Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

2 hours ago, FoolishlyWise said:

@GabenJr   @LinusTech I work for Parliament here in the UK (as a researcher for a Member), and I believe we have some relations with the exec team/public affairs team at Apple. Could write to them using my position in Parliament to see what they can do. It usually works. 

I am happy to provide proof I work for em (have my official email and other bits of ID) - if a mod or yourselves want to check this. 

I feel sure more than a few newspapers would be delighted to know a public service employee is attempting to leverage their position to get some sort of preferential treatment for a Canadian company by leaning on a US company.... are you looking to get fired?

Strange Parts - a guy who got every instructions from vendors to hacked out a iphone 5 

Except the display and the iMac Pro is not Made in China - which is why the whole thing costs so much

iMac Pro has a top of the line screen display.  They ain't gonna get the same screen out from China.

Linus just get iJustine to fix it. She probably has x20 of them in her house.

From the last time you did inventory there.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

get the parts on Alibaba I bet its there

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Linus just get iJustine to fix it. She probably has x20 of them in her house.

From the last time you did inventory there.

She probably has a iMac Pro screen hidden in her closet somewhere.  Last time she looked, she had a 1tb SSD drive lying around her closet.

AASP here

Your contacts are not doing a very good job of explaining things to you at this point... Without having your specific information, I would be assuming either

1. The store(s) you've contacted have not obtained the certifications for working on the 2017 iMac Pro

2. Apple currently does not have stock of the replacement part(s) needed to complete this repair.

Apple no longer cares if you've caused damage to the device by opening it up, basically we check with you if you caused damage, then remove any modifications you attempted and charge you as much as needed to replace anything damaged. Most stores avoid getting certified for new machines right away as it is time consuming, expensive and usually does not have a very good pay off -- lots of $$ up front, not much $$ generated.

The other thing could be that Apple simply does not have the glass panel or another item available right now. It's not unheard of, but unfortunately you cannot run a stock check without your model's S/N. ATM I would suggest LTT keeps this confidential as the last thing they want is 50 different cases opened in gsx.

Your best option right now is to get your case escalated to a senior Apple Care rep. Someone who has a direct phone number, email address and working hours that you can reach them during. They will be able to assist you in tracking down a store that has all the certifications required to do this repair.

Your based in BC, right? You've probably tried Simply Computing, but London Drugs Langley and Chilliwack are AASP authorized, and unofficially "The Hackery" in Vancouver specializes in eBay repairs. I work for another company who I will not bother naming as we are not authorized for this type of repair.

Hello, I work for a AASP in the United States, and not only do I have the certifications for the iMac Pro but can get parts for these units. The only thing I can think of is that Canada just isn’t there yet with these certifications and parts. I would recommend sending it to a place you trust in the US.  I would highly recommend a AASP as it would keep warranty after the repair is done. If it gets fixed with the wrong display or fake display it will void all help Apple can give you.  

Hope this helps. 

i get what linus tech tips mean, no oem fix type service from apple...you could ask BEST BUY geek squad to repair it, and Linus goes behinds the scenes and asked how they got it done 

Hey LTT people,

I've just watched your YouTube video. Sorry to hear that Apple cannot repair your iMac Pro.

My thought is, as parts are most likely coming from China, it's very possible to source one by yourself by finding people in China.

One way to through Taobao.com, the Chinese version of eBay.com.

I've searched a bit, but without knowing the exact part number of the screen, it's hard to find the proper panel.

However, do check these out:

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=iMac+Pro+5K+屏幕&imgfile=&js=1&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1&initiative_id=staobaoz_20180418&ie=utf8

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.192b37a90ATkmo&id=43214048160&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.74.192b37a90ATkmo&id=561287844303&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.62.192b37a90ATkmo&id=534111517352&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

The first one is the search results of 'iMac Pro 5K screen'. The other three links are three 5K screens, but it seems none of them may fit your latest iMac Pro.

However, it is possible to get in touch with some authorised service points, and ask the engineers there directly if they would be able to get one from the manufacturer. I think if you are able to pay the engineer some fees for his/her trouble to get a panel for you, then it can be mailed it to you to Canada.

With some luck, you might actually be able to find the exact part you need on Taobao.com.

Alternatively, it might be worth going to Shenzhen in person and go to Hua Qiang Bei region to talk to some third-party repair services. That part is perhaps the current capital of electronics in not only China but also the whole world (upgrading iPhone 6 storage without Apple originated there). With some luck, you might be able to find the right person to get you the panel but again extra money may be charged. (If you plan to do so make sure you get a Chinese person with you so you won't be overcharged by being just a foreigner.)

