Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

This is turning into a drama like the soaps during the day on tv.

As Linus Tech Tips Turns

Days of LTT Lives

The Young and Linus

The Beatiful then Linus

General LTT

xD

*Yes I had to search "Daytime Soaps TV" to get the titles.

:ph34r:

Joined the forum to cast my vote for teaming up with Scott from Strange Parts.  This would be soooooo good.  A perfect match for this project.  

The serial number would be a great help to give you a price for the screen

I too have this problem. I got ahold of support and I went off on them because if you release a new product then you better have the resources and parts and manpower readily available to the customer. People dont buy almost 2000 dollar computers just for the manufacturer to deny helping to fix said computers

On 4/17/2018 at 2:59 PM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Hey, out of curiosity, have you guys taken it to Microcenter? I don’t know where you guys are based out of. But If there is one near you I would try them. Ask to speak to the KM (knowledge manager) or an Apple tech about the situation. 

11 minutes ago, The Dark Swordsman said:

ReviewTech's video was on point.

What about the ones that dont give a fuck, in terms of the video stating the sides.

5 hours ago, The Dark Swordsman said:

ReviewTech's video was on point. Please watch the whole thing

Nope by 6 mins in even has some stuff wrong. 

If its to much to fix why did the service center or apple tell them the estimated cost. 

No way the screen logic board and PSU cost as much as the hole thing because that is missing the CPU and ram+SSD easily over 2K combined. 

also his statement that apple doesn't have to repair it because you broke the ELUA is false in the US. the FTC just said that if they make it and its over 20$ they have to have a way for you to repair it. 

This also looks to be an apple Canada f--- up.

Edited by GDRRiley
added more

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 4/17/2018 at 4:04 PM, Denthar48 said:

Hey hey,

I work for a AASP on Vancouver Island. I'd be happy to look into this for you. I personally am iMac Pro certified. My store has not ordered parts for iMac Pro's, but I dont see why we wouldn't be able to order parts and repair it for you. Shoot me an email: marc{at}ultimactechnologies.ca, 

Hi Marc! Your store serviced an older 27" iMac for a business client I work for a few years back. Apple ended up completely replacing it because the GPU failed, but you guys were still awesome to drive to Nanaimo, pick up the broken iMac, and run diagnostics on Apple's behalf, especially since a trip to the Apple store from our Island is at minimum $150-$200 CAD in gas, time, and ferry travel.

If @LinusTech or @nicklmg haven't yet made any headway with Edzel's (or anyone else's) contacts, I'd say you guys would be the last hope, as far as reliable and quality AASP's go, but I fear it is exactly as they've stated in the video: parts are just simple "not available" or too difficult to acquire, essentially making Apple's iMac's completely non-eco-friendly throwaway products. :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It's important to remember LLT is a media company. Whatever the solution, they're gonna chose the route that produces the best video, especially with the press behind it.

And as they said last Friday, the best thing possible is a  collab with Louis Rossmann. These other repair centers and techs reaching out to try and help are nice and all, but they would lack that gritty feel to give it a hefty, climactic rebel third act to the narrative. It's about the story, not about just getting certified new replacement parts and screwing them together. Yawn. Plus... I don't know what the actual realized economics would be for the press, but it might just be worth it for some other repair center to spend $10K on an iMac Pro and cannibalize it for parts for Linus just for the advertisement & business generated ($10K/$400 = 25 repair jobs) - which doesn't really spotlight the underlying problem with this whole debacle: Apple's phlegmatic apathy towards providing adequate support for their own systems.

But... since Rossmann normally repairs things with available schematics and available replacement chips, diodes, resistors, etc - it might not be possible for him to do that for something so new without slaving over everything without a schematic, boardview, and having to order chips that repair centers don't currently carry. This would make the repair a bit extensive, but there also might be a couple of videos involved, one where Louis goes over the stuff in New York before them doing a repair/assembly in Canada.

On 4/18/2018 at 2:59 AM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8DQrSp5yEP937qNqTooOw

this guy runs a channel called Strange Parts. he might be able to help you get all the parts u need

At this point you should just use it as a prop for whenever linus gets annoyed at something.

Nvidia releases a superfluous card that no-one asked for?

Kick the iMac!

Intel being douchbags and releasing mobo unlock keys?

Kick the iMac!

@CPotter forget some information in the WAN Show doc?

Kick the iMac!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Make a Hackintosh (beige box that runs OSX) to recover the Data that you can't access, or Drop some money and get a display port monitor and use external video to verify that the board is shot.  then make a hack to recover data.

PS having watched many of your videos, I am sure that you have the gear laying around to make a hack that will recover your stuff.

14 hours ago, GCS-John said:

Make a Hackintosh (beige box that runs OSX) to recover the Data that you can't access, or Drop some money and get a display port monitor and use external video to verify that the board is shot.  then make a hack to recover data.

PS having watched many of your videos, I am sure that you have the gear laying around to make a hack that will recover your stuff.

they're not trying to recover any data, they just want to fix it to sell it on

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, GabenJr said:

Contact tim cook or have someone who works off camera bring it to an apple store and just say you don't know what happened to it. more then likely the will fix it then

On 4/17/2018 at 11:59 AM, GabenJr said:

Well....

In the automotive industry, a car manufacturer needs to provide support to a vehicle (parts, etc) for a minimum of X amount of years. So if Fiat sold a Fiat vehicle in america, It couldn't just bail out and stop supporting the vehicle as they wished. I know this because I met the former owner of Central Ford in Framingham Massachusetts, and we used to talk alot. I don't see why he'd lie to me. I tried to search online for the specific regulation to give you the exact amount of years but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I am assuming, the computer industry is probably regulated as well... Or not. I wonder what would happen if you filed a small claim in court vs apple. Not only I believe their action of not supporting your computer is proof of horrible customer support + a reason not to buy anything from apple. They want you to have to buy a brand new computer. Really ? This is unethical.

I am glad I am anti apple. I use Windows, Linux, Unix, Android, and even MSDOS (for playing worms), but I was never an apple guy. People call me almost everyday to replace their Iphone screens, apple notebook screens, etc etc, and I am proud to say "Sorry, I don't work with Apple". !!!!! :D

Good luck with your case, leave us updated. And if you do take it to court, please know that even though there will be signs saying you cant record, you can! It's your constitutional right !

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Tang Li said:

In the automotive industry, a car manufacturer needs to provide support to a vehicle (parts, etc) for a minimum of X amount of years.

I believe it is ten years.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Funny thing was, Apple actually emailed on 20th April about their new "GiveBack" program...

Like anybody is going to trust a company who won't fix their stuff - now they want users to trade-in their old devices?!

On 4/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, GCS-John said:

Drop some money

yeah this isnt about money really, Linus has plenty of it.

hard to say but I think he knew the buzz would last on his video to rake in the money

On 28/04/2018 at 11:25 AM, maxanthony84 said:

they're not trying to recover any data, they just want to fix it to sell it on

Or keep. It has had a 4k/5k display. :P

On 09/05/2018 at 12:12 PM, TechyBen said:

Or keep. It has had a 4k/5k display. :P

They said in the video they want to flip it on craigslist 

Hey Linus, Try to Replace the glas only, like a refurbished iphone screen, i might work. personaly i have never tried it.