Apple REFUSED to Fix our iMac Pro

10 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Then they should probably say so.

Personally, I have had excellent experience with Apple support. They have replaced my 2011 iMac when it developed screen problems, my iPhone 6s+ when it had a dead motherboard, and my series 2 Apple Watch when it had chipping issues. All replaced. 

Apple’s response does seem like it’s severely lacking, but I do believe there is a legitimate reason behind their current decision not to service the iMac Pro. I am not sure if we will ever be getting an official response from Apple in this regard though. 

Linus,

Not sure if you have already found a resolution or not. If not, please contact me via email. I work at a facility for repairing products. I also have direct connection with plenty of Supply Quality Engineers, Senior Software Engineers and Customer Relations/Executive Relations Team for Apple. There are actually Executives/Quality Engineers at my place of work right now that I can talk with to see what they can do.

I can escalate this situation, if need be.

Redreghan@gmail.com

So... I found the case. 

So basically what happened was that the store was willing to give a new iMac at the cost of the repair (800$) but during the repair of the original, they found damage such as scratches on the PCB and a broken chin strap. 

Because of this, they consulted Apple Engineering who said that, because of that, the offer for the new Mac would have to be revoked because of the amount of tampering on the unit. The fact that the store can't order parts is because the unit has been flagged on the system, NOT because the parts can't be ordered, because they can in normal circumstances. Its the same policy like when you ask them to fix a jailbroken or customised iPhone. 

Apple executives were made aware and were about to speak to LTT but decided against it because nobody at LTT actually reached out to Apple other than via generic phone support. But regardless, the decision would be the same, as the final response was given by Engineering. 

This may change if someone at LTT gets in touch with Apple but that's what actually happened. 

I would appreciate if this info doesn't spread too much (NDA's are still NDA's). 

Hey Linus 

I have to be honest i had to smile while watching your Viideo!

But we could absolutely help you out, we have 3 Certified Macintosh Technicians with the iMac Pro Certificate we already had 1 iMac Pro which we did fail to fix. But we could order the Parts. So if you are stil looking for help we got you!

There is only 1  Problem we are from switzerland, and of course we would have to fix the iMac Pro ourself we can not sell iMac Pro Parts or any parts at all.

Let me know if your that desprate to make a trip to switzerland and come get ur iMac fixed!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, abazigal said:

Personally, I have had excellent experience with Apple support. They have replaced my 2011 iMac when it developed screen problems, my iPhone 6s+ when it had a dead motherboard, and my series 2 Apple Watch when it had chipping issues. All replaced. 

Apple’s response does seem like it’s severely lacking, but I do believe there is a legitimate reason behind their current decision not to service the iMac Pro. I am not sure if we will ever be getting an official response from Apple in this regard though. 

How someone reacts to the problem and not the actual problem can be a deal breaker. crApple's reaction just reinforces all the support issues numerous blogger and vloggers have talked about over the years, if there was an issue come out and say... look, it'll cost far more to repair just buy another one. Not this bullshit because if me, average Joe, buys a crApple product what will our experience be? If a large media company can't get satisfaction there is no fuckin way I'll ever get any sort of satisfaction from crApple support.

From my previous experience working for Apple, if your machine isn't vintage or obsolete (5-7 years old) and they are not able to source parts for the repair regardless of warranty status for a period of 90 days, they are supposed to replace the machine with the current like model for the original cost of the repair or allow you to pay the difference if you want a differently specced model.

Huffington Post submitted an interesting article about this issue earlier today, since Apple is nowhere near the first or last company to employ cavalier behaviour in Canada when it comes to tech support.

