Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

I am part of an AASP company, and certified in all Apple Devices for repairs, and I want to start by saying that it is quite a nightmare to go through Repairs and get parts needed for repairs. 

To start, just going through the process to get parts ordered takes forever. It doesn't matter if you know for certain which part is needed, you have to go through their troubleshooting guides which are both a nightmare in their wording, and send you in circles when it comes to testing. 

Second, I have done a repair for the iMac pro recently (within the past 3 weeks) and was able to get a Logic Board, Screen and Power Supply without issue. Granted I am in NYC so it is possible they had a supplier close by. The repair process was a pain (as are most Apple Repairs) and the turn around time you have to do the repair is only 10 days. That means from the moment you receive the part, you have 10 days to install it, serialize it in the system and send the old part back for shipping. 10 days doesn't seem like a short amount of time, but when the part you ordered requires other parts that are broken to test, 10 days flies by. 

Third, in my 5 years of doing Apple Repairs, I have never had them turn around and tell me they weren't able to receive the part and thus the repair would be decline. What most likely happened, and what I have seen in the past, is that the store had no certified employees for iMac Pro repairs, so none of them were able to order the needed parts. If that isn't the case, then you were straight up lied to. From the day the product is available for shipping, items are available for order (I have had this happen on multiple ocassions, including the day 1 release of the Mac Pro Trash Can video card recall). 

Lastly, the parts you need to replace are a complete pain. With Apple's new Security in-place, and with High Sierra, getting everything to function properly blows. There are issues with screen brightness, drives not running at proper speeds, etc.. I wouldn't be surprised if you do get this thing repaired, that you won't have issues at a later date. 

Hopefully you guys can find an AASP within a short drive of you to have the part(s) ordered and repaired. Granted, the repair cost for a screen, logic board and PSU are going to be pretty insane. 

My suggestion would be for Linus to reach out to Larry O’Connor of OWC computing.  

If anything, I would wager he knows someone who could put Linus on the right path to a solution. 

everyone tweet apple if enough of a stink is made LTT might get it fixed

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

2 minutes ago, Diglio said:

I am part of an AASP company, and certified in all Apple Devices for repairs, and I want to start by saying that it is quite a nightmare to go through Repairs and get parts needed for repairs. 

To start, just going through the process to get parts ordered takes forever. It doesn't matter if you know for certain which part is needed, you have to go through their troubleshooting guides which are both a nightmare in their wording, and send you in circles when it comes to testing. 

Second, I have done a repair for the iMac pro recently (within the past 3 weeks) and was able to get a Logic Board, Screen and Power Supply without issue. Granted I am in NYC so it is possible they had a supplier close by. The repair process was a pain (as are most Apple Repairs) and the turn around time you have to do the repair is only 10 days. That means from the moment you receive the part, you have 10 days to install it, serialize it in the system and send the old part back for shipping. 10 days doesn't seem like a short amount of time, but when the part you ordered requires other parts that are broken to test, 10 days flies by. 

Third, in my 5 years of doing Apple Repairs, I have never had them turn around and tell me they weren't able to receive the part and thus the repair would be decline. What most likely happened, and what I have seen in the past, is that the store had no certified employees for iMac Pro repairs, so none of them were able to order the needed parts. If that isn't the case, then you were straight up lied to. From the day the product is available for shipping, items are available for order (I have had this happen on multiple ocassions, including the day 1 release of the Mac Pro Trash Can video card recall). 

Lastly, the parts you need to replace are a complete pain. With Apple's new Security in-place, and with High Sierra, getting everything to function properly blows. There are issues with screen brightness, drives not running at proper speeds, etc.. I wouldn't be surprised if you do get this thing repaired, that you won't have issues at a later date. 

Hopefully you guys can find an AASP within a short drive of you to have the part(s) ordered and repaired. Granted, the repair cost for a screen, logic board and PSU are going to be pretty insane. 

So crApple is basically saying what was said earlier in this thread.. fuck you, buy another one.

21 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Ok, this might sound stupid but i think the 2016/2017 iMacs 5K displays are compatible with iMac Pro. So in theory, you could just buy a broken iMac 5K 2016 or newer with working screen.

Haha, was gonna make a louis rossman reference but Linus himself beat me to it. xD

But yeah, Apple will be Apple.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

7 minutes ago, FL3XI said:
You should invite Louis Rossman to a hangout call in the wan show and interview him about apples repair policy.

