Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

As I understand it under the user end agreement, or even the current fine print of the warranty used for apple produces at the moment.They hold the right to deny service, repairs or invalidate your warranty if they so choose to and are not required to give any reason.

The only course of action left for the user, since under the warranty and user agree, apple "lets" you use they produce, and you technically do not "own" the produce even if you bought and payed for it. As well as, all apple stores do not do any repairs. Any third party, that could repair your apple, has to be certified, license, and under go the apple approved repair training program. Then they can receive their certification and license, only if apple then approves of the third party to make repair. Apple frequently refuses this to any second or third party,

Since apple was most likely invalidated the warranty, and has refuse to make any repairs, by their warranty service, any third party, and has refused to even sell or release the needed parts to make repairs. Apple expects you just to buy a new apple produce to replace to broken one, and does not like their produces to be repaired.

With that said, How can you fix it, is the main question. Since the warranty is most likely has already been invalidate by apple and they simply refuse to honor it, or fix your apple. This most likely occurred the moment you opened the imac to do your review, 

In the short term to use the imac, us any secondary video output the imac might have or a usb to video output adapter;  if the damage is just the display. To repair the display, find the lcd manufacturing information of the lcd supplier who builds and sells the parts to apple. That is often found in small print or a sticker on the back of the lcd panel. That would bypass apple altogether. Then order directly from the parts provider apple gets their parts from. You may need to cross reference the lcd panel, you just have to make sure the manufacturer, model number, serial number, rough manufacture date of the lcd panel is the same.

No other lcd panel will work if it is not identical.  The bios, or firmware will not post if it is not identical. I found this out when I user to repair laptop for a living, and I still do repairs but not as often. If the damage is the logic board or mother board, it make take the same steps to repair it.

One other thing I have found with imac, they are very picky about the memory you put in them, and only certain memory manufacturers. I am also including where I get my apple replacement parts. I do not know if they may have what you need, but it may be a place to start from, https://eshop.macsales.com/

https://www.alibaba.com or https://www.aliexpress.com  are good source for new parts as well.

As an update to my first posting; I took the time to read through the many of the other postings. It looks like that if there is damage to the power supply, possible main logic board/motherboard damage, and a short of the connector to the screen / lcd panel and a damage lcd panel. It makes the repair of the whole of the imac pro almost not worth it. Pulling the hdd or the ssd that it uses as main storage and recovering the data off it may be the only option. As a person who was repaired computers for a living, and if an employing of mine was responsible for the damaging the computer, I would first consider my options, and be thinking about if that person who damage the computer would still have a job to come back to. If the damage was done by the apple store's attempt to make repairs, or improper disassembly of the imac pro by employs at the apple store, and apple them refuses to fix their mistake of what ever reason. Again, recovering the needed data from the storage drive, may be the only option. If your still want to fix it, then starting with one problem at a time; by replacing or repairing the power supply on a component level may be a step in a direction. There is not many ways to check a circuit without a test signal or a set test voltage and current. There are circuit testing equipment on the market but not everyone was access to that type of test equipment.That is for the possible power supply problem; as for a shorted connector to the lcd panel, you may need to find a parts machine from craigs list of ebay.

I do not know if I have been any help, but I do hope gave you some ideas,

hey gabenjr if you send me the specs for the imac pro i might be able to source the parts for you.

Given the lack of replacement parts, I'd try to get a refund / return of the PC for the original purchase price. Depending on your consumer laws, (I know it is the case here in Australia) there has to be reasonably available spare parts. If there isn't then it's not fit for purpose and you should be able to take it back. Then again, actually getting someone to process said refund YMMV.

On 2018-04-17 at 12:11 PM, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Try macsales.com they are the zen masters of imac upgrades and bits

Has anyone gotten any response? I mean really ... we can have you up and running in a few days as we have the parts available but since absolutely nobody answers, I take this video and the story around it with a great grain of salt. Good luck anyways with fixing the Mac...

6 hours ago, Chris Kauz said:

Has anyone gotten any response? I mean really ... we can have you up and running in a few days as we have the parts available but since absolutely nobody answers, I take this video and the story around it with a great grain of salt. Good luck anyways with fixing the Mac...