Today I have called both authorized Apple certified repair centres (one official, one licenced). Official said "We have replacement screen right now, but we need to check in house everything and ask HQ if we can use parts to fix it. Because of mechanical damage and opened device Apple is allowed not just revoke your international warranty, but also ban serial number to not get any authorized service in Apple certified repair places. Our technicians are trained to repair your device and put it back in best condition as they can." But licenced one said "We need to put our hands on it, do initial investigation and after that we should be able to order parts, we are unable to check if we have replacement parts or no right now. Please ship us your device to do our investigation. Also if repair cost will be 1/3 of device price we can refuse to repair and we will suggest you to do documents backup and reupload it on your new device." Of course I went to official Apple shop and asked them about your situation. Answer was almost the same like repair centre, but they said "If repair centre do not have required parts, they are not holding device and technician should inform you via email to ship your device again when they will get replacement part. Current waiting list for iMac Pro parts is 4-6 weeks. We saw hugh demand on replacement screens so waiting time will be longer, maybe 2-3 months. Apple is currently focusing on new devices manufacturing as we know."

I live in Vilnius, Lithuania (Small country near Baltic sea). Of course, If you want to ship it to me to take it to my country Apple repair centre, message me (you have my contacts).

Well I suggest you boot your hard drive at someone's mac to get your data then learn from your  mistakes ,, get yourself a PC !

option 1 louis rossmann

option 2 snazzy labs did a vid on this mac upgrade he might help 

option 3 buy another broken imac nd swap parts 

I love how the usual LTT Apple fan boys didn't even try to argue any thing on this thread as it is so clear of a mess up this is.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If it can't be repaired, make it a meme in the videos for every single failure you have on camera, ensure someone edits the iMac Pro into it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 18/04/2018 at 4:59 AM, GabenJr said:

WE broke our iMac Pro... But then we tried to PAY Apple to repair it. They REFUSED. Come with us on a journey of frustration...

Buy(?) an iMac Pro on Amazon: http://geni.us/eSNg9q

Under the Australian Consumer Law:

58 Guarantee as to repairs and spare parts

(1) If:

(a) a person supplies, in trade or commerce, goods to a consumer; and

(b) the supply does not occur by way of sale by auction;

there is a guarantee that the manufacturer of the goods will take reasonable action to ensure that facilities for the repair of the goods, and parts for the goods, are reasonably available for a reasonable period after the goods are supplied.

(2) This section does not apply if the manufacturer took reasonable action to ensure that the consumer would be given written notice, at or before the time when the consumer agrees to the supply of the goods, that:

(a) facilities for the repair of the goods would not be available or would not be available after a specified period; or

(b) parts for the goods would not be available or would not be available after a specified period.’

There is more information in the link below:

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/treating-customers-fairly/repairs-spare-parts

On 4/17/2018 at 1:29 PM, Private said:

Take it to another store somewhere else or in a different state/country etc.

Canada does not have states, they have provinces, but Linus could take it to Washington state since its the closest border but what a hassle it would be as the lineups would be quite long. Now on the otherhand if Linus were to be doing business somewhere, anywhere, that he goes often, then he could drop it off there and go from there.

Hi I've talked to my friend who owns operates and works in an Apple Certified Repair Store and he explained the following to me

in Short - Apple launched the iMac Pro too early 

Apple doesn't repair things when serviced by an unauthorised technician because if their first-party repair fails or anything happens after their repair it damages the reputation and certification of their repair service which is why they redirect you to a 3rd party (who is certified) in these types of situations.

Apple had released this pro certification and it has indeed existed since December and the parts finally became available in March (Late since the product launched last year)

The problem lies in that few 3rd parties will go through the effort of Pro certification when they may not ever need to use as if you put yourself in their shoes, iMac Pro's aren't a common computer of choice and very few people would buy it, so the chances of a potential customer are already very slim, espeacilly once you realise this is an all in one which would sit in the same spot and be moved at most once or twice a year, and given the type of people who would buy this product (wealthy) they would not violate apple's policy and just get it repaired through Apple if they did happen to damage the iMac Pro.

In summary, the chances of someone breaking an iMac Pro and then be needing or wanting to go to a 3rd party and then becoming a potential customer to a single 3rd party is virtually none. I wouldn't be surprised if Linus is the only person in the world. 

Thus why the hell would the 3rd party go through the time and effort for pro certification.

Luckily for you Linus you can make a pr debacle and I am sure Apple would bend down or a 3rd party would go through the effort to do pro certification for you given your social position.