I second this!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, Diglio said:

What have they changed with system security? I sold a 2013 MacBook Air which I replaced the motherboard a couple years ago, would hate to hear it won't work now. At least I sold it really cheap.

Where's @DrMacintosh? He should be coming to Apple's rescue..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Definitely a disappointment on #teamApple. That being said, I don't think this would really wreck their standing with their user-base which is also kind of sad but hey, that's the power of branding. 

Just now, jaimeruiz3 said:

What have they changed with system security? I sold a 2013 MacBook Air which I replaced the motherboard a couple years ago, would hate to hear it won't work now. At least I sold it really cheap.

It's specifically with replaced screens. The latest version of High Sierra is disabling brightness controls on screens that were replaced on MacBooks. Louis Rossman recently talked about this in a video regarding the same thing Apple is pulling with iPhones.

3 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

They didn't really give us any official reasoning other than "HQ told us to stop working on it". When we reached out to an AASP, they said there's a months-long wait list on parts availability, along with the lack of certification for technicians.

To clarify a bit further, the screen is at this point destroyed. The logic board may or may not be OK, and the power supply seems OK. Basically we listed those parts by going off what the Apple store told us their troubleshooting steps were going to be, and the fact that their replacing the PSU (the one step they managed to complete before being told to stop) didn't help.

Yeah to me this sounds like Apple giving you guys the middle finger for being a public figure and taking apart their machine. I've worked for Apple in the past and never heard of anything like this happening. Honestly I would just barrage them with phone calls until you get someone willing to give you a CS code (Customer Sanctification code). A CS code depending on what is approved, can cover the cost of a repair or the replacement. In this case since they are refusing to repair, you should push for a CS code that will replace the unit. You guys being the public figure that you are, can turn this into a PR nightmare for them. 

Trying to source the parts third party I dont think will be a viable option. If Apple doesnt even have the parts, 3rd party parts arent going to be available. AT this point probably best to try and get in touch with someone who can help. Apple Support is all from the states, I would try to contact Apple Canada, I do have some contacts there if you need them, I can try to dig them out. But contact Apple Canada because that is going to be a better option at this point in my opinion.

im not surprised they pull that kinda stuff i repair phones tablets computers etc and apple is the only company that does this they make their products fail when fixed by third parties and on top of that they dont repair most of the issues with their products its unbelievable that this is legal way to go apple 

thats why i will never buy their products again

1 minute ago, jaimeruiz3 said:

probably the same as the iPhone 8 issue with the replaced screens: parts have chip, chips have a unique ID, update comes out, during the update the OS checks the IDs for the stuff attached to it, ID don't match with what it shipped, Apple sends you a letter with a middle finger in it.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Hi Linus,

Hi Team,

ever tryed using a iMac 5K-display? 

Greeitings from Germany

Marc Hinrichs

LTT is a major reviewer you should approach them with the intent of reviewing it 

1 minute ago, MarciMarc said:

Hi Linus,

Hi Team,

ever tryed using a iMac 5K-display? 

Greeitings from Germany

Marc Hinrichs

Those older monitors will not work. Even if the panel fits the connections on said panel are in different spots it would be a Frankenstein fix if one were possible.

This is just ridiculous. I am going to take extra care of my imac pro or else I'll get screwed over by Apple. I also bought apple care with it so I don't even know if that will affect anything.

U can maybe buy a broken Mac with working screen for cheap somewhere

I worked as an Apple Genius in the US until May of last year, so I can provide a little insight as to the internal guidance for support on newly release Macs and other products. Generally speaking, whenever a new product was released we would not receive repair guides and or parts for 1 week - 2 months after a product was released. Additionally, there was a significant push to move a lot of support from in store repairs and 3rd parties (the repair volumes were astronomical thereby making turnaround time extraordinarily long) to a designated repair facility. The unintended consequence of this was that parts supplies became increasingly restricted across all products (even for iMacs which are not eligible to be sent to the repair facility). The guidance in retail for most products (excluding iPhones, as carrier contracts complicate the return process) was to do a serialized return with manager authorization and swap it for a brand new item (as, in the US at least, we are legally obliged to follow our warranty policy). I still have a few friends higher up in the company at the Cupertino HQ that I can contact as well. The best part of Apple Retail was the customer focussed mindset, the staff and leaders tended to care a lot more about giving customers a positive experience than honoring every rule and policy. It pains me to see this particular experience so blatantly violate the lifecycle of an Apple Customer.