I'll probably get @nicklmg to close the thread today so we can start sifting through all the responses; We've had a huge number of them across multiple e-mail addresses, PM inboxes, and this thread itself. So the plan is to follow up on the most promising leads first - Starting with the more local and expanding outwards if those fall through.

Sorry for the lack of communication on my part. Between the Ryzen 2 video's embargo release and a flu I've been dealing with, I've been unable to respond to much of anything over the last week.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

58 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

I'll probably get @nicklmg to close the thread today so we can start sifting through all the responses; We've had a huge number of them across multiple e-mail addresses, PM inboxes, and this thread itself. So the plan is to follow up on the most promising leads first - Starting with the more local and expanding outwards if those fall through.

Sorry for the lack of communication on my part. Between the Ryzen 2 video's embargo release and a flu I've been dealing with, I've been unable to respond to much of anything over the last week.

I know it's off-topic but still, i hope you get better soon! :)

I really hope you guys can find a solution.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

On 4/17/2018 at 3:29 PM, SC2157 said:

I'm a senior advisor for Concentrix Canada and I deal daily with product like iPhone, iPad and iMac. (can't say anything mode due to NDA but I guess you can figure out what is my job) As a senior I deal with stuff like that and actually there is a department for customer relation for when the issue is not only tech related. Would love to take the case but I'm doing support mainly for the french queue.

SC2157, I used to work in the same role for a another contracted 3rd party company. There's nothing you could do in any queue, and you know that they have to call you first. As far as the NDA, that includes making posts in forums.   Linustechtips, I enjoy your channel, I really do not understand how this happened in the first place, first the machine was not fully discharged, and you apparently fried something. Next, why didn't GabenJr, have the machine on its backside? In some small shops, failing to discharge the  machine, and failing to follow basic protocols would be a terminable offense.

Apple used to troubleshoot to the component level. Apparently these days, they just swap out the entire machine for these issues. I am not sure what you are going to do. Maybe turn it into a PC using different components? The glass should be easy enough to replace, I am guessing the real issue is with whatever was fried.  

5 minutes ago, tsongming said:

Linustechtips, I enjoy your channel, I really do not understand how this happened in the first place, first the machine was not fully discharged, and you apparently fried something. Next, why didn't GabenJr, have the machine on its backside? In some small shops, failing to discharge the  machine, and failing to follow basic protocols would be a terminable offense.

So the way this happened is:

• Reassembled with the machine laid flat
  • Placed upright, plugged it in, no go.
    • What should have happened here is I unplug it, discharge it, and lay it flat again - That's the major mistake that led to this. End of day, after hours, tired, etc, led to corner cutting
  • Checked wiring
  • Screen shorted PSU
  • Drop

The re-enactment only showed the drop portion, and less like it originally happened for illustrative purposes.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Apple is wrong, period. Apple's terms of service is bullshit. It's cleverly worded and has a lot of the right terminology, but it basically says to everyone that wants to buy it that they can't work on it themselves if they want to. That's bullshit. Any company or product that can only be repaired by the manufacturer is a greedy selfish company. Period.

Because at the end of the day, they are refusing to sell the parts, which they should want to sell so that people can buy more of their products, but they don't because they want to reserve the units for maximum profits when they sell the entire machine. This is bullshit. Period.

Anyone trying to fight for Apple on this matter is a fool. Period. I don't care if the TOS says that Linus was in the wrong, because he wasn't. This is literally a company that is too big to fail trying to be extremely greedy and shady about their business practices as of late.

Oh and guess what, Apple's CEO is Tim Cook, a guy I share a last name with... and I think he's the douchebag that's forcing all of this to happen with the iphones, ipads, macbooks, imacs, etc.

This wouldn't even be an issue if Steve Jobs was still alive. He'd be rolling in his grave. Steve might've wanted to make money but he didn't have to be a selfish greedy son of a bitch to change the industry.

You should contact the Attorney General for the BC region. A big part of their job is to protect consumers from getting screwed by large corporations.

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :)