Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

3 minutes ago, ReubenMcauliffeJones said:

What is different about it?

There are three connections from the display to the logic board, as opposed to the two on the non-pro models. They're different in a lot of ways, honestly.

Perhaps you could a nice video about dissolving the Mac in a vat of acid, in a crazy attempt to recycle the precious metals ??

You should really reach out to Scotty from the youtube channel Strange Parts. He lives in Shenzhen, China, which has a robust electronics market centered around the manufacturing done over there. That might be your best bet for getting the parts.

Would love to see that collab.

I think if there ever was an appropriate moment for Linus to follow in the footsteps of another famous Linus, this is it. Just replace Nvidia with Apple and reenact this epic scene:

Nvidia, fuck you

Edited by uLoop

Does iMac Pro use the same screen from the original 27 Inch 5K iMac? 

Why can't you guys buy a 5K Panel from the 27" Basic model? iFixit listed the Part Number in their guide:

LM270QQ1

if you Google -er Amazon it. You get this part:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-A1419-LM270QQ1-SDB1-Screen-Display/dp/B01LVU2CEA

Note: This is iFixit saying that the models look similar, but since I don't have both the broken screen and the new screen in front of me its hard to tell... Maybe you guys can check the screens via pictures from the iFixit Teardown and Amazon to see if the connectors and such are the same.

Note: Also, see if you can get the part number from your broken screen and contact LG.

I can potentially see Apple pulling some strings due to this video just to save their image but please try and speak for the rest of us as you progress through this issue. If you can, use consumer rights in some way, don't let Apple simply fix yours to try and bury this situation else nothing will change and the next person will get screwed.

Honestly, the only option may be able to buy a new iMac at this point, or go to different Apple stores in the area that can help not (AASP)

33 minutes ago, FraznoFire said:

Don’t you have customer laws in Canada that force the manufacturer to give you a refund/replacement?

Most consumer laws do not apply in cases where the device was accidentally damaged.

There are laws in the US requiring that when you sell a new thing that its fit for purpose (implied warranty of fitness for purpose).  There's a deadline for availing yourself of the automatic implied warranty, however.   If I remember right, if you sue and win, you can also win attorney's fees.

And the FTC just got mad at a bunch of companies for violating other implied warranties from the same act (Mangusson Moss Act).  See from their own site:  https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

Would it be possible to build a custom PC inside? Could be a fun little project to see if standard hardware can compete with Apple's in the same form factor.

5 minutes ago, themainmanroot said:

hey linus cant you just google the part number and buy it from that 

apple aren't like other oems, this will be a custom part and they wont just have it for sale anywhere, you would have to go through their channels

Can't you  try to find the signal connections on the display ribben cable and make a DIY connection to a 4K display?

CPU: Intel Core i3 4150 3.5GHz Socket 1150 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Have you tried reaching out to Apple's Media Relations team? 

Guys i have just done the same to my imac pro here in scotland (to be fair it wasnt deliberate, i just dropped the feckin thing moving it to another desk). Problem is that it belongs to my work to allow me to work from home. When i told them about it i offered to get get it fixed at the apple store myself and pay for the repair. 

When i booked in an appointment etc i got the same run around from the apple store in glasgow. They said the repair has been actively refused. 

So i told my work who then decided to contact their apple buissness partner (whoever that is) and they said that they would take it off our hands and get it repaired. So two weeks pass with no communications and then the imac pro turns up at my front door, unrepaired and no documentation other than a delivery note. 

My Company then contacted apple through their buisness account and still no reply and no update, it is now 3 weeks later and still nothing and we now have 5 iMac pro units awaiting repair (various faults on them ranging from failed boot device to not powering on) on top of this, we have 4 iphone X's outstanding for repair (we have sent them away but not had them back). 

Just so you know the company i work for can easily spend £250,000 to £750,000 in one transaction with apple and this is the service we are getting. We have just cancelled a £120,000 order and gave it to someone else as a direct result of this 

Our directors have started looking elsewhere for a more permanent option so we dont have to use apple products and run into this problem again.

It seems like there is major deficiencies behind the scenes at apple 

Ryzen 5 1500X @3.8GHz | WD 8GB DDR4 2400 | WD GREEN 120GB M.2 | ASUS STRIX ROG B350 | COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE 5 | COOLERMASTER 240mm RAD

Perhaps u can contact( strange parts) YouTuber 

who customize apple products

maybe he will be able to find parts needed to repair IMAC pro hope this helps

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Hi Linus Tech Media Group,

I work at an APR (Apple Premium Reseller) in the UK and thought i could weight in with some knowledge for you.

It is possible that due to the nature of your repair, apple can refuse to fix your machine. Just like they would refuse to change the battery in an iPhone if it has had a third party battery put in previously, your machine has been opened up and for an iMac, this technically isn't meant to be done by anyone who isn't an authorised apple trained technician. This could be why they are being funny about repairing it.

As they mentioned to you, if you were to go to an APR or any third-party apple shop in Canada which does authorised apple repairs, they could order the parts for you and do the repair at their discretion. Having witnessed first hand these kinds of experiences i also know that it is difficult for apple stores or APRs to order more than one component for a machine as this is a rare assurance and so apple do tend to question why this is being done.

I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, jaimeruiz3 said:

What are the parts that are broken? Maybe check compatibility with the 5K iMac display, I think they are the same but I don't know if the connectors and other hardware are compatible. Maybe ask the iFixit guys

Parts aren’t the same, different connectors and other locations on the logic board. The facetime camera on the iMac Pro is adhered to the display so that’s no option I guess. 

Seriously, guys, you should contact and try to do a collab with Scotty from the Strange Parts channel on Youtube. He has done things like add a headphone jack to an iPhone 7, as well as upgrade a 16 GB iPhone to a 128 GB iPhone. He lives in Shenzhen, and has access to virtually every Apple part available. I bet he could find and send you what you needed, or you could send him the Pro and he could fix it. Either way it would be a cool collaboration.

Edit: AAAND just saw someone already posted this. The point is still good, though. 

You could find a guy who does custom glass or laser cut some new stuff. Or summon the ghost of Steve jobs to curse their hellish business plans.

If you don’t mind sending it over to Europe... I’m a certified technician at an Apple Premium Reseller and service provider. Also certified to service the iMac Pro