The above suggestion is based on my experience with Dell's terrible customer service here in the UK. Unfortunately, I am not in China at the moment so I may not be able to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Offtopic: where can i buy the same hoodie as at 3:50 timecode?

4 minutes ago, Kevin Hernandez said:

Hello, I work for a AASP in the United States, and not only do I have the certifications for the iMac Pro but can get parts for these units. The only thing I can think of is that Canada just isn’t there yet with these certifications and parts. I would recommend sending it to a place you trust in the US.  I would highly recommend a AASP as it would keep warranty after the repair is done. If it gets fixed with the wrong display or fake display it will void all help Apple can give you.  

Hope this helps. 

So basically you're saying that theres just not Canadian Rubles  in it for Apple to have tech support in Canada.

Wow.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

7 minutes ago, Zingyuet said:

Hey LTT people,

I've just watched your YouTube video. Sorry to hear that Apple cannot repair your iMac Pro.

My thought is, as parts are most likely coming from China, it's very possible to source one by yourself by finding people in China.

One way to through Taobao.com, the Chinese version of eBay.com.

I've searched a bit, but without knowing the exact part number of the screen, it's hard to find the proper panel.

However, do check these out:

https://s.taobao.com/search?q=iMac+Pro+5K + 屏幕 & imgfile=&js=1&stats_click=search_radio_all%3A1&initiative_id=staobaoz_20180418&ie=utf8

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.192b37a90ATkmo&id=43214048160&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.74.192b37a90ATkmo&id=561287844303&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.62.192b37a90ATkmo&id=534111517352&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

The first one is the search results of 'iMac Pro 5K screen'. The other three links are three 5K screens, but it seems none of them may fit your latest iMac Pro.

However, it is possible to get in touch with some authorised service points, and ask the engineers there directly if they would be able to get one from the manufacturer. I think if you are able to pay the engineer some fees for his/her trouble to get a panel for you, then it can be mailed it to you to Canada.

With some luck, you might actually be able to find the exact part you need on Taobao.com.

Alternatively, it might be worth going to Shenzhen in person and go to Hua Qiang Bei region to talk to some third-party repair services. That part is perhaps the current capital of electronics in not only China but also the whole world (upgrading iPhone 6 storage without Apple originated there). With some luck, you might be able to find the right person to get you the panel but again extra money may be charged. (If you plan to do so make sure you get a Chinese person with you so you won't be overcharged by being just a foreigner.)

The above suggestion is based on my experience with Dell's terrible customer service here in the UK. Unfortunately, I am not in China at the moment so I may not be able to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Hey guys, me again.

So on Taobao.com you are able to find panel for A1419. But I believe the latest iMac Pro is A1862, and I couldn't see any panel for A1862.

I don't know if thee A1419 panel would be compatible with your iMac Pro.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Hernandez said:

Hope this helps. 

Just double checked ATLAS.  My US based techID shows the 2017 iMac pro certification available to take. My Canadian based techID does not have that course available. I think Linus is just stuck on a glitch in apples system, not malicious intent or punishment for diy disassembly

Didn't you guys see the spark?  What if the repair requires beyond just the screen?  

The first several pages already gave him the solution where it didn't require him to DIY.

If this was in the UK then I would tell them that it isn't my problem that the support structure isn't in place or that the manuals aren't available that's on Apple and that they either repair my device or give me a new one as a replacement because as the consumer I am ALWAYS right.

Hey guys. I work with and mix Mac's all the time but I'm in. The UK. The best thing to suggest would be to go to eBay and there will be someone selling the display and other part but you would need to do it yourself. We have had so many mashines that applle refuse to fix and its a joke.(but good for business ???)

Sounds like Apple just wants to make you buy a brand new one. I bet though if we can get this vid trending on twitter through the hashtag #fixLinusiMac then maybe Apple is sure to see it. 

Get in touch with the youtube channel Strange Parts and get a display straight from Shenzhen in China.

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

As an Apple qualified tech, the only reason I can think off as to why it’s been refused is the AASP you went to has not completed the iMac pro exams just yet... Each major Apple product that comes out (iMac pro, Mac Pro 2017 with touch, MacBook 2017, etc) , AASP’s are required to complete an exam before they have the ability to order parts or have access to service manuals.... they don’t do the exam = they can’t order you the parts.... 

lcd you’re looking at about £700, mlb £480, psu £110 and then the sticker kit for sealing lcd £10... this is excluding VAT... 

I completed the exam 3 weeks ago and I’m able to all parts no issues and are available to AASP’s with relevant qualifications. So this is the only logical reason why repair has been declined... hope that shines some light.