Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

2 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

They need it repaired for future LTT videos.

I mean if they need for Benchmarks , Data that's on it, etc. (everything that isn't B-roll or that ABSOLUTELY need the iMac internal display)

19 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

try and buy a broken iMac pro and take parts from it

Why not use your position as an influencer and tweet them? Naming and shamming typically works wounders, especially if you carry clout online.

Hi, I have an Idea:) 

I Think that you could get in contact with the "iPhone Guy" from Cina, the one who posted videos from Cina about modding end building iPhones. His name is Scott, and maybe he knows someone who can help. I'll put down here his socials.

GoodLuck 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8DQrSp5yEP937qNqTooOw/featured

https://www.facebook.com/strangepartscom/

https://www.instagram.com/strangeparts_com/

https://strangeparts.com/

https://twitter.com/strangepartscom/

@GabenJr AASP's in EU only started to get parts for iMac Pro in late february/early March. Maybe one more trip to Your local AASP and ask them to fix it? Then just remove the glass again and this time dont break it :D

Other than that - You can retrofit another display from 5K 27" iMac(2015). It will require some fiddling, but from shematics it's possible.

Did you but the Mac in Canada, cause you guys have some lovely laws about the legality of selling electronics that the manufacturer cant repair :)

(also if anything like england, there are no spare parts here)

Try reaching out to an university apple support tech. I can see the iMac Pro being used in as workstation in some science, engineering, or art universities Often times these university support staffs would have all the newest certs.  

Also, if you need a display, maybe you coud getto mount a cinema display or something like that in place of the original iMac's display with adapters and solder from the inside of the iMac (video idea ? ;))

6 minutes ago, SC2157 said:

I'm a senior advisor for Concentrix Canada and I deal daily with product like iPhone, iPad and iMac. (can't say anything mode due to NDA but I guess you can figure out what is my job) As a senior I deal with stuff like that and actually there is a department for customer relation for when the issue is not only tech related. Would love to take the case but I'm doing support mainly for the french queue.

I think Linus does speak French. So, is that a workaround? ?

If all else fails, id make every effort to scour eBay daily for parts. Someone may be parting one out or there may be damaged/defective ones for sale. Unfortunately with something like an iMac, screens are one of the more damaged things. 

Certainly someone will have a damaged one up for sale at some point or at least parting one out. Though I imagine it would not come cheap... 

Just pick up a 5k screen from the "normal" 5k imac, and ask someone like louis rossman to replace the connectors with the existing connectors on your own iMac Pro screen (;

1 minute ago, Official_BlazeKing said:

I think Linus does speak French. So, is that a workaround? ?

Yeah and his french is pretty bad :P

My call center in Montreal is bilingual so it could work if he end up calling us.

Start hunting on eBay and craigslist. Find a dead iMac Pro and cannibalize it for the parts you need. Those displays are in short supply. 

Captain Destructo

Desktop build:

Intel i9-9820X @ 4.0GHz, watercooled with 360mm rad

64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 2080

2x Intel 660p 1TB NVMe SSD in RAID0

4TB WD Blue HDD

2x 10gb SPF+ fiber NIC

All enclosed in the beautiful Lian Li O11 Dynamic

Laptop:
ASUS ROG Zephyrus GU502GV w/ RTX 2060

I doubt apple will do anything, as the video has been published, and if they let you fix it they need to let everyone else. That being said the recent ruling about the warranty void if removed stickers, which might help you as legally they can't say your warranty is void now but again because there stance is public if they back down now it looks a bad for them. So you could take the internals out and use them to make your own all in 1 PC from scratch or something similar which might at least give you a video or two but getting a fix maybe not.

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I'm not in favor of government regulations but this should be illegal.

Just now, krysta24 said:

I'm not in favor of government regulations but this should be illegal.

why the hell would it?