Worst Case scenario just sell the iMac Pro with a Linus and team members card and signature on the iMac Pro and you'd be able to get your money back 

Problem Solved

This is still pretty ridiculous on Apple's part here with their "holier than thou" attitude to everything you should really create a PR debacle and force their hand it could really make things easier in the future 

3 hours ago, Aks Walia said:

Hi I've talked to my friend who owns operates and works in an Apple Certified Repair Store and he explained the following to me

in Short - Apple launched the iMac Pro too early 

Apple doesn't repair things when serviced by an unauthorised technician because if their first-party repair fails or anything happens after their repair it damages the reputation and certification of their repair service which is why they redirect you to a 3rd party (who is certified) in these types of situations.

Apple had released this pro certification and it has indeed existed since December and the parts finally became available in March (Late since the product launched last year)

The problem lies in that few 3rd parties will go through the effort of Pro certification when they may not ever need to use as if you put yourself in their shoes, iMac Pro's aren't a common computer of choice and very few people would buy it, so the chances of a potential customer are already very slim, espeacilly once you realise this is an all in one which would sit in the same spot and be moved at most once or twice a year, and given the type of people who would buy this product (wealthy) they would not violate apple's policy and just get it repaired through Apple if they did happen to damage the iMac Pro.

In summary, the chances of someone breaking an iMac Pro and then be needing or wanting to go to a 3rd party and then becoming a potential customer to a single 3rd party is virtually none. I wouldn't be surprised if Linus is the only person in the world. 

Thus why the hell would the 3rd party go through the time and effort for pro certification.

Luckily for you Linus you can make a pr debacle and I am sure Apple would bend down or a 3rd party would go through the effort to do pro certification for you given your social position.

Worst Case scenario just sell the iMac Pro with a Linus and team members card and signature on the iMac Pro and you'd be able to get your money back 

Problem Solved

Cats exist.

The fact it's designed it's meant to be stationary doesn't mean much lol

Apparently, there is some clause which states that if you render the device inoperable due to unauthorised modifications, you will have to purchase a brand new device? 

In short, Linus screwed up, Apple was not wrong to not service his iMac Pro in accordance with their own policies, and this isn't an issue which can be solved by simply throwing money at it. 

I am beginning to suspect more and more that after realising that Apple would not repair his iMac Pro, Linus chose to make this clickbait video to recoup his expenditure rather than simply toss it. They clearly had more content planned for it. Content which obviously has to be shelved now that the iMac can no longer be used. 

As @abazigal said, LTT is not entitled to a repair. 

Any repair is really going to end up being a replacement at cost to LTT. 

3rd party repair is LTTs only option. 

LTT doesn’t get to ignore the fine print and complain that Apple won’t fix their iMac. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Ok, so I am an AASP in the San Francisco Bay Area and we are certified to service iMac pros. I do know that in the first couple months they did NOT have service parts available for these machines. If a customer did bring one in with a warranty hardware issue Apple would just swap the entire computer. As far as the display goes, it is essentially the same panel as the 2017 5k iMacs. Although, being Apple, it is a different assembly. They have different cables and also decided to add the iSight camera to the assembly. Our portal to Apple says that there are 2 of these displays available. If you all could provide me with the serial number of this iMac and ship the damaged display to us we would be able to swap these parts out for almost half the cost of the outright purchase price. 

Reply with a secure way to get in contact with you if this is something you’d like to do. 

Also im assuming that AppleCare was not purchased with this iMac. If it was, most likely it would have AppleCare+ and the repair  would only be the $99.00 usd deductible. 

Reguards,

mysterious AASP

Well from a fan from Morocco you could just come here and see what a black market known internationally called Darb Ghallef maybe you'll find anything you're looking for :D 

I know this sounds dumb but have you tried best buy? I work for geek squad in Canada and we sell warranty on imac pros that include accidental. So we would have to have a way to service them. Worth a shot.

Just saw your video, and figured this Might apply:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/ftc-staff-warns-companies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

Only did a cursory read, but this part seems relevant:

"The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies’ statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act. "

Sounds to me like they Might, (Not a lawyer) be in violation of Warranty Act.

ReviewTechUSA did a pretty objective review of the situation...seems like both sides had some good and bad points in this scenario.