said:

Think of it - this man has a point. But what are the chances they threw a curve ball and changed the data pinout?

it's doubtful, Apple don't actually make the LCD panel, or much for that matter they just have it assembled in their 'special' way, the LCD panel will most likely be made by LG or Samsung so they will be the same but not only will the connectors be different but so will cable length, mounting points, possibly the camera mount its just not even worth considering I doubt they want a frakenmac

Edit: It's LG for this one apparently

Do you have a Apple Technician E-mail adress ? If yes have you try has a certified technician to go on Apple GSX to order the part ? Maybe it's only for authorized retailers but if you are a tech and at the same time an authorized retailer you maybe have access to this platform to order parts only by entering the serial number of your iMac Pro...

1 minute ago, OmgitsNatalie said:

What's up, my G. My buddy buddy. Mah dude. What it do?
Jokes aside. It seems like the reps at Apple and ACS (Apple Customer Service), aren't giving you a more thorough explanation as to why they're allowing allowing it for repair. And at the Apple Store, it's not because they're not certified. It's mainly because they see (most likely) that they saw signs of burns from what I saw. Not only that, but I'm sure it was also because of the broken adhesives. Which you may or may not have reinstalled (judging by the tape on the chassis). Which basically tells them that you opened it. An AASP is generally allowed to accept the repair, but take the risk of getting caught as they (we) are not allowed to make such exceptions. In some cases, depending on the environment, it may be easier for some to get away with it. 
As for the certification availability, you are correct. Apple does release products before certifications are even available. According to the way the system works, if Apple's system does not see a certification applied to the technician's account, we are not able to create a repair, and thus cannot order parts. In this case, you are limited to going to the Apple Store for such situations. I also want to mention, that this is generally for quality control on Apple's behalf. However, I can see how many many customers and techs would be upset with such issues. 
an Apple iMac certified technician working for an AASP, Apple Authorized Service Provider

Plus the fact that parts become available after a month or two after the products release...

iMac Pro Teardown from iFixit suggests that iMac Pro uses the same display panel used in iMac 5K: LG LM270QQ1

If that's the case, you can buy this part in many places, including this Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-A1419-LM270QQ1-SDB1-Screen-Display/dp/B01LVU2CEA

Disclaimer: I'm not the seller and I don't guarantee it will work.

I see some great ideas but you're all thinking to hard. If they won't work with you work against them. Use the internals to build a "frankenmac" (with a video of course) and make it so awesome apple sees it, gets butthurt, and sends you the parts you need just so you'll put their "glorious" machine back to how it's supposed to be. If you can't beat them, make them really really mad.

1 minute ago, Haktar said:

it's doubtful, Apple don't actually make the LCD panel, or much for that matter they just have it assembled in their 'special' way, the LCD panel will most likely be made by LG or Samsung so they will be the same but not only will the connectors be different but so will cable length, mounting points, possibly the camera mount its just not even worth considering I doubt they want a frakenmac

I might be wrong (have seen opened iMac Pro only once) but if I recall correctly both data cable and power are the same. Cable lenght - yes its different, so are the attachment points on mobo...

Just now, JimmyJichi said:

iMac Pro Teardown from iFixit suggests that iMac Pro uses the same display panel used in iMac 5K: LG LM270QQ1

If that's the case, you can buy this part in many places, including this Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-A1419-LM270QQ1-SDB1-Screen-Display/dp/B01LVU2CEA

Disclaimer: I'm not the seller and I don't guarantee it will work.

It may be the same panel but the cabling won't carry over necessarily. Connectors, lengths could be different, etc. As mentioned in the video thread, I think their best bet is to actually send it to an AASP and have them attempt the repair as warranty replacement first, and if they're blacklisted, do stock parts. Pricey either way, but it can be fixed.

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

Hey

I use to work with, and know a guy who has an Apple certified repair depot in ottawa. What makes him special, is that he’s an ex-employee of Apple and has all the certifications required for the weird stuff.

I spoke with him about this, and he would need a serial number to even begin the process to order the hardware. 

Feel free to to reach out,

JJ

I think its safe to say from the answers in the thread that the best option is to go to an AASP and request a out-of-warranty repair. Will be pricey but sure as hell better than DIYing it and getting the risk of fking it up even more.

Ask serpentza or Collin Abroadcast if they can send you a new Display from China. I think they can get one easily.

I think this could be a really nice Video;)

https://www.techdefenders.com i work for these guys and they mostly deal with buy backs and repairs for schools but id be willing to bet they could work something out. unfortunately we are located in Grand Rapids Michigan  

I'd get a lawyer involved. All these corporate fat cats know is money, and causing enough of a fuss or even demanding a hilarious amount of money in a lawsuit would get enough media attention to make them rethink some things, because their brand would take a hit, and they'd lose money. 

TBH- their brand deserves it at this point. 

1 minute ago, JesusWithPants said:

I think its safe to say from the answers in the thread that the best option is to go to an AASP and request a out-of-warranty repair. Will be pricey but sure as hell better than DIYing it and getting the risk of fking it up even more.

Agreed.

Maybe get in touch with "stranger parts" the YouTuber, he is in Shenzhen China and mannaged to build his own iPhone from scratch, maybe do a colab video and see if he could hunt down the parts.....

You can get anything fixed in that city.

Good luck! And looking forward to the follow-up video.

order parts from China.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

You have been banned

17 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

BRO, Just buy the parts on Ebay! and watch a fix video at YouTube or something! 

I was just going to post the same thing. I worked in a mom and pop apple repair store that wasn't apple certified (I personally am now certified) we got a lot of parts off eBay. So I would recommend to see if any one is selling those screens on eBay. Another option is to see if you can get in contact with any of the manufacturers in Shenzhen China. Or as someone else mentioned get in contact with Louis Rossmann. Also someone that might be able to help you out the most in Shenzhen China is Strange Parts from Youtube. He's the one who built his own iPhone from buying his own parts in Shenzhen China.

Strange parts youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8DQrSp5yEP937qNqTooOw

https://www.thebookyard.com/

these guys tear down apple stuff and sell the working guts check them out i've bought from them before they are legit. they seem to have the parts.

https://www.thebookyard.com/parts-imac-intel-27.php?cPath=34_166_524&sort=2a&filter_id=14

https://www.thebookyard.com/parts-imac-intel-27.php?cPath=34_166_524&sort=2a&filter_id=25

https://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=34_166_524&products_id=17670

Nick Reid

1 hour ago, Xeo13 said:

I would look into a 5K replacement screen for the regular 5k iMac and see if that is compatible with the iMac Pro. Both products have 27in 5k Displays.  

They also need a new motherboard and PSU according to the end of the video