Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

Just now, asus killer said:

you actually got that backwards. At least if it were in Europe if some regulatory entity ruled that illegal, apple has to comply or can be fined. Then apple can take the regulation to court if they don't agree with it. They can pay the fines and still not repair, but it's Aplle that has to put the FCC in court not the other way around.

Either way, Apple is doing nothing now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple wouldn't do it because LMG lost the right to get that repair.

No Apple didn't have a support structure in place (i.e the parts were not available and they didn't have technicians with the proper training).

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

No Apple didn't have a support structure in place

It doesn't matter. The terms and conditions specifically state that any unauthorized "repair" aka LMG breaking the iMac, voids the right to a repair from Apple. 

Period. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

The terms and conditions specifically state that any unauthorized "repair" aka LMG breaking the iMac

If that's the case why weren't they turned away when they dropped the product off at the store?

The person booking them into a slot would have seen the product in pieces, yet they (LMG) were told everything would be fine and it would be fixed in a jiffy.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

yet they (LMG) were told everything would be fine and it would be fixed in a jiffy.

And that Apple rep was wrong

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

And that Apple rep was wrong

Apple were wrong, not the rep but the whole company. 

زندگی از چراغ

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Apple were wrong, not the rep but the whole company. 

ok

53 minutes ago, Alexandra Moldovia said:

Actually again recent ftc rulings may disagree with you.

The FTC rulings would apply to Warranty repairs. In this case, it is 100% Not a warranty repair due to user-inflicted/accidental damage. The FTC ruling means nothing here, so Apple is fully within their rights to choose to not repair the product. Warranty coverage covers defects after all, not accidental damage.

Further, I'm not aware of any legislation that mandates Apple must make available replacement parts to even their own service centers (let alone third-parties). If Apple felt like it, they could literally order only what is needed to meet demand, and not have any spare components at all left to make repairs.

I have some disdain for Apple's iron grip on supllies of spare parts, however, beyond Apple feeling uncharacteristically charitable, Linus's only recourse is to find a third party willing to pull the right strings to get the part(s) required, short of calling it a total loss and moving on (which may actually be less expensive if considerable man hours were spent on trying to find the parts).

The latest wan show does seem to indicate some hope in locating the components however, and even hints at a potential collaboration with Louis Rossmann.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Again, and I'm going off what the store actually wrote down. 

They got the iMac, LMG admitted to having disassembled it and explained the issues. They took it in because, if the repair can be done, they would do whatever they could with the iMac but would give LMG a new one at the cost of the repair.

They decided not to do this because of extent of the damage, because it breaches the T&C's. Of course this kind of situation (especially with an iMac Pro) doesn't happen every day so they had to take the computer in, inspect it and then see what the managers and the Engineers said.

This is like you taking your car to your manufacturer to fix an engine problem but you already installed a 3rd party fuel pump, starter engine and other parts. Any company in a similar situation can decline the service. In Apple's case, they needed to see first instead of flat-out denying right away.

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple must make available replacement parts to even their own service centers

It's clear though that this center has failings. They took in a product that they saw in pieces, said everything would fine and dandy and then realized at the last minuet that this product cannot be repaired because there is no proper support structure for it. 

زندگی از چراغ

11 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It's clear though that this center has failings. They took in a product that they saw in pieces, said everything would fine and dandy and then realized at the last minuet that this product cannot be repaired because there is no proper support structure for it. 

Yes, this I'm in agreement with, though as there was no monetary damages that occured as a result of the mistake the employee(s) of this service center made, nor was there any breach of contract I'm aware of, I don't think going the legal route to force Apple to enact repairs would prove successful.

Though I suppose a very good attorney could try to claim that the text exchange between the service rep and Linus constitutes a binding contract. I strongly doubt this would hold up in court however.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Yes, this I'm in agreement with, though as there was no monetary damages that occured as a result of the mistake the employee(s) of this service center made, nor was there any breach of contract I'm aware of, I don't think going the legal route to force Apple to enact repairs would prove successful.

Though I suppose a very good attorney could try to claim that the text exchange between the service rep and Linus constitutes a binding contract. I strongly doubt this would hold up in court however.

I don't think Linus would actually want to go through the legal route, all he wants is it to be fixed so he can flip it on Craigslist.

زندگی از چراغ

There is an Apple authorized service provider where I live (Nevada, not getting too specific in public to protect them) that has taken care of me when I have done questionable things to Macs. Might be worth it to contact them. 

I had a MacBook Pro that I bought in 2011, and it was part of a class action over solder cracking in the GPU. So when the logic board failed in 2016, it was a free repair because of this. The issue is I had heavily modified the MacBook. More RAM, SSD, and most of all I had drilled “speed holes” in the bottom of the case over the fans. 

This shop took it in, fudged the serial number, put a donor bottom on from another MacBook, sent it in and it came back repaired. They put my RAM back in, and my bottom back on and sent me on my merry way. Great shop imho.

Again keeping specifics on the DL, but I’ll happily give you guys contact information if requested privately. 

Ok so I got a willing friend at apple  email me @rileysphotoandvideo@gmail.com

Linus and team,

I'm an admin at an AASP in the states. I've check in GSX and the part is available and that I'm certified in the iMac Pro (2017). Please contact me and I can do our best help you!

Nic A. 

9 hours ago, MattMatt said:

Their goal is to make you buy a brand new product...

Yes, because after receiving such poor customer service from a company, the first thing on my mind is to rush out and buy the exact same product from the very company which pissed me off...

FYI - I have run into this issue on other Apple systems and I do have a work around plan. 

Nic A.

On 4/18/2018 at 12:29 AM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

try buying the required parts from chinese websites like ebay, alibaba, aliexpress, banggood, etc

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-27-LCD-Display-screen-for_60387220916.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.79ec17536yJfQg

why the fuck apple does this man? 

i mean wtf???

LWmCGbukGWo9DDtPhonkYF5HExsfPdYZtBALHa4TQHI.jpg.f625fab811d381abb2a26a0e0912f775.jpg

/s

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

My first sad mac with hex code back in the 80s cured me of ever wanting to deal with Apple EVER again.  I see they have not given up on their blundering numbskullery. At least you could call the minutely 900 tech line and they'd st least help you ID a root cause. Now they just won't take your money. Sorry man, us make sure this info became as widely available as possible.  Love your work, keep it up!

The guy in this video does the best job of summing up the situation I've seen so far. Both Linus and Apple made serious errors.

That said, at least in the SSA (Squabbling States of America; we have never been truly united), Apple's no tampering, repair by Apple only with Apple only parts, etc. policies may be endangered. Farmers have been having to put up with the same nonsense from John Deere, etc. over farm equipment and it is currently being fought in the courts. Based on existing laws, such as Magnuson-Moss, the farmers are the ones more likely to prevail. The FTC has already sent out warning notices to companies in other fields that continuing similar practices may result in litigation.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

28 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The guy in this video does the best job of summing up the situation I've seen so far. Both Linus and Apple made serious errors.

Thanks for the link on that one. I like his style, subscribed